Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic posting 101

TopBilled

• 6 months later...

Tip #1

Write with passion and love. A film has to mean something and more specifically, it has to make a strong impression one way or the other. I never post about a film I have seen on TCM unless I have realized what it means to me. I can laud a film's merits or complain about the shortcomings, but it has to be done with feeling. I have never been afraid to post a controversial opinion, as long as it is something I am passionate about discussing.

Tip #2

Know your audience. I read 80% of the threads to see what people are saying, what they like and dislike, and also what they reveal about themselves as classic film fans. Then, I know how to proceed with my own theories-- how others will be receptive or not receptive. And sometimes I do not want them to be receptive in the beginning, if I have a point to make or a revolution to start. When you know your audience, you can more easily predict outcomes and influence people in a positive way.

Tip #3

Know the boards and its available features. A lot of people who post on the message boards do not fully understand how they work. You have to build relationships across threads and forums/sub-forums. But you also have to understand the natural and artificial ways information is organized and accessed on the boards.

Tip #4

Use creative writing and humor but do not go overboard. Part of what you should do in your posts is to entertain, as well as inform. A few avant garde threads and posts every now and then keeps things interesting. Never let them get tired of your posting-- you should be so eclectic that when they open your threads, anything can await them.

Tip #5

Related to number four-- exhibit good showmanship and a sense of theatricality. Your username is a character. Develop your character! I have made TopBilled a hero, a villain, a friend and an adversary. I have to play TopBilled in different types of scenes or else I get bored.

Tip #6

Know your own point of view. If you do, you will find it much easier to bring in facts that support your ideas. I cannot stress how important this is. Too many posters have no idea what they're trying to say, let alone how to say it.

Tip #7

Read old threads. Currently, there are over 700 pages of archived threads on the General Discussions board. It's our history, filled with good ideas and information you can build on. Too many posters get stuck on the first page or two. Venture back in time, bring it forward again.

Tip #8

Be innovative. One little trick I do is to cross-promote my ideas across threads (across forums too). If someone is reading a thread about film noir, and I post about film noir but also add the fact that I am preparing a delicious pasta by Lizabeth Scott, you can bet people will go to my recipes thread. I will have drawn visitors to the message boards for film noir over to my thread. This is one of many little tricks I do. Your mission is to develop your own tricks that work for you!

Tip #9

Find new ways to look at classic film. Several posters do a consistently excellent job of this. Remember that something like CASABLANCA has been around for years. The challenge is to come up with something new and unique to say about it that hasn't been said before. People will love you for it, they will appreciate your being able to help them enjoy their favorite classic film even more.

Tip #10

Always respect the TCM business model, even if you have issues with it. We're guests on TCM's website. We should add to the positive value of it. It's better if we do!

Tip #5

Related to number four-- exhibit good showmanship and a sense of theatricality. Your username is a character. Develop your character! I have made TopBilled a hero, a villain, a friend and an adversary. I have to play TopBilled in different types of scenes or else I get bored.

I THINK ADOLF HITLER AND JOSEPH MCCARTHY MADE THIS ONE OF THEIR GUIDING PRECEPTS AS WELL. THERE'S A CERTAIN PROCLAMATION OF EXTREME HUBRIS PLUS WILLFUL NARCISSISM AND DECEITFULNESS ON YOUR PART. AN UNTRUSTWORTHINESS OF TRUE POSTING PURPOSE MEANING WE ALL SHOULD TAKE WHATEVER YOU SAY WITH A LARGE GRAIN OF SALT.

• Like 1

I read a quote from Jerry Lewis not long ago. In his view, there is very little distinction between comedy and tragedy. I think that can be applied to message board posting. Every post can be looked at as a clever joke, and every joke can be looked at as presenting a serious sober truth. You have to be open to both interpretations when you read each single post on a message board, no matter who the author may be. And if you are the author, you can play both interpretations to your advantage. That is what makes you interesting and well-read and gives you a lot of thread views. But not a lot of people understand that dichotomy or how to use it.

This is sort of like getting tips on achieving sobriety from John Barrymore.

