Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Film Only

A thread to pay tribute to people who made an impact appearing in one -- and only one -- film.

The Safety Last posts in the Interesting Pic thread reminded me of "human fly" Bill Strother, who not only doubled for Lloyd in the climb's long shots but also played a large supporting role as Harold's friend.

j8OHuk4.jpg

LHwDHpg.jpg

TxCdi7q.jpg

According to IMDb Strother never made another film. I guess his human fly personal appearances paid better than any film offers he got (if any).

This page

http://www.alwaysmorequestions.com/?p=166

gives some info on Strother's later life.

He was injured in a fall around 1930 -- about the time Harvey Parry was doubling for Lloyd in Feet First -- and moved to Virgina, where he operated a boarding house and also worked as a Santa Claus.

kGvRfSb.jpg

Bill Strother died in an automobile accident in 1957. He was 61.

Jack Moss was unforgettable as an unspeaking killer in Journey Into Fear.

L-R: Eustace Wyatt, Joseph Cotten, Jack Moss

b5EMqhF.jpg

Moss produced several films, including classics like The Biscuit Eater and Shepherd Of The Hills. But he's best remembered as Orson Welles' business manager during the RKO period.

wQBDKBQ.jpg

Supposedly Welles offered him the JIF role, and Moss accepted -- on condition he didn't have to speak.

This page paints a very negative portrait of Moss and his influence on Welles:

http://www.wellesnet.com/?p=125

We won't go into the Freudian aspects of someone casting his business manager as a vicious killer.

Hal Stalmaster had a handful of television credits-- but his only big screen role came as the title character of Disney's JOHNNY TREMAIN.

British born Hatty Jones' only film role (so far) is 1998's MADELINE.  Just recently, she has returned to acting on television.  She is still quite young and may eventually make more movies.

A thread to pay tribute to people who made an impact appearing in one -- and only one -- film.

The Safety Last posts in the Interesting Pic thread reminded me of "human fly" Bill Strother, who not only doubled for Lloyd in the climb's long shots but also played a large supporting role as Harold's friend.

j8OHuk4.jpg

LHwDHpg.jpg

TxCdi7q.jpg

According to IMDb Strother never made another film. I guess his human fly personal appearances paid better than any film offers he got (if any).

This page

http://www.alwaysmorequestions.com/?p=166

gives some info on Strother's later life.

He was injured in a fall around 1930 -- about the time Harvey Parry was doubling for Lloyd in Feet First -- and moved to Virgina, where he operated a boarding house and also worked as a Santa Claus.

kGvRfSb.jpg

Bill Strother died in an automobile accident in 1957. He was 61.

Madame Konstantin, who played Claude Rains' mother in NOTORIOUS.

Peter Holden, who is second-billed to John Barrymore in the RKO drama THE GREAT MAN VOTES, made no other films.  He did no television either.

From what I've found Peter Holden Parkhurst was and is one of those people who does something and then just considers it done. He did the same thing with the Broadway "career" that led him to Hollywood. He was in ON BORROWED TIME there.

He apparently spent most of his adult life working on inventions and finding new experiences. A close friend, writer Dayton Lummis (son of the actor, I'm guessing), has written of Peter as being quite mad. I wrote to Lummis for more information, but he apparently does not accept U.S. mail. 

BTW, Peter entered school in the second grade at age five. 

astounding-she-monster.jpgShirley Kilpatrick. She appeared in one, and only one, movie. She made a big impression in it - playing the title character.

astounding-she-monster.jpgShirley Kilpatrick. She appeared in one, and only one, movie. She made a big impression in it - playing the title character.

THE ASTOUNDING SHE MONSTER, a  classic from 1957

Joseph N Welch, who plays the judge in ANATOMY OF A MURDER.  (My favorite James Stewart film and it has Lee Remick too ;) . Unfortunately, Welch died soon after making the movie (maybe he would have gotten other acting offers)

I knew I'd think of one. I suddenly remembered that one of my all time favorite movies, 1776, is mostly made up of the original Broadway cast, many of whom are Broadway actors, not film actors. So from the film 1776 we have these 3 men whose ONLY film was 1776:

Donald Madden (John Dickinson, PA)

Ralston Hill (Secretary Charles Thomson)

Charles Rule (Joseph Hewes, NC)

They all were in many a Broadway show, but I for one am glad they made this particular film, since tis partly the original cast that makes it awesome (especially John Dickinson, the perfect foil to William Daniels).

24-01-john_dickinson.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Rosamond Pinchot (October 26, 1904 – January 24, 1938) was an American socialite, stage and film actress.

Born in New York City, Pinchot was the daughter of Amos Pinchot, a wealthy lawyer and a key figure in the Progressive Party and Gertrude Minturn Pinchot, the daughter of shipping magnate Robert Bowne Minturn, Jr. Her uncle was Pennsylvania Governor Gifford Pinchot and her cousin was Edie Sedgwick.The family divided their time between their home in New York City and the family estate, Grey Towers, in Milford, Pennsylvania.

At the age of nineteen, Pinchot was discovered by Max Reinhardt while traveling on an ocean liner with her mother. Reinhardt cast her as a nun who runs away from a convent in the Broadway production of Karl Vollmoller's The Miracle. Pinchot's appearance in the play caused a sensation and led to her receiving considerable attention from the press who named her "the loveliest woman in America".

Vecw728.jpg

He later cast her in productions of William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and Franz Werfel's The Eternal Road.

8UFlmcQ.jpg

She made her only film appearance in the 1935 adaptation of The Three Musketeers, as Queen Anne.

k5fn0GC.jpg

TCnyIYO.jpg

On the morning of January 24, 1938, a cook found Pinchot's body in the front seat of her car parked in the garage of a rented estate in Old Brookville, New York. Her death was later determined to be caused by asphyxia due to carbon monoxide poisoning and was ruled a suicide. Pinchot left two suicide notes of which the contents were never made public.

In 2008 Pinchot's granddaughter published a biography of the actress.

oLECqUA.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings