Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would love to find the title of this old film I saw on TCM!

JLE

I caught a brief scene or two of a film on TCM about a decade ago. One of those situations where the volume was off and people kept changing the channel. I believe the film was black and white but I'm not certain. I can only remember a gentleman arriving at a foreign villa somewhere who comes to rescue a woman who is more or less being held against her will by the man who owns it. Not clear if her rescuer is a previous love interest or friend. They escape in a car during a party or gathering. This scene was in the middle of the film. Slightly later in the film they are in the wilderness where she is dressed in leopard print. The film may have started with two gentlemen arriving at her residence in the city. I would love to find the title of this film so I can buy it!

I wonder if it could be "Modesty Blaise" with Monica Vitti, Dirk Bogarde, and Terence Stamp.  It  vaguely fits the bill.  Monica Vitti's character is a spy and is held by Dirk Bogarde on an island.  And I think I remember a leopard print ensemble!  I'm probably way off, but it's high camp and great fun if you've not seen it.  

Thank you very kindly for the reply! Yes I have to agree, Modesty Blaise looks like a fantastic good time. I'll certainly have to catch this. Unfortunately for me it's back to the scavenger hunt. The film I'm looking for is definitely a bit older and more of a drama. I could be wrong about the leopard print too. This may have been a safari outfit of some kind. I thought these may have been two different films back to back that I was confusing for one but I remember the main characters were the same in both if that were the case. I could almost swear that one of the two gentlemen who came to visit her in a "New York style" apartment at the beginning of the movie was her fiancé? Apparently that didn't work out too well if she was hanging out at some dark mysterious man's villa during a large cocktail party presumably against her will having to be discretely rescued by the guy from the beginning of the film.

Notorious is definitely a good suggestion and also a great film. Unfortunately this one gets crossed of the list too. The female lead in my mystery movie is more of a socialite than a spy. I’m almost tempted to try and find television listings for TCM from a decade ago. I think this film ran the same week as they showed “Flying Down to Rio”.

Thank you very kindly for the reply! Yes I have to agree, Modesty Blaise looks like a fantastic good time. I'll certainly have to catch this. Unfortunately for me it's back to the scavenger hunt. The film I'm looking for is definitely a bit older and more of a drama. I could be wrong about the leopard print too. This may have been a safari outfit of some kind. I thought these may have been two different films back to back that I was confusing for one but I remember the main characters were the same in both if that were the case. I could almost swear that one of the two gentlemen who came to visit her in a "New York style" apartment at the beginning of the movie was her fiancé? Apparently that didn't work out too well if she was hanging out at some dark mysterious man's villa during a large cocktail party presumably against her will having to be discretely rescued by the guy from the beginning of the film.

Sorry about that; Modesty Blaise was a bit of a long shot.  It's maddening to not have enough to go on to find on the internet.  Fingers crossed it will somehow be discovered!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings