Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars Lineup August 2014

Incredible SUTS lineup.  Best in a couple of years.  Walter Pidgeon never gets enough cred and I am thrilled to see him get "his day."  Stanwyck, William Powell, Carole Lombard, Cary Grant and Paul Newman  --  I never get enough of them no matter how many times I see their films. Plus Herbert Marshall, Lee Tracy and Alexis Smith.  But the best surprise of all is a day devoted to the amazing Thelma Ritter.  Can't wait for August.

• Like 1

That film, and its remake-- VICKI-- both play on the Fox Movie Channel.  You will enjoy it.  It is one of Grable's rare dramatic roles.

Those are two films where when I saw the second one I kept thinking I'd seen it before, but couldn't quite place it until I figured out that Richard Boone was Laird Cregar.

• Like 1

The movie I'm most looking forward to on Betty Grable's day is I WAKE UP SCREAMING though I'll record some of the seldom seen musicals too.

You'll love I Wake Up Screaming---it's impossible not to---but though Grable and Victor Mature are the nominal leads, and Carole Landis also has a brief part as Vicki at the beginning, what you'll remember from that movie five years from now is the "Street Scene" theme music and the unforgettable breakthrough performance of Laird Cregar as the  p e r v e r t e d  detective Ed Cornell. 

will give you a hint of the atmosphere.

And if you like Cornell here, you'll love Cregar on Alan Ladd's SUTS day, as the fastidious traitor in the first Ladd-Veronica Lake movie, This Gun For Hire.  Cregar's early death from a crash diet was truly one of Hollywood's greatest "what might have been" losses, much more than James Dean's and nearly as much as Jean Harlow's.  Cregar was born to play roles like this, and he dominates the screen every moment he's on it.

True, but other than Moreau's, how many of those films are going to be anything but the usual Hollywood fare?  I've yet to see any SUTS month honor more than one genuine "foreign" star with movies made in his or her country.  Moreau is the only one this year that fits that description.

Indeed, with examples like La Notte, Bay of Angels, and The Lovers.

Also, WAIT UNTIL DARK, which just aired a few nights ago, is quite often broadcast on TCM.  

Yes. I'm glad they are repeating The Secret People (shown when she was SOTM, but I missed it!) as she has a substantial role in that, but she's in Mob less than a minute! I could've done w/out that one......All the usual suspects are in the mix (MFL, Nun's Story, Children's Hour) which are shown often on TCM....

I agree Miss Hepburn's day is disappointing.  Where's Funny Face?  And What about Charade, that most delightful suspense adventure?  There's also a fun movie called Love Among Thieves.

But, you know, when you consider it, it's hard not to have an Audrey Hepburn day without a lot of usual suspects.  She doesn't have a huge filmography.

Looks like a great line-up to me.  Some exciting stars and films. 

My picks = Lee Tracy, Edmund O'Brien, Alan Ladd, Thelma Ritter, Gladys George and Little Joey Cotton.

A bad movie starring any of those actors still has something going for it.

Yancey

I agree Miss Hepburn's day is disappointing.  Where's Funny Face?  And What about Charade, that most delightful suspense adventure?  There's also a fun movie called Love Among Thieves.

But, you know, when you consider it, it's hard not to have an Audrey Hepburn day without a lot of usual suspects.  She doesn't have a huge filmography.

True, but it's always the unusual suspects (her Paramount films) that arent shown....

I was looking over the schedule. A few notes about Claudette Colbert's day:

TOMORROW IS FOREVER is truly fantastic and we recently discussed this in the thread about the Enoch Arden theme in movies.

220px-the_smiling_lieutenant_poster.jpg

Also, I see that TCM has selected two Paramount classics-- THE SMILING LIEUTENANT (directed by Ernst Lubitsch) and the later motion picture SKYLARK, which I believe was Claudette's personal favorite. Plus, TCM is airing REMEMBER THE DAY, a 20th Century Fox title where she plays a teacher, along the lines of Mr. Chips, Miss Bishop and Miss Dove.

220px-poster_-_remember_the_day_01.jpg

I'm glad to see the latter three on the schedule although even though I've seen the others many, many times, I'll probably watch them again.  I can't think of any movie with Colbert in it being unwatchable.

• Like 1

Let's Make It Legal is a dud if you ask me.

Disagree.  I think there are some funny bits with Claudette and Macdonald Carey.  Toss Zachary Scott and Marilyn Monroe into the mix, and you get some laugh-out-loud moments.  Plus, a young Robert Wagner, with writing and direction by Richard Sale.  This is a good film.

A  few very interesting premieres I  am looking forward to are  SKYLARK with Claudette Colbert and AN ACT OF MURDER with Fredric March on Edmond O'Brien day.  My biggest and very realistic concern is that by time August rolls around these titles will be replaced by some other titles. It has happened numerous times in the past. For example; whatever happened to SEA SPOILERS during John Wayne tribute month ?  Premieres of Paramount and Universal titles that are planned disappear too easily from the schedule.

A  few very interesting premieres I  am looking forward to are  SKYLARK with Claudette Colbert and AN ACT OF MURDER with Fredric March on Edmond O'Brien day.  My biggest and very realistic concern is that by time August rolls around these titles will be replaced by some other titles. It has happened numerous times in the past. For example; whatever happened to SEA SPOILERS during John Wayne tribute month ?  Premieres of Paramount and Universal titles that are planned disappear too easily from the schedule.

Is SKYLARK a premiere?  What about AN ACT OF MURDER?  Is it a premiere?  I agree that many essential Paramount and Universal titles are screened too infrequently.

Well it's nice that we get to see Bombshell after it was previously canceled.  Two for the Road and Funny Face would be better Hepburn choices.  Are The Lovers and Bay of Angels premieres?  We need more foreign actors, so how about Chishyu Ryo?

Are The Lovers and Bay of Angels premieres?

I've been on the lookout for both of those movies since I began recording systematically  in September of 2009, and I can guarantee this will be the premiere of both of those movies since that date.  I think that Bay of Angels may have played on TCM before that, however, since somewhere I think I have an old VHS of it, and I can't imagine what other station I could've gotten it from.

Is SKYLARK a premiere?  What about AN ACT OF MURDER?  Is it a premiere?  I agree that many essential Paramount and Universal titles are screened too infrequently.

I have been wanting to see those two titles since I first got TCM in1997. Skylark has never been on cable TV in the U.S. An Act of Murder was on AMC ages ago when Bob Dorian was doing the introductions. So let's keep our fingers crossed, but not be too shocked if it is pulled.

I have been wanting to see those two titles since I first got TCM in1997. Skylark has never been on cable TV in the U.S. An Act of Murder was on AMC ages ago when Bob Dorian was doing the introductions. So let's keep our fingers crossed, but not be too shocked if it is pulled.

I know that TCM did air ARISE, MY LOVE about four or five years ago.  But it has not returned since then, not even when Ray Milland was Star of the Month.

Neither of the two have articles on them on their TCM Database pages.  Some posters have said that is a good indication they have not been shown.

Neither of the two have articles on them on their TCM Database pages.  Some posters have said that is a good indication they have not been shown.

And yet at some point prior to 2009 I recorded a commercial-free copy of Bay of Angels from my TV onto a VHS, which I can't play back since I junked my VHS player.  Can you think of any other non-premium channel where I might have been able to do that?  I've never subscribed to any of the premium movie channels, so it couldn't have come from any of them, and I know that PBS never shows films that obscure.

And yet at some point prior to 2009 I recorded a commercial-free copy of Bay of Angels from my TV onto a VHS, which I can't play back since I junked my VHS player.  Can you think of any other non-premium channel where I might have been able to do that?  I've never subscribed to any of the premium movie channels, so it couldn't have come from any of them, and I know that PBS never shows films that obscure.

I think the way it works is that if there is an article, then you can be confident it has been shown; if there is no article, then it is not likely to have been shown, but not a guarantee.  I've watched TCM a long time and can't recall it being shown.  Then again, my memory is no guarantee, either.  The only channel I can think of that might have shown it is Bravo, in the days it was concerned with the arts.  Maybe you can find a VHS in a pawn shop somewhere, and you know, I believe you can still buy one new for under $100 at your local big box electronic store.  If you live in a city with a well equipped library, it might have a VHS player for tapes in its collection.  If not, try a university library near you.