How can we have good posts back and forth on other threads when you have gone out of your way to take a cheap shot here? It means that you will come on to some of my best threads and not be able to communicate directly with me and the others I am posting with...why put yourself at such a disadvantage when it is a whole lot easier to refrain from such snarky posting and just live and let live and get along. Thumbs down.

I THINK ADOLF HITLER AND JOSEPH MCCARTHY MADE THIS ONE OF THEIR GUIDING PRECEPTS AS WELL. 

I think you are out of your league with the analogy you are trying to put across. Nobody on these message boards, to my knowledge, is a killer or a politician. Shame on you for trying to insinuate such nonsense.

I think you are out of your league with the analogy you are trying to put across. Nobody on these message boards, to my knowledge, is a killer or a politician. Shame on you for trying to insinuate such nonsense.

Well, TopB - Rover tends to go nuclear at the drop of a hat. Not long ago, a poster speculated how much worse the life of the title character in "Marty" would have been had he been gay, especially in that film's time and place. It should be noted that that OP NEVER speculated that the character actually was or was intended to be interpreted that way - merely a thoughtful point being made that lonely as Marty was, he was at least able to find happiness. Had he been gay this might have been highly unlikely or even impossible. That this was mere speculation did not matter to Rover - he went ballistic and even the speculation and "what if" of the OP's question was seen as highly offensive and as "**** on Marty" - as part of a darkening world where wrong is right, where same sex marriges were acceptable, etc etc. How interesting then, isn't it, that Rover cites two of the most intolerent voices from the past and their kind of hatred as something intolerable on the TCM board.

• Like 2

Well, TopB - Rover tends to go nuclear at the drop of a hat. Not long ago, a poster speculated how much worse the life of the title character in "Marty" would have been had he been gay, especially in that film's time and place. It should be noted that that OP NEVER speculated that the character actually was or was intended to be interpreted that way - merely a thoughtful point being made that lonely as Marty was, he was at least able to find happiness. Had he been gay this might have been highly unlikely or even impossible. That this was mere speculation did not matter to Rover - he went ballistic and even the speculation and "what if" of the OP's question was seen as highly offensive and as "**** on Marty" - as part of a darkening world where wrong is right, where same sex marriges were acceptable, etc etc. How interesting then, isn't it, that Rover cites two of the most intolerent voices from the past and their kind of hatred as something intolerable on the TCM board.

You're right, Vertigo. What I don't like is that people come on to threads they don't like, take cheap shots, then they try to act civil on other threads. That, to me, is quite dishonest. 

Also, note that I brought this thread to page one last night the same time I brought up the popular songs thread. This one already has two hundred more views. Why? Because people are going out of their way to turn it into a lot of negativity, and the negativity festers and gets everyone's attention more than a positive thread about music related to classic movies and stars. That shows in my opinion what people are here to do-- not post about movies but harass others and get their kicks being rude. It's kind of sickening when you think about it. That is how far down this message board has fallen.

Don't know if you are a killer or not but you are most certainly the epiphany of a politician in you playing different types of scenes/personalities in order to manipulate others. I'll leave that up to you do decide but the whole of TIP #5 relates that you are not being or do you want to be sincere or truthful but merely playing being at theatrical (hero, villain, friend, adversary) so you don't get "bored" as you put it. Childish/immature personalities get "bored" so easily don't they and cause so much intentional havoc for their own internal laughter and to pump up their hidden inadequacies. With me what you see is what you get as I am expressing truthfully my views and feelings. You TB just want to play an insidious puppeteer by pulling everyone's legs in different directions depending on your daily feelings of theatricality and boredom. You are hiding behind masks as you seek to cause commotion based on your tips especially the self-revealing TIP #5 where you dared pull your mask up for a moment and reveal the innate bullying deceitfulness of whatever you post.

Don't know if you are a killer or not but you are most certainly the epiphany of a politician in you playing different types of scenes/personalities in order to manipulate others. I'll leave that up to you do decide but the whole of TIP #5 relates that you are not being or do you want to be sincere or truthful but merely playing being at theatrical (hero, villain, friend, adversary) so you don't get "bored" as you put it. Childish/immature personalities get "bored" so easily don't they and cause so much intentional havoc for their own internal laughter and to pump up their hidden inadequacies. With me what you see is what you get as I am expressing truthfully my views and feelings. You TB just want to play an insidious puppeteer by pulling everyone's legs in different directions depending on your daily feelings of theatricality and boredom. You are hiding behind masks as you seek to cause commotion based on your tips especially the self-revealing TIP #5 where you dared pull your mask up for a moment and reveal the innate bullying deceitfulness of whatever you post.

