Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Faye Dunaway honored on August 15 During Summer Under The Stars

Thank you, TCM, for honoring Faye Dunaway on August 15 during Summer Under The Stars.

I've only really discovered her work relatively recently and can't believe that I never realized what an amazing actor she is.

THE THREE MUSKETEERS, THREE DAYS OF CONDOR and A PLACE FOR LOVERS are scheduled and, of course, BONNIE AND CLYDE and CHINATOWN.

"She's my daughter. (slap)  . . . She's my sister. (slap)  . . . She's my daughter. (slap) . . . My sister, my daughter (slap, slap) . . . She's my sister AND my daughter!"

Born Bascom, Florida and University of Florida graduate.

And yet DESPITE that, she would go on to become a success!!!

(...sorry Jake, couldn't resist...jus' kiddin') ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Cold Sassy is much better than the reviews let on... but some will like it more so than others. They could have done without one subplot in it though that was seemingly recycled from Chinatown.

***possible spoiler***

Someone was not pleased with the fact that the movie started around Chapter 16 or 17 (maybe an exaggeration?)...and supposedly in the book it was a big deal when Grandfather asked others to pray for his new bride, because he did not often take to prayer. Though in the movie it is made to seem that he is more religious. Also, the boy and Grandfather grow up in the book but in the movie they do not seem to grow much (according to one reviewer).

Should've been the best day of the month, like James Caan day was last year.

But not for Canadians. Much better to be an American viewer on Friday.

Canada doesn't get 'Cold Sassy Tree', 'Oklahoma Crude', '3 Days of the Condor' or 'Chinatown'.

Instead we get 'The Extraordinary Seaman' 3 times - at 6am, 1:30pm and 8pm. Plus we get 'A Place for Lovers' twice - at 10pm and 4:30am. And, inexplicably, we get 'Take the High Ground' from 1953 (this is in place of 'Cold Sassy Tree' at 9:30 a.m.)

I don't know what to say.

Should've been the best day of the month, like James Caan day was last year.

But not for Canadians. Much better to be an American viewer on Friday.

Canada doesn't get 'Cold Sassy Tree', 'Oklahoma Crude', '3 Days of the Condor' or 'Chinatown'.

Instead we get 'The Extraordinary Seaman' 3 times - at 6am, 1:30pm and 8pm. Plus we get 'A Place for Lovers' twice - at 10pm and 4:30am. And, inexplicably, we get 'Take the High Ground' from 1953 (this is in place of 'Cold Sassy Tree' at 9:30 a.m.)

I don't know what to say.

Dare I ask why the Canadian schedule is different?  Anything to do with owning the rights to the movies?

on the Canadian schedule we get repeats in one day

The Extraordinary Seaman 6 am 1:30 pm and 8:00 pm

The Champ 11:15 am and then 12 am

A Place for Lovers 10 pm and 4:30 am

they have shown Network before why is that not on the list

I have never noticed TCM showing the same movie 3 times in one day and wonder if that is going to be a regular thing

I might watch Chinatown again too (so good)....

Very good indeed.

"She's my daughter. (slap) . . . She's my sister. (slap) . . . She's my daughter. (slap) . . . My sister, my daughter (slap, slap) . . . She's my sister AND my daughter!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Oklahoma Crude is a good,  somewhat strange movie.    

I am watching it now. Love the authentic period detail. The 1970s were truly a renaissance period in Hollywood. Before everything became blockbusters and sequels and mindless special effects, we actually had stories with rich characterization, a message or two, and American cinema as something of great artistic value.

I am watching it now. Love the authentic period detail. The 1970s were truly a renaissance period in Hollywood. Before everything became blockbusters and sequels and mindless special effects, we actually had stories with rich characterization, a message or two, and American cinema as something of great artistic value.

OH! Way to start a fight here, TB!

(...Yep...just wait 'til all the "Classicists" around here read THAT one!!!) LOL 

;)

• Like 1

on the Canadian schedule we get repeats in one day

The Extraordinary Seaman 6 am 1:30 pm and 8:00 pm

The Champ 11:15 am and then 12 am

A Place for Lovers 10 pm and 4:30 am

they have shown Network before why is that not on the list

I have never noticed TCM showing the same movie 3 times in one day and wonder if that is going to be a regular thing

Yes it is very annoying, and it appears that given the quality of the replacements, that TCM is being paid to show them.

The 1970s were truly a renaissance period in Hollywood. Before everything became blockbusters and sequels and mindless special effects, we actually had stories with rich characterization, a message or two, and American cinema as something of great artistic value.

I love American movies from the 1970s before the blockbuster mentality took over.

Freed from the shackles of the code, American cinema from the 1970s was truly rich and exciting.

Unfortunately the blockbuster mindset led to new constraints in material  just as the code had contrained content. 

• Like 1

I love American movies from the 1970s before the blockbuster mentality took over.

Freed from the shackles of the code, American cinema from the 1970s was truly rich and exciting.

Unfortunately the blockbuster mindset led to new constraints in material  just as the code had contrained content. 

Right-- they were taking more risks in the 70s. Now they are afraid to alienate any segment of the audience, and most Hollywood films are as a result quite bland and uninspiring...not to mention, predictable.