Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't believe I missed this Academy Awards question on Jeopardy!

jakeem

The Final Jeopardy! answer for the next-to-last day of the Battle of the Decades tournament was:

1 of the 2 movies in the last 30 years, one a drama & one a comedy, to win Oscars for Best Actor & Best Actress. 

I choked under pressure and didn't get it. Neither did Brad Rutter, the all-time Jeopardy! money winner with $3 million plus, nor Ken Jennings, who holds the record for most consecutive games won (74). They also were the guys who nobly competed at Jeopardy! with Watson the IBM computer -- and lost.

The Silence of the Lambs (Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster) and As Good As It Gets (Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt)

I remembered the first but didn't think of the second lol

But I still woulda won $3M and all you losers wouldna got squat -- that's the way I prefer to look at it

i got them both today.

i was surpised i knew the comedy but i think it was the nicholson connection. wasnt it "cuckoos nest" that was the first film to sweep the majors since "it happend one night?" then "lambs" was the 3rd.

i got them both today.

i was surpised i knew the comedy but i think it was the nicholson connection. wasnt it "cuckoos nest" that was the first film to sweep the majors since "it happend one night?" then "lambs" was the 3rd.

Yep, my first thought was "Cuckoo's Nest", but then I remembered the question/answer said "within the last 30 years", and so I then remembered "Silence of the Lambs".

(...however, as good as I am, I couldn't come up with "As Good As It Gets")

Yep, my first thought was "Cuckoo's Nest", but then I remembered the question/answer said "within the last 30 years", and so I then remembered "Silence of the Lambs".

(...however, as good as I am, I couldn't come up with "As Good As It Gets")

i think i knew jack won for that, and that sparked a memory of helen hunt giving her speech. or maybe it was just dumb luck. that happens to me a lot. especially watching jeopardy.

I presume you would have gotten all five of the clues in the Documentaries category in the Jeopardy! round too, right? And how many of the clues in the other 11 categories would you have known? ;)

To see the responses hover over the dollar amounts.

I presume you would have gotten all five of the clues in the Documentaries category in the Jeopardy! round too, right? And how many of the clues in the other 11 categories would you have known? ;)

Actually, I got only the first two in the Documentaries category. The film "20 Feet from Stardom" won an Oscar a couple of months ago and veteran backup singers -- including the fabulous Darlene Love -- went onstage with the winning filmmakers. I watch Bill Maher's HBO show every week, so the second one was easy. But I didn't catch the S-T-A-G-G spelling clue, I couldn't remember Errol Morris' name under pressure (although I'm very familiar with his work), and I guessed West Virginia instead of Kentucky for "Harlan County, U.S.A."

I did OK for most of the other categories, but there was no excuse for my missing the Academy Awards question. I almost always know the correct response in that category, unless the clue is vague or strangely worded. In this case, I kept thinking about Oscar wins before 1984: Jon Voight and Jane Fonda for "Coming Home" (1978) and Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn for "On Golden Pond" (1981). I suppose I should learn to add and subtract.

The Battle of the Decades tournament has been tough! Just ask the third Jeopardy! finalist -- Roger Craig, the holder of the game show's record for most money earned in one contest ($77,000). He lost more than $10,000 on a Daily Double wager in the Medical Terms category, and never recovered!

Shocking what a "mercenary" group we have here, eh Fedya?! ;)

LOL

I got Silence of the Lambs right away, as I remember it being a big deal that a "horror" film swept the major categories.  As Good As It Gets took me a little longer, but then I remembered my annoyance when that piece of crap movie - and the horribly one-note Helen Hunt - did the same thing.

I knew all the documentaries, too.

I got Silence of the Lambs right away, as I remember it being a big deal that a "horror" film swept the major categories.  As Good As It Gets took me a little longer, but then I remembered my annoyance when that piece of crap movie - and the horribly one-note Helen Hunt - did the same thing.

I knew all the documentaries, too.

The others, I guess, are IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT and ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST.

I think it says more about aging, and long-term memory vs. the short-term kind.

Yep! It seems like just yesterday when I could rattle off almost all of the answer/questions before Alex finished up reading them aloud.