Now that Bay of Angels is playing in August, I won't need to figure out how to watch the VHS tape.  I've rented the DVD from Netflix in the interim, but I'm really looking forward to getting it in the DVD format.  I've never had Bravo, and back when I recorded it on tape I also didn't have IFC, which is about the only other network I can imagine might (might) have shown it.    Moreau gives great performances in all of her films, but her portrayal of a compulsive gambler in this movie may be her best one ever.  She's like a flame to her poor younger male companion's moth, but I can't say I'd have done any differently in his place.

Bay+2.jpg

I think we all dream of a TCM that one day could show a roughly equal presentation of material from each of Hollywood's Big Seven classic-era studios. While I personally have been thrilled by the dramatic increase of Fox material in the last five years, there seems to be far fewer Paramount and Universal films than there were five-plus years ago. During the John Wayne marathon, I made a point of staying up way too late (and I felt it the next day) to watch two highly atypical Wayne films, REAP THE WILD WIND (Paramount) and THE SPOILERS (Universal) back-to-back, because who knows when they'll ever be on TCM again?

I feel like it's not unthinkable that an Audrey Hepburn SUTS day in, say, 2005 might have included SABRINA, WAR AND PEACE and FUNNY FACE. Still, I'm delighted there will be ROMAN HOLIDAY, which hasn't been on TCM in an eon unless I missed it (and which absolutely shoud be an Essential). There are going to be pretty much all the usual Audrey films, though. The Brando and Grant days look pretty loaded down with titles I've seen multiple times, though I will try to make a point of seeing THE YOUNG LIONS, which I missed during 31 Days of Oscar.

Overall, I'm pretty intrigued, however. We appear to get all the usual MGM warhorses (Garland, Powell, Pidgeon and early Stewart) out of the way in the first week, opening up the rest of the month to more diversity. I'm personally particularly intrigued by Jane Fonda and Faye Dunnaway, who are "modern" actresses by TCM standards, both days featuring a number of films I haven't seen.

A few other random observations:

#1) No SEPARATE TABLES on David Niven day? I'd rather see that then CURSE OF THE PINK PANTHER, in which I read an ailing Niven had his voice overdubbed by Rich Little. Still, CURSE is probably a TCM premiere. Most of the other Niven selections I've seen many times on TCM.

#2) Even though I've seen almost all of these films, Barbara Stanwyck day will make me happy! Inexplicably, I just left BALL OF FIRE off my Ten-Best Films of 1941 (I did put LADY EVE on the list), but that's a movie I'll stop and watch no matter how many times I've seen it.

#3) William Powell and Carole Lombard days back-to-back, and we can't get a DODSWORTH in either of them?

#4) Definitely intrigued by Alexis Smith day. I've only seen two of the movies listed.

#5) Seems sacreligious to have Herbert Marshall day without TROUBLE IN PARADISE, but otherwise, I dig this lineup, including two different versions of THE LETTER.

#6) I recall Robert Osborne recently heaping praise on John Hodiak when LIFEBOAT was an Essential. He's an actor with whom I'm largely unfamilar, and I've only seen three of the films listed here, so I'm anticipating this day.

#7) I wouldn't have minded the original IMITATION OF LIFE on Claudette Colbert day, but I've only seen four of these films, so that appears to be a good day for me.

#8) I wouldn't object to a broader overview of Paul Newman's career, though more recent films are probably harder to obtain. I think this lineup could have benefited from the addition of films like THE VERDICT, ABSENCE OF MALICE or THE COLOR OF MONEY. The 80s was a pretty strong decade for Newman.

#9) Wish Joseph Cotten day had eliminated DUEL IN THE SUN, already airing on Herbert Marshall day, and replaced it with Universal's SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

#10) Alan Ladd ... well, this day looks pretty Paramount intensive, so hurrah!