I think you are stretching it considerably-- how can you realistically make the leap that someone who seems childish is a politician or a puppeteer. It seems like you are just trying to glob together a bunch of stereotypes (the ugliest ones you can conjure up in your mind) and hurl them at me, hoping one or two of them stick. 

I think you are stretching it considerably-- how can you realistically make the leap that someone who seems childish is a politician or a puppeteer. It seems like you are just trying to glob together a bunch of stereotypes (the ugliest ones you can conjure up in your mind) and hurl them at me, hoping one or two of them stick.

I can tell by your whining that I hit home. Try posting the real you and not the "puppeteer" of boredom and theatricality.

These "Ten Useful Tip" remind me of Ralph Dumain who wrote--
Given the unhappy self-consciousness that exists today, and a more abstract and mediated cultural environment in which the conscious manipulation of cultural signifiers becomes prevalent as well as possible, the ability to manipulate cultural codes is not in itself something particularly special, estimable, or progressive. As a means to a deeper truth, yes, but just for its own sake, no, it is quite tiresome as well as consistent with the ethos of late capitalism. And here is where I part company with contemporary cultural theorists, postmodernists and others infected with the disease or its various mutations. My first example is a recent article by the cultural historian George Lipsitz, who has done some very important historical work but lately has been suffering severely from the aforementioned disease. Lipsitz recognizes the cultural revolution that percolated through American culture in the 1940's, which he exemplifies in the works of Charlie Parker, Chester Himes, and Ralph Ellison — all of them black artists, not coincidentally, I'm sure. Lipsitz makes a big deal about how these artists consciously manipulated cultural codes and exhibited this self-consciousness in their work, and above all Lipsitz finds significant their subversion of the conventional distinction and ranking of "high" and "low" culture. But to view things in such a way is to look at cultural production from the outside in, from the exchange value and supposed status of cultural products, not from the standpoint of their intrinsic qualities. But I contend that only academic snobs care about such categories: whether to uphold elite culture or to go slumming, their point of departure is always external and precategorized as befits people obsessed with status. Ordinary people choose entertainment that is readily available or appeals to them; they don't choose it or like it because it belongs to a category known as "popular culture"; only intellectuals do that. And artists, whatever other battles they are fighting, if they are worth anything, they don't produce animated cartoons, write novels, compose music, or perform saxophone solos with the sole objective of subverting the trappings of high and low culture. That may be a by-product, but that is not how artists of any real substance, popular or otherwise, produce their work. If they must be conscious of these distinctions because of their social situation, dealing with them can only be a means to an end, for example, the unification of the diverse ingredients of experience or form to create something of intrinsic importance. As an end in itself, self-referential playing with codes is a meaningless, infantile indulgence. If we are to care, to respond, we need a motivation, and if codes and their manipulability themselves constitute the message, we must still be motivated in some way to care about this kind of message.

Hmmmm....well Frank, gotta say after readin' all that, that at FIRST it seems kind of a shame to me that "Ralphie Boy" here, as smart as he seems to be, apparently never leaned to start a new freakin' paragraph in his writings whenever there's a transition goin' on in his thoughts. 

And secondly, ya see that part of his commentary up there I took the liberty to place in bold lettering? Well, as I read THAT part of his treatise here, THAT'S when I knew the guy was a little off-the-mark, or dare I say "full-of-it"?!

'Cause EVERYBODY knows, from the Hoi polloi TO the Intelligentsia that Chuck Jones' "What's Opera, Doc?" IS great art of the highest order AND maybe the best cartoon short ever made!!! 

(...well, after maybe "Ali Babba Bunny" anyway, but why split hares..err..HAIRS here, eh?!) ;)

I can tell by your whining that I hit home. Try posting the real you and not the "puppeteer" of boredom and theatricality.

