Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mitzi Gaynor on TCM!

TopBilled

I think this topic is worth mentioning, because this is an example of what TCM is doing right.

Number one: while we know that not all classic stars are still living or available for an interview, it was wonderful to see Mitzi on camera speaking with Bob Osborne about the films that were being screened. Recent examples of this have included sit-downs with Robert Wagner and Shirley Jones. Thumbs up. Doesn't Mitzi's irreverent personality remind you a lot of Betty Hutton...?

Number two: the programmers picked films from a variety of studios-- they did not rely just on selections from the Turner Library that have played endlessly on the channel.  We did have Mitzi in an MGM picture, LES GIRLS, but we also had a Paramount offering (THE JOKER IS WILD), two Fox titles (THE I DON'T CARE GIRL and GOLDEN GIRL) plus a rare television special.  TCM is to be lauded for such a diverse selection of works showcasing Miss Gaynor.

Number three: Mitzi's comments about dancing promote performing arts in a way that other movie channels are unable or unwilling to do.  The sit-down was entertaining and educational.

Thanks for a job well done!

• Like 4

I am definitely on the Mitzi Bandwagon, too, Yancecravat and TopBilled! Three great reasons you mentioned, TopBIlled.

And TCM should be praised for such a wonderful evening with Robert and Mitzi. I also adored her special, and I am so grateful that they aired it! :-)

• Like 1

I am definitely on the Mitzi Bandwagon, too, Yancecravat and TopBilled! Three great reasons you mentioned, TopBIlled.

And TCM should be praised for such a wonderful evening with Robert and Mitzi. I also adored her special, and I am so grateful that they aired it! :-)

Yes, it was an evening of quality television.  Robert called it a Mitzi mini-marathon.

• Like 1

I loved the Mitzi Gaynor night.  Even though There's No Business Like Show Business is not an amazing film (I do enjoy it though.  Mostly for Mitzi, Donald O'Connor and Marilyn Monroe), I always enjoyed Mitzi's work.  It was the first thing I had ever seen Mitzi in.  I initially started watching Les Girls last night because Gene Kelly (who I love) was in it.  I can't say that Les Girls is among the best Gene Kelly films I've seen, though I would rank it a notch above Brigadoon; but I really loved Gene and Mitzi's dances together.  If you're a young dancer like Mitzi Gaynor was at the time, who wouldn't want a chance at getting to dance with Gene Kelly?  I also watched The I Don't Care Girl.  I loved Mitzi's performance of I Don't Care and thought all the performances were fun.  David Wayne and Oscar Levant were great.  I'll admit, my first exposure to David Wayne was when he played Blanche's dad, "Big Daddy," on The Golden Girls.  I have now seen him in this film and in The Tender Trap.  I started watching Mitzi's television special; but needed to go to bed, so I plan on watching the rest of it tonight.  I especially loved that they kept the original 1974 commercials intact.  I even enjoyed seeing the little blurb about Here's Lucy and The New Dick Van Dyke Show being pre-empted that evening for Mitzi's television special.  I hope TCM considers airing more of Mitzi's specials and perhaps other shows of that nature as another way to provide filler between their movies.

Finally, I was happy to see Mitzi herself talking to Robert Osborne and I was glad to see that she looks good and is still busy and active.  It makes me happy to see stars from Classic Hollywood that are still active and healthy and can provide anecdotes about working in Hollywood during that time.  Hearing a star's stories about working with other actors and directors are always my favorite parts of their interview.

It's always wondferful when RO interviews classic film stars. What I found most interesting and I've always felt the same way was when Mitzi revealed that she thought Donald O'Connor was a better dancer than Gene Kelly. I've always felt that Donald was never praised enough. Mitzi said he was the better dancer, but Gene was the better partner. I've never heard anyone make a comment like that about Donald and Gene and those have always been my sentiments, even though I love Gene. Surprised RO didn't comment on that remark of hers, would have really been interesting if he had. It was still great to see Mitzi looking so good and obviously happy, so no, comparing Mitzi to Betty is a bit of a stretch (one poster here made that comparision)

It's so apprpeciated that TCM does these interviews and the admiration all the stars have for Mr. Osborne is obvious. Thanks TCM for all these great interviews and giving us the opportunity to see and hear the legendary classic film stars that are still with us.

Geez, I didn't see ANY of that stuff.  Was off doing other stuff and missed it.

But I agree about O'Connor.  Always seemed to get the short end in conversations about great dancers, and usually overshadowed by Astair and Kelly.  Mitzi too, usually got overlooked when names like Miller and Rogers were in the mix.  Not unusual for me, but when the talk turns to opinions of "the most fabulous" women dancers, my vote usually goes to Mitzy and JULIET PROWSE.

Sepiatone

What great comments you all have made about Ms. Gaynor.  She's an amazing performer.  She was great in performing the title song from "Anything Goes."  And it was good to read the wonderful comments but Donald O'Connor's dancing.  True, he is very under-appreciated.  Just look at his duets with Vera-Ellen in "Call Me Madam".  They made such a great pair.

Terrence.

I forgot all about this last night. Too bad. Would've liked to have seen Joker is Wild again. Didnt realize Mitzi was actually going to be on with RO.

THE JOKER IS WILD is basically a true account of what happened to Joe E. Lewis. What is not mentioned is that Al Capone gave him significant financial essistance to get him back on his feet and into performing again after his throat was slashed..

I loved the Mitzi Gaynor night.  Even though There's No Business Like Show Business is not an amazing film (I do enjoy it though.  Mostly for Mitzi, Donald O'Connor and Marilyn Monroe), I always enjoyed Mitzi's work.  It was the first thing I had ever seen Mitzi in.  I initially started watching Les Girls last night because Gene Kelly (who I love) was in it.  I can't say that Les Girls is among the best Gene Kelly films I've seen, though I would rank it a notch above Brigadoon; but I really loved Gene and Mitzi's dances together.  If you're a young dancer like Mitzi Gaynor was at the time, who wouldn't want a chance at getting to dance with Gene Kelly?  I also watched The I Don't Care Girl.  I loved Mitzi's performance of I Don't Care and thought all the performances were fun.  David Wayne and Oscar Levant were great.  I'll admit, my first exposure to David Wayne was when he played Blanche's dad, "Big Daddy," on The Golden Girls.  I have now seen him in this film and in The Tender Trap.  I started watching Mitzi's television special; but needed to go to bed, so I plan on watching the rest of it tonight.  I especially loved that they kept the original 1974 commercials intact.  I even enjoyed seeing the little blurb about Here's Lucy and The New Dick Van Dyke Show being pre-empted that evening for Mitzi's television special.  I hope TCM considers airing more of Mitzi's specials and perhaps other shows of that nature as another way to provide filler between their movies.

Finally, I was happy to see Mitzi herself talking to Robert Osborne and I was glad to see that she looks good and is still busy and active.  It makes me happy to see stars from Classic Hollywood that are still active and healthy and can provide anecdotes about working in Hollywood during that time.  Hearing a star's stories about working with other actors and directors are always my favorite parts of their interview.

I loved the entire Mitzi marathon, but like you I especially enjoyed the television special and the traditional CBS announcement that "Here's Lucy and The New Dick Van Dyke Show will not be seen tonight..."  followed by the "CBS Special Presentation" music that used to precede all the Peanuts specials and Christmas/Easter specials when they all used to air on CBS in the seventies when I was growing up.  The "CBS Special Presentation" is no longer shown on CBS but of course the Peanuts specials air on ABC now anyway.

Here's Lucy and The New Dick Van Dyke Show were not the star's best shows, but I still thought it fitting that the special pre-empted two TV powerhouses, Lucille Ball and Dick Van Dyke.

I loved Mitzi singing "I'd Do Anything" with Ted Knight .  I thought Ted Knight could only play buffoons and voice Hanna-Barbera DC animation like Super Friends.  I was surprised to find out he was a pretty fair singer.  The same for Suzanne Pleshette who sang "Happiness" (harkening back to my earlier Peanuts reference).  It was especially appropriate to have Suzanne Pleshette in the special, since she was playing a housewife on The Bob Newhart Show at the time.  And having Ted Knight from the iconic Mary Tyler Moore Show as well.

