Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars Lineup August 2014

• 2 weeks later...

My problems with some of the choices are some of the too frequently honored subjects (Barbara Stanwyck, James Stewart, Cary Grant,  even my #1 main man William Powell) . I love them all but they get more than enough play as it is. And choosing some films where the honoree has about 30 seconds of air time and maybe one line of dialogue is a real stretch.   I do like seeing Edmond O'Brien get a day and he did get an Oscar nomination for SEVEN DAYS IN MAY.  Some films that have several major stars giving stand out performances are going to get frequent showings. However if we have Lancaster, Douglas, March, O'Brien and Ava Gardner all getting a day don't show the same film 5 times, eh?

Believe it or not, this is Powell's SUTS debut.

Also, we are starting to see more Paramount stars-- Carole Lombard, Audrey Hepburn and Alan Ladd-- though only small dabs of Paramount films are being used. 

Claudette Colbert was a Paramount star, too.

Regarding Lombard, the only Paramount film being shown on her day is "True Confession" (when Carole got the honor in 2011, the only Paramount movie that day was another Lombard-MacMurray pairing, "Hands Across The Table"). Since she spent seven years at Paramount, one wishes more of her films there could show up on TCM -- the lesser titles could take the place of her programmers elsewhere. (The same applies for Claudette; I'm delighted "The Smiling Lieutenant" is airing.) I wrote about this at http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/696321.html.

That is shocking.

Not all that shocking, when you keep in mind that Bill was born July 29, 1892, and I'm sure that since SUTS debuted in 2003, TCM did a few Powell birthday celebrations over the years.