I am trying to help you present a better argument and maybe a nicer disposition. Now you are resorting to the tactic of trying to say I am whining to deflect the fact that your earlier statements in the thread were rather weak. Am I hitting home now? LOL 

Blessings!

Hmmmm....well Frank, gotta say after readin' all that, that at FIRST it seems kind of a shame to me that "Ralphie Boy" here, as smart as he seems to be, apparently never leaned to start a new freakin' paragraph in his writings whenever there's a transition goin' on in his thoughts. 

That's funny, Dargo. Paragraph formatting is a minor issue. I think Frank plagiarized that text and did not cite it (give the proper reference). I believe that would be a violation of TCM's message board policy.

That's funny, Dargo. Paragraph formatting is a minor issue. I think Frank plagiarized that text and did not cite it (give the proper reference). I believe that would be a violation of TCM's message board policy.

Actually the original poster did say "These "Ten Useful Tip" remind me of Ralph Dumain who wrote"....

So he DID cite the original author, he just didn't say in what publication Ralph Dumain wrote this. I think that the standards for plagiarism in a TCM post are lower than a college term paper, don't you?   If you are THAT curious the quote is from "Cultural Sophistication and Self-Reference on American Television:Seeds of Hope?" written in 1993. Plug any phrase in the quote into google and you can quickly find it yourself.

• Like 2

if you are the author, you can play both interpretations to your advantage. That is what makes you interesting and well-read and gives you a lot of thread views. But not a lot of people understand that dichotomy or how to use it.

How can we have good posts back and forth on other threads when you have gone out of your way to take a cheap shot here? It means that you will come on to some of my best threads and not be able to communicate directly with me and the others I am posting with...why put yourself at such a disadvantage when it is a whole lot easier to refrain from such snarky posting and just live and let live and get along. Thumbs down.

What I don't like is that people come on to threads they don't like, take cheap shots, then they try to act civil on other threads. That, to me, is quite dishonest. 

Also, note that I brought this thread to page one last night the same time I brought up the popular songs thread. This one already has two hundred more views. Why? Because people are going out of their way to turn it into a lot of negativity, and the negativity festers and gets everyone's attention more than a positive thread about music related to classic movies and stars. That shows in my opinion what people are here to do-- not post about movies but harass others and get their kicks being rude. It's kind of sickening when you think about it. That is how far down this message board has fallen.

I am trying to help you present a better argument and maybe a nicer disposition. Now you are resorting to the tactic of trying to say I am whining to deflect the fact that your earlier statements in the thread were rather weak. Am I hitting home now? LOL 

Blessings!

He is one of the most intolerant posters on the boards, sad to say.

I think Frank plagiarized that text and did not cite it (give the proper reference). I believe that would be a violation of TCM's message board policy.

Negativity. Trolling. Condescension. Braggadocio. Just plain trouble-making.

You love it, dont'cha.

• Like 4

That is right, unfortunately. He is one of the most intolerant posters on the boards, sad to say.

My intolerance of certain increasingly glorified immoral lifestyles is a truthful statement of my beliefs. I don't beat around the bush or try and be theatrical because I am "bored". What you see and hear is what you get and one can bank on my expressed beliefs and views as being my personal truths that I am not afraid to express. I am not playing "TOP BILLED" scenes out of boredom or trying to pull any theatrical pretense for jollies and vanity and shallow showmanship and tricked-out deception. Maybe you simply don't know any other way to live other than shadowy snickering manipulation behind your mask of conceit.

Actually the original poster did say "These "Ten Useful Tip" remind me of Ralph Dumain who wrote"....

So he DID cite the original author, he just didn't say in what publication Ralph Dumain wrote this. I think that the standards for plagiarism in a TCM post are lower than a college term paper, don't you?   If you are THAT curious the quote is from "Cultural Sophistication and Self-Reference on American Television:Seeds of Hope?" written in 1993. Plug any phrase in the quote into google and you can quickly find it yourself.

calvin,

You're starting to come off unfriendly in recent posts. Are you not feeling well?

Or maybe I should rewrite that and capitalize certain words like you did for effect:

You're starting to come off UNFRIENDLY in recent posts. Are you NOT feeling well? :)