And of course, the satire of the housewife doldrums at a time when the traditional housewife role was still being shown on many TV shows, especially sitcoms, in the seventies.

And it was good to see Jane Withers and Jerry Orbach as well.  And, of course, Mitzi's great singing and dancing.  The girl's got great gams!

They didn't show my favorite Mitzi film, There's No Business Like Show Business, but it has already been shown several times in the past year on TCM.  I first saw the film because of Ethel Merman but because of that film I became a fan of Donald O'Connor and Mitzi Gaynor.  Like you, it was the first film in which I saw Mitzi.  It was the first film in which I saw O'Connor as well.  (I was not and am not a fan of Marilyn Monroe, however.)  I agree it it is not great movie but I watch it every chance I get because it (along with Call Me Madam) are two of the only opportunities I have to see Merman sing many of the Irving Berlin songs she made famous on Broadway, since I was not alive when those musicals were originally performed on Broadway.  Her solo performance of "There's No Business Like Show Business" at the Hippodrome near the end is near flawless, including the moment when she turns and sees her long-lost son backstage, and she starts to rush to him but turns back and finishes, "Let's go on with the show."  I think her singing of that song is actually better in the movie than in the Annie Get Your Gun soundtrack.  I also loved Mitzi outfoxing the guy who doctored her drink, and O'Connor's dance sequence in the middle.

I also liked the Shirley Jones and Robert Wagner nights.  It's great to have the stars doing commentary!  I just wish some of these great nights would be given to Ben M. since I've started liking his hosting style better than Robert Osborne's.  Seems like Ben is getting almost every night of the week right now EXCEPT the plum assignments like the interviews with the stars I like (and of course, The Essentials).  I guess I should expect it since Robert Osborne is the star, but it would be nice if Ben would get some of my favorite lineups.  I'm not all that interested in what's on most of the other nights, like Anna Sten, so the fact that he's hosting those events doesn't help me.

Robbie

I just noticed that one of my favorite Mitzi Gaynor movies is scheduled for August 20, and I'm pretty sure it's a TCM premier. It's "For Love or Money" (1963), with Mitzi in a Doris Day-type role and Kirk Douglas as her co-star. Mitzi is one of three daughters of San Francisco socialite Thelma Ritter, who hires lawyer Kirk to match them up with her hand-picked suitors. The daughters are Mitzi, Leslie Parrish ("Daisy Mae") and Julie Newmar (!!!), which alone makes this a must-see. It's totally silly, but there's some fairly clever social commentary; Mitzi is a motivational researcher, Julie is a health fanatic and Leslie is a bohemian kook. A great role for Thelma too, totally glam and totally in charge. Her scenes with her right-hand man William Bendix are great, two pros in top form. If you go for the 60's "sex comedies", this is one of the better ones.

I got a kick out of watching the Mitzi TV special again..I used to watch them back then & loved her sunshine spirit (I had a somewhat dark childhood).

It's funny how in all these years the thing I always remember the most is when she had said in a skit something like "oh I just love legoomies aka legumes." It's like every time Ive seen or heard the word it triggered the memory of Mitzi! ???? But yes she sure has great legs & cute figure & stills looks amazing.

The 70s commercials were fun to see again, too..they were quieter and less annoying than today's commercials.

I concur with all that has been said about Mitzi Gaynor, her presence and the films shown the other night.  It had a nice variety with a couple of her oft-seen titles on TCM (THE JOKER IS WILD, LES GIRLS), and a couple of the vehicles lined up for her by 20th Century Fox when they were hoping that she would replace Betty Grable as Grable faded, and be their next blonde musical star (THE I DON'T CARE GIRL, GOLDEN GIRL...Ironically, Marilyn Monroe would shortly emerge as said Golden Girl).  Speaking of which, I viewed the SUTS schedule hoping that Gaynor's debut, in Grable's MY BLUE HEAVEN, would be aired, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Overall a great night was had by all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...