Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Commercials on TCM

clore

Don't get excited, it's just that this airing of a February 1974 Mitzi Gaynor special has so far included the original ads for Kraft that viewers saw way back when.

So don't all go out to buy Miracle Whip or thinking that this is the wave of the future for the channel.

I started watching the Mitzi special, I loved all the cheesy "70s-ness."  I DVR'd it to watch the rest later.  While I don't like seeing new, current commercials, I love watching old commercials.  Especially when they still wrote jingles.  Even though Miracle Whip is disgusting, and the thought of Chicken Ala King with Miracle Whip sauce sounds horrible, I loved the commercial.  It was even fun to see the little blurb at the beginning saying that "Here's Lucy" and "The New Dick Van Dyke Show" were not being shown that evening in lieu of Mitzi's show.  I liked what I saw of Mitzi's special, I hope TCM considers airing more of them and maybe other specials as filler between movies.

• Like 1

I have to admit, seeing commercials touting the "goodness" of Cheez Whiz and Velveeta did make me laugh. I am a big fan of Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp, but haven't had any in years.

I did remember that salad dressing ad, it reminded me of when one could not find Russian dressing (my favorite) and had to get Thousand Islands instead.

Taken within the context of the broadcast I liked it.  Puts the entire show in context. Not to mention airing that way made for a complete program.  The quality of the source material was superb.

Bundled with Mitzi Gaynor's films while she spoke about her experiences made the evening complete.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing more of this type of programming if presented in the same manner.

Great job TCM!

Yancey

I remember these specials well. She did a bunch of them in the 60's and 70's. Loved to watch her preform. Would love to see more of them..

Along the same lines as the series of specials Fred Astaire did with Barrie Chase in the late 50's and 60's. Those would be worth showing also. I like Barrie Chase as his dance pardner. Her dad was Bordon Chase, the screenwriter who did "Winchester '73,", "Bend of the River" and "Red River" among others.

Ya know clore, your thread here COULD maybe segue into people posting YouTube clips of big name studio era stars doing television commercials back in the day...say like this one starring Hank Fonda among his series for GAF commercials from the 1970's, and co-starring a future little star and Oscar winner herself....

(...hope ya don't mind, as from your initial post this seemed to me a natural progression of it)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings