Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In character with Thelma Ritter

TopBilled

I read somewhere that she holds the record for the greatest number of Oscar nominations for Supporting Actress.  I think she was nominated six times.  There will never be another quite like her.  She's like Eve Arden---one of a kind.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that she holds the record for the greatest number of Oscar nominations for Supporting Actress.  I think she was nominated six times.  There will never be another quite like her.  She's like Eve Arden---one of a kind.

Completely agree.

Her Oscar noms were for: ALL ABOUT EVE; THE MATING SEASON; WITH A SONG IN MY HEART; PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (which I consider her best); PILLOW TALK; and BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ (another good one).  I also think she could easily have been nominated for REAR WINDOW, because she is truly excellent there as well.

Completely agree.

Her Oscar noms were for: ALL ABOUT EVE; THE MATING SEASON; WITH A SONG IN MY HEART; PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (which I consider her best); PILLOW TALK; and BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ (another good one).  I also think she could easily have been nominated for REAR WINDOW, because she is truly excellent there as well.

I agree. Her performance in PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET is one of the best supporting performances ever.

Somehow I find an amazing resemblance between Judge Judith Schiendlin and Thelma Ritter.

Completely agree.  They're a pair of tough broads from Brooklyn with an old fashioned Brooklyn way about them.  Love em both.

In my view, Thelma Ritter is the true definition of a supporting actor or actress.  She not only supports the leads in her scenes, but she supports the overall movie by adding her magic and special skill that benefits/improves the entire picture.

I read that she was nominated for an Emmy for her work as the mother in the television version of A CATERED AFFAIR.  It's a shame she was not able to do the film version-- it might have been her first lead actress nomination, and she might have taken home the Oscar that time.  I see her fitting the role better than her ALL ABOUT EVE costar, Bette.

Completely agree.

Yes, she definitely deserved one for Rear Window. Birdman not so much.......

LOVE THELMA!!! One of the best. I agree she is amazing in REAR WINDOW and should have won an Oscar many, many times.

Thelma moments:

thelmaritter.jpg

"Listen, wise guy, I didn't feel 21 when I was 21." --The Mating Season

tmb_527_480.jpg

"Look, Mr. Jefferies, I'm not an educated woman, but I can tell you one thing. When a man and a woman see each other and like each other they ought to come together - wham! Like a couple of taxis on Broadway, not sit around analyzing each other like two specimens in a bottle."  --Rear Window

TR-thelmarittereve-nag.png

Margo: You bought the new girdles a size smaller. I can feel it. Birdie: Somethin' maybe grew a size larger. Margo: When we get home, you're going to get into one of those girdles and act for two and a half hours. Birdie: I couldn't get into the girdle in two and a half hours.                                                          --All About Eve

Miracle-34th-Ritter.png

"Macy's ain't got any. Nobody's got any."  --Miracle on 34th Street

• Like 1

Somehow I find an amazing resemblance between Judge Judith Schiendlin and Thelma Ritter.

Completely agree.  They're a pair of tough broads from Brooklyn with an old fashioned Brooklyn way about them.  Love em both.

Ritter would have actually made a great Alice Kramden. She was more like Pert Kelton, though, than Audrey Meadows.

It is sad that one of our very best supporting actresses never won an Oscar. I wonder why not?

She probably wasnt part of the Hollywood crowd. So many people never received Oscars in their careers.

imgres-24.jpg

She deservingly earns her second Academy Award nomination (Best Supporting Actress) for THE MATING SEASON-- airing on TCM tonight.

This one should have been her third nomination.  She should have received her first for her excellent performance in 1949's A LETTER TO THREE WIVES.

Let's just say there probably wasn't a role she shouldn't have been nominated for.  I loved her Aggie in How the West Was Won and agree her best role was Pickup on South Street (her death scene is unforgettable).  Hope Emerson and she forgot more than most folks ever learned about acting and set a pretty high bar for the rest.  Neither were glamour types although Arturo gave us a nice shot of Thelma all dolled up.  Thanks!  

Thelma did have one opportunity to be glammed up.  Does anyone remember "For Love or Money"?  This is one of those wonderful, splashy Universal romantic comedies.  In it she plays the mother of three beautiful daughters, including Mitzi Gaynor.  Her costumes are beautiful and she is completely convincing as a wealthy mother wanting the best for her family.   Another enjoyable role was in "The Second Time Around."  If ever there was a Thelma Ritter role, this would be it.  She played a no-nonsense pioneer woman who befriends Debbie Reynolds.  It's a wonderful western comedy.

Terrence.

Thelma did have one opportunity to be glammed up.  Does anyone remember "For Love or Money"?  This is one of those wonderful, splashy Universal romantic comedies.  In it she plays the mother of three beautiful daughters, including Mitzi Gaynor.  Her costumes are beautiful and she is completely convincing as a wealthy mother wanting the best for her family.   Another enjoyable role was in "The Second Time Around."  If ever there was a Thelma Ritter role, this would be it.  She played a no-nonsense pioneer woman who befriends Debbie Reynolds.  It's a wonderful western comedy.

Terrence.

I vaguely remember it being shown on network tv years ago. Have never seen it. Dont think TCM has ever shown it......

Terrence.

Both those titles-- FOR LOVE OR MONEY and THE SECOND TIME AROUND-- are scheduled for Thelma Ritter's day in August during Summer Under the Stars.

• Like 1

TopBilled, thanks for letting me know that those two Thelma Ritter movies are scheduled for sometime soon.  "The Second Time Around" I have in my library, so I can see that one whenever I want to.  But it's been years since I've seen "For Love or Money" amd I'm already looking forward to seeing it again.  Thanks again.

Terrence.

• Like 1

TopBilled, thanks for letting me know that those two Thelma Ritter movies are scheduled for sometime soon.  "The Second Time Around" I have in my library, so I can see that one whenever I want to.  But it's been years since I've seen "For Love or Money" amd I'm already looking forward to seeing it again.  Thanks again.

Terrence.

You're welcome. The day to mark on your calendar is August 20.

By the way, five of her six Oscar-nominated performances will air on that day as well.  The only one that is absent: ALL ABOUT EVE.

• Like 1

Both those titles-- FOR LOVE OR MONEY and THE SECOND TIME AROUND-- are scheduled for Thelma Ritter's day in August during Summer Under the Stars.

Coincidentally, both of those titles were titles of big soul or disco hits during the '70s. Now, please get back to Thelma Rotter. 

Coincidentally, both of those titles were titles of big soul or disco hits during the '70s. Now, please get back to Thelma Rotter.

Finance, if you mean the 1974 hit by the O'Jays, the title is "For the Love of Money"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings