Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"It's very difficult to keep the line between the past and the present. You know what I mean? It's awfully difficult . . ."

HoldenIsHere

I thank you for the reminder also.

I had marked it in the schedule for recording. It is sad to say that I had forgotten it and would not have checked the schedule again for several days as we are have a situation with our DVRs and are spending inordinate amounts of time transferring and placing on DVD movies which are one the hard disks. Fourteen done and seventeen to do.

I forgot to mention that Little Edie was not alive when the musical GREY GARDENS ran off-Broadway (2006) and later Broadway (2006-2007).

In both productions, Christine Ebersole played Big Edie in Act One and Little Edie in Act Two (set 32 years after the first act). 

Here is some live footage from the second act opening:

She died in 2002 in Florida.

Yes, I looked it up later. I could've sworn Christine Ebersole said she was still alive when the musical was produced when she was on TCM several years ago. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. What a sad life.

Aargh and double aargh ! 

I've always wanted to see this, and I missed it. No, not because it was not aired in Canada - I believe it was aired in Canada, at least, it was on the Canadian schedule. 

No, I missed it because it was on at 2:30 in the morning - which is to say, the middle of the night. And although I had duly camped out on the couch, with TCM on station, I just fell asleep. Woke up in a fog and stumbled off to bed without any idea whether it had just begun or was over.

I do wish TCM would at least occasionally air rare movies like this at a normal hour. It's one of my few complaints about them. (And no, I didn't record it because currently I do not have the means to do so.)

Now, I have seen the fictionalized (sort of) version, based on the Maysles documentary, and starring none other than everybody's favourite, Drew Barrymore ! And she was good in it, at least I thought so. Still, it left me wanting to see the original. And lo, I missed my chance.All because I was weak, dammit. O, why must we fall asleep at such inopportune times !

By the way, a Canadian singer/songwriter by the name of Rufus Wainwright has written a song about it all, called, naturally, "Grey Gardens". I like it, but ol' Wufus will not be to everyone's taste. Too bad. Here's the song:

Funny thing is, when I first heard this haunting piece of music, I had no idea what "Grey Gardens" was referring to. I'd never heard of it or of the strange ladies who inhabited its world.

By the way, a Canadian singer/songwriter by the name of Rufus Wainwright has written a song about it all, called, naturally, "Grey Gardens".

I'm a fan of Rufus Wainwright too, misswonderly  

His song "Grey Gardens" was actually inspired by both GREY GARDENS and DEATH IN VENICE.

Note the calls to "Tadzio" throughout the song.

tadzio_color.jpeg

Yes, for ages I wondered who "Tadzio" was and what he had to do with it all. Although I've seen the film Death in Venice, I did not connect it to "Grey Gardens", the song or the movie, in any way. However, I've since read that Rufus Wainwright associated these two stories in his mind - something about aging, youth, and lost beauty. And decadence, whether a crumbling city or a ruined estate.

I'm sorry to say I've never read the Thomas Mann novel by the same name. Maybe one day when I'm old, sitting in a mysterious decaying garden...

Aargh and double aargh ! I missed it because it was on at 2:30 in the morning - which is to say, the middle of the night.

What do you have against recorders? I purchased a VCR as recently as 6 months ago on EBay for, like, 35 bucks - used but working flawlessly.

What do you have against recorders? I purchased a VCR as recently as 6 months ago on EBay for, like, 35 bucks - used but working flawlessly.

db baby, as I said in that post: "I do wish TCM would at least occasionally air rare movies like this at a normal hour. It's one of my few complaints about them. (And no, I didn't record it because currently I do not have the means to do so.)"  

Full disclosure here: Taking up space at various geographic points in my home are a number of recording devices, including an old VCR, a newer (ish) VCR combined with a DVD player, a DVD player, and something else along similar lines which I can't recollect at the moment. One of these things is currently sitting under my living room sofa, along with an ancient bass guitar ( !), another is somewhere in my basement, and a third is occupying a shelf in my spare room closet.  This is to say nothing of the assortment of "remotes" I've got, some of which I have no idea which recording /television device they're meant for. 

But none of them seem to work with my television in terms of recording off of a television broadcast. This was never a problem until a year or so ago, when my cable provider, good old Rogers, (no relation to "Mister" ), changed the signal from analogue to digital, and we had to switch too, or get nothing but TVO and CBC (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

At the time of this changeover, we found that we were no longer able to pick up the signal from the cable to record anything. And I've been too passive/lazy/intimidated by all the remotes and plugs and cords/ thick-headed/ to try and figure it out since. 

aargh.

But none of them seem to work with my television in terms of recording off of a television broadcast.

Mine either. I specifically bought VHS/DVD player/recorders, all sitting wasted and unused.

It's been this way for years. The crooks at FIOS ensured that I can't record so I will pay them more money on top of their overpriced cable for DVR, which of course I won't do.

Welcome to capitalism.

This was never a problem until a year or so ago, when my cable provider, good old Rogers, (no relation to "Mister" ), changed the signal from analogue to digital, and we had to switch too, or get nothing but TVO and CBC (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

At the time of this changeover, we found that we were no longer able to pick up the signal from the cable to record anything. And I've been too passive/lazy/intimidated by all the remotes and plugs and cords/ thick-headed/ to try and figure it out since. 

aargh.

Same here, different cable company, same game playing. Isn't it a shame we're at their mercy.......and our only choice is to do away with them altogether. Who is it here did away with her cable but a friend has it in his house? That's one way to almost give it back to the crooks, I guess.

I don't understand.

I have Rogers as well. I've always been able to record on a VCR or DVD recorder. Though many stations have been removed unless one receives them digitally, Rogers did provide me (at my request) with a free digital converter, and I can still record to the VCR or the DVD recorder.

In Rogers Q&A section as regards digital there is the question "Will I still be able to record to my VCR" and the answer is "Yes". I can attest to that answer being correct.

aargh.

I suspect your problem is that you are still trying to record directly from the raw coax feed. That worked fine before digital, but works not at all with digital.

Since all the channels went digital, you must have a digital cable box to tune them. On the back of the box, there should be several kinds of outputs, The ones that will work with your VCR are R/L audio outs, which will be red and white. There is also a yellow video output. You need to connect these to the inputs on the back of your VCR. Doubtless, such a cable trio came with all of your VCRs. If you can't find one, you can buy them for cheap at many stores. If there is a Canadian equivalent to Meijer's, they would have one, as would most hardware stores. To record with that setup, you will have to select "line input" on your VCR. Also, you will only be able to record what your cable box is tuned to, while it is on.

• 9 months later...

I'm really looking forward to watching Grey Gardens this Sunday. Always wanted to see it.

I assume everybody here knows about the dramatic/semi-fictionalized version of Grey Gardens made in 2009 and starring the much-dissed (on this site, anyway) Drew Barrymore, who in my opinion is pretty darn good in it.

I've seen that one, but have never had the chance to view the original.

And yes, it's strange timing and sad that Albert Maysles, the main director of the Grey Gardens doc, has just died.

but you see in dealing with me, the relatives didn't know that they were dealing with a staunch character and I tell you if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman...            S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what.

but you see in dealing with me, the relatives didn't know that they were dealing with a staunch character and I tell you if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman...            S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what.

Geez.........WHAT was THAT all about?

If it's something to do with the aforementioned movie, I didn't see it, so I'm a bit in the dark, IF that post by johnnykkr has anything to do with it!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Geez.........WHAT was THAT all about?

If it's something to do with the aforementioned movie, I didn't see it, so I'm a bit in the dark, IF that post by johnnykkr has anything to do with it!

Apparently you've never seen GREY GARDENS or watched the video clip that was posted here.

I think it was in the news today: I saw one of the directors of "Grey Gardens" has died

Addendum: just went and checked and yes Albert Maysles: the last surviving of the director brothers died on March 5th 2015.

yesterday I think.

In addition to the airing of GREY GARDENS scheduled for tomorrow morning (March 8) which misswonderly alluded to, TCM had already dedicated the evening of May 26 to Maysles's films, including GREY GARDENS, SALESMAN and GIMME SHELTER.

Interestingly, I see the evening of May 26 is now completely removed from TCM's online scehdule.

Currently only the daytime schedule is showing for that date.

Right, Holden, I was in error when I commented on the "coincidence" of TCM airing an Albert Maysles film so soon after his death.

Of course, I realize now that it's the other way around - TCM altered their Sunday morning programming to broadcast some Maysles docs because of the director's passing.

Right, Holden, I was in error when I commented on the "coincidence" of TCM airing an Albert Maysles film so soon after his death.

Of course, I realize now that it's the other way around - TCM altered their Sunday morning programming to broadcast some Maysles docs because of the director's passing.

No, misswonderly, the airing of GREY GARDENS tomorrow morning (March 8) was indeed a coincidence.

It was already on the schedule for that date in March months before Maysles's death.

See TCM's March promo below that includes the clip of Little Edie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQBz_Q_IEOA

The full evening of Maysles films was scheduled for May.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings