Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

new "Grace of Monaco" movie

mr6666

I haven't seen the film, so I cannot comment on that aspect; but I think my biggest problem with it is the casting of Nicole Kidman as Grace Kelly.  She's supposed to be playing Grace Kelly in her early 30s and I think Kidman is at least 15 years older and doesn't really resemble her.  A better choice may have been Charlize Theron. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am I wrong is assuming that this is the first film about Grace since the TV movie with Cheryl Ladd?  If so, this is sad.  She does have a place in movie history and a story that honestly told of her life in Hollywood and Monaco would make a good film (Yes, I know she was more "New York snow" than Ivory Snow and her marriage was no more a fairy tale than most others). 

Nicole Kidman's career seems to have continually skidded downward since her Oscar win; this sounds like it's not likely to reverse that which is too bad because she can be convincing with the right material.

Am I wrong is assuming that this is the first film about Grace since the TV movie with Cheryl Ladd?  If so, this is sad.  She does have a place in movie history and a story that honestly told of her life in Hollywood and Monaco would make a good film (Yes, I know she was more "New York snow" than Ivory Snow and her marriage was no more a fairy tale than most others). 

Nicole Kidman's career seems to have continually skidded downward since her Oscar win; this sounds like it's not likely to reverse that which is too bad because she can be convincing with the right material.

Are people aware there are two different versions of the film?  One for the USA and one the EU?    THe USA is a princess fairy tale while the one released for the EU has scenes that show how life with the royal family had ups and downs; e.g. some of his faimly was distance and not very welcoming etc.... 

While it Italy the poster shown in the initial post was everywhere. 

I question whether the under-30 crowd is very familar with Grace Kelly, even in Philly.

Well people under-30 are familar with the British Royals.   Since so many people appear to care about so called royality (I could care less),   I wouldn't assume they are not familar with Princess Grace  (even if they don't know that she was an actress or had never seen a Grace Kelly movie).

• 2 months later...

Mr6, any other thoughts on this?  I haven't seen it although I'll be interested eventually...

There are two different version.   My wife saw the Euro version when we were in Italy at the time of the film's release (she is Italian).   In Italy the film was well promoted.  e.g. Posters with Kidman all over the place.    Anyhow my wife enjoyed the film (of course the settings were great being mostly in southern France and all). 

The Euro version is darker.   e.g. it shows how the Prince's family didn't welcome her and was distance.

The American release remains focused on the fairytale.   

I would like to see the Euro version but then I have to see it with subtitles (assuming one would even be available).    So I guess I'll have to live with the fairytale.       

Whenever this makes it to cable, I'll watch and accept it with open eyes. However, I'd prefer to see January Jones or possibly Diane Kruger as Grace - based purely on eyes and facial structure in the case of Diane - and on overall appearance and style by January. I believe January Jones has the whole package.. enough to carry off a more than reasonable representation especially since no one can represent Grace's face exactly.

Other actresses I've seen recommended, their eyes were too droopy, faces too gaunt or too puffy in areas. January and Diane seem to be much closer to the mark on these features - mostly the eyes.

When I do watch this, I'll suspend disbelief and go with the flow - not being critical. I mean.. that's Hollywood. Right?

Whenever this makes it to cable, I'll watch and accept it with open eyes. However, I'd prefer to see January Jones or possibly Diane Kruger as Grace - based purely on eyes and facial structure in the case of Diane - and on overall appearance and style by January. I believe January Jones has the whole package.. enough to carry off a more than reasonable representation especially since no one can represent Grace's face exactly.

Other actresses I've seen recommended, their eyes were too droopy, faces too gaunt or too puffy in areas. January and Diane seem to be much closer to the mark on these features - mostly the eyes.

When I do watch this, I'll suspend disbelief and go with the flow - not being critical. I mean.. that's Hollywood. Right?

The problem with January Jones is that she can't act. 

The Euro version is darker.   e.g. it shows how the Prince's family didn't welcome her and was distance.

The American release remains focused on the fairytale.   

I would like to see the Euro version but then I have to see it with subtitles (assuming one would even be available).    So I guess I'll have to live with the fairytale.       

How clear it makes it that the rest of the first-world sees us as children.  Dangerous, uneducated children.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings