Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shirley Jones on TCM

EdgeCliffe

I enjoyed watching Jones talk about some of her favorite films on TCM.  But she had some wrong info that someone gave her regarding Frank Sinatra backing out of CAROUSEL.   Jones stated some one had told her Ava Gardner wanted Sinatra to get to Africa quick so he walked out during the beginning of filming the R&H musical.  False.  1953 was kind of a low point for Sinatra and he was hanging around the set of Mogambo and driving Gardner up the wall.  She called Harry Cohn at Columbia and somehow convinced him to test Sinatra for the role of Maggio in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.  MOGAMBO was already in release (1953) before filming started for CAROUSEL which was released in 1955.   The original  story is true, Sinatra did not want to shoot two movies, one for CINEMASCOPE and one for CINEMASCOPE 55.  He said he was only being paid for one film and walked off the set in a huff.  I wonder if FOX filed a lawsuit.

I enjoyed watching Jones talk about some of her favorite films on TCM.  But she had some wrong info that someone gave her regarding Frank Sinatra backing out of CAROUSEL.   Jones stated some one had told her Ava Gardner wanted Sinatra to get to Africa quick so he walked out during the beginning of filming the R&H musical.  False.  1953 was kind of a low point for Sinatra and he was hanging around the set of Mogambo and driving Gardner up the wall.  She called Harry Cohn at Columbia and somehow convinced him to test Sinatra for the role of Maggio in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.  MOGAMBO was already in release (1953) before filming started for CAROUSEL which was released in 1955.   The original  story is true, Sinatra did not want to shoot two movies, one for CINEMASCOPE and one for CINEMASCOPE 55.  He said he was only being paid for one film and walked off the set in a huff.  I wonder if FOX filed a lawsuit.

I think they worked it all out, because Sinatra would do CAN-CAN for Fox not long afterward.

1953 was kind of a low point for Sinatra and he was hanging around the set of Mogambo and driving Gardner up the wall.  She called Harry Cohn at Columbia and somehow convinced him to test Sinatra for the role of Maggio in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

Wow! So it was AVA who instigated that whole "horse head" thing, EH???!!!

(...never heard THAT one before...man, the stuff you learn here at TCM.com!!!)  ;)

Was Carousel filmed both ways? I thought it was Oklahoma that was filmed in the 2 versions......

Well, that wouldnt be the only inaccuracy in Shirley's tome. It was full of them. No fact checkers apparently........

Was Carousel filmed both ways? I thought it was Oklahoma that was filmed in the 2 versions......

Well, that wouldnt be the only inaccuracy in Shirley's tome. It was full of them. No fact checkers apparently........

I remember reading that they thought they would have to film it both ways.  Sinatra walked and was replaced with Gordon MacRae, Shirley's costar from OKLAHOMA!  After they filmed the first musical number with Jones and MacRae, they realized that they did not need to film it both ways.  By then Sinatra had moved on, and MacRae was already signed so they went forward.  If Sinatra had been willing to film the first number, he would not have had to do it twice.  So he sort of jumped ship too soon.  I think there was a television variety show where Jones and Sinatra did perform a song from CAROUSEL, and that was the only time they really worked together.  MacRae's musical film career quickly wound down and by 1960, he was done with movies.  

So you're sayin' Shawn Cassidy's **** ISN'T as grandiose as Shirley says it is???

(...just wanted to see if this new freakin' word filter around here that somehow filters out the word "m-o-u-t-h" would allow "s-h-l-o-n-g", THAT'S all!!!)

(...well, I guess it doesn't, and now I know!!!)

So you're sayin' Shawn Cassidy's **** ISN'T as grandiose as Shirley says it is???

(...just wanted to see if this new freakin' word filter around here that somehow filters out the word "m-o-u-t-h" would allow "s-h-l-o-n-g", THAT'S all!!!)

One hopes that you meant to refer to Jack Cassidy and not Shawn in regards to the rest of the subject you brought up. Otherwise it becomes a major EEEWWWWW. (Either way, it's an EWWWW but I'd prefer Shirley talk  about Jack's prowess in that department instead of her son's.)

One hopes that you meant to refer to Jack Cassidy and not Shawn in regards to the rest of the subject you brought up. Otherwise it becomes a major EEEWWWWW. (Either way, it's an EWWWW but I'd prefer Shirley talk  about Jack's prowess in that department instead of her son's.)

Agreed, but I didn't read the book, though I thought Hibi(who I think had) once mentioned around here that Shirley mentions in her book that she somehow knew one of Jack's sons(now that I think about it, it might have been David, not Shawn) hadn't fallen far from the ol' apple tree in this regard.

What say you, Hibi?

(...and yeah, I probably shouldn't have taken this thing in this direction, but I thought Hibi, who's just expressed her frustration with the word filter in another thread, might get a kick out of my post and how I presented it...and besides, she knows I have "no shame"...ain't that right, Hibi???!!!) ;)

LOL

Edited by Dargo

LOL. Well, I wouldnt know about that. According to Shirl, all the men in her family were large, including stepson David. I was referring to aspects of her career. Whoever the ghostwriter was, didnt bother to check her statements.

There was also her assertion that David was the ROCKSTAR of the CENTURY that I'd say was questionable...

Apparently SCH---- is censored too, but I got your drift! :D

Agreed, but I didn't read the book, though I thought Hibi(who I think had) once mentioned around here that Shirley mentions in her book that she somehow knew one of Jack's sons(now that I think about it, it might have been David, not Shawn) hadn't fallen far from the ol' apple tree in this regard.

What say you, Hibi?

(...and yeah, I probably shouldn't have taken this thing in this direction, but I thought Hibi, who's just expressed her frustration with the word filter in another thread, might get a kick out of my post and how I presented it...and besides, she knows I have "no shame"...ain't that right, Hibi???!!!) ;)

LOL

Yes, ALL the men in her extended family were "that way" according to Shirl........

She didnt talk about Marty though......

I remember reading that they thought they would have to film it both ways.  Sinatra walked and was replaced with Gordon MacRae, Shirley's costar from OKLAHOMA!  After they filmed the first musical number with Jones and MacRae, they realized that they did not need to film it both ways.  By then Sinatra had moved on, and MacRae was already signed so they went forward.  If Sinatra had been willing to film the first number, he would not have had to do it twice.  So he sort of jumped ship too soon.  I think there was a television variety show where Jones and Sinatra did perform a song from CAROUSEL, and that was the only time they really worked together.  MacRae's musical film career quickly wound down and by 1960, he was done with movies.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up!

Was his drinking the reason for the "winding down"?

Since he quit on the actual first day of shooting, all the pre-production stuff would have been done.  Which means, he would have recorded all the music for the film.   In which Fox valut are those recordings?  While I find both Frank Sinatra and Gordon MacRae too old for the role (the only way Billy is the least bit bearable, is if he is a stupid kid doing stupid stuff), I think Sinatra would have been great in the role.  Of course, he would have been greater, 15 years earlier.  MacRae, of course, is fine and his vocals perfect.  Jones cannot be bettered, in any of her musical films.

• Like 1

Since he quit on the actual first day of shooting, all the pre-production stuff would have been done.  Which means, he would have recorded all the music for the film.   In which Fox valut are those recordings?  While I find both Frank Sinatra and Gordon MacRae too old for the role (the only way Billy is the least bit bearable, is if he is a stupid kid doing stupid stuff), I think Sinatra would have been great in the role.  Of course, he would have been greater, 15 years earlier.  MacRae, of course, is fine and his vocals perfect.  Jones cannot be bettered, in any of her musical films.

I agree that Jones was best as a musical star.  Although musicals were not as popular after 1955, Shirley Jones, Pat Boone, Ann-Margret, Connie Francis and Elvis Presley proved they could still be profitable into the mid-60s.