And now, I very often find myself snapping my fingers in frustration and saying, "Wait, I KNOW this!" as the timer buzzer sounds and/or saying, "Yeah, THAT'S it!", as one of the contestants responds with the correct reply.

(...and so go the wages of aging, I suppose)

Yep! It seems like just yesterday when I could rattle off almost all of the answer/questions before Alex finished up reading them aloud.

And now, I very often find myself snapping my fingers in frustration and saying, "Wait, I KNOW this!" as the timer buzzer sounds and/or saying, "Yeah, THAT'S it!", as one of the contestants responds with the correct reply.

(...and so go the wages of aging, I suppose)

I recall seeing a Seniors tornament on "Jeopardy". I believe that their buzzer reaction time was a bit slower than you usually see.

Speaking of Jeopardy, memory, and classic films, my dad (who taught me to love classic movies) was on the show a few years back. He got the daily double in a category we all knew: movie songs. The question was: "1944: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Yes, I know, we all know that one. But he totally blanked. He said his thought process was something like, "I know this! Vincent Minnelli, Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien, MGM...We watch it all the time! I played Grandpa in it in High School! WHAT IS IT CALLED?!?!?" Everything came to his mind but the title. The time ran out and he said, "My kids are gonna kill me!" So apparently "knowing" ISN'T half the battle, eh?

Six of the seven films that won both the Best Actor and Best Actress awards have been mentioned.  The seventh was Network: Peter Finch and Faye Dunaway.

There have been 27 films that had both lead actor and lead actress nominations where one of the two won Oscars.  From a merely speculative point of view, here are ten of these that I believe came closest to winning both awards (though not necessarily that they should have won):

1. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: Elizabeth Taylor won, Richard Burton lost to Paul Scofield in A Man for All Seasons 

2. The Philadelphia Story: James Stewart won, Katharine Hepburn lost to Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle

3. The Lion in Winter: Katharine Hepburn won, Peter O'Toole lost to Cliff Robertson in Charly.

4. A Streetcar Named Desire: Vivien Leigh won, Marlon Brando lost to Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen.

5. American Beauty: Kevin Spacey won, Annette Bening lost to Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry

6. Hud: Patricia Neal won, Paul Newman lost to Sidney Poitier in Lilies of the Field

7. Dead Man Walking: Susan Sarandon won, Sean Penn lost to Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas

8. The King and I: Yul Brynner won, Deborah Kerr lost to Ingrid Bergman in Anastasia

9. Gone with the Wind: Vivien Leigh won, Clark Gable lost to Robert Donat in Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

10. Gaslight: Ingrid Bergman won, Charles Boyer lost to Bing Crosby in Going My Way.

Move over, Friend, I missed it too.  The ones that came to mind for me were all before 1984 and I knew could not be right.  I also knew I'd feel like kicking my own behind when I heard the answer and I did.    

The whole tournament was tough and enjoyable.  I couldn't believe Roger Craig found himself in the same position last night, bet it all again and lost it all a second time.  I wonder how the game would have gone with Coby Burnett in it instead of him.  

I figured Brad would make Hollywood proud and take it all.  He's impossible not to like as he's such an upbeat person who doesn't seem to take himself seriously but prepares well and respects his rivals.  I do like those games Ken has in Parade on Sunday mornings.  I'm sure he'll make out okay.    

Oh, and what's a four-letter word for your behind that got censored when I first posted this?  When I use it as a conjunction I'd better make certain that I don't accidentally hit the final letter twice. LOL!   

Move over, Friend, I missed it too.  The ones that came to mind for me were all before 1984 and I knew could not be right.  I also knew I'd feel like kicking my own behind when I heard the answer and I did.    

The whole tournament was tough and enjoyable.  I couldn't believe Roger Craig found himself in the same position last night, bet it all again and lost it all a second time.  I wonder how the game would have gone with Coby Burnett in it instead of him.  

I figured Brad would make Hollywood proud and take it all.  He's impossible not to like as he's such an upbeat person who doesn't seem to take himself seriously but prepares well and respects his rivals.  I do like those games Ken has in Parade on Sunday mornings.  I'm sure he'll make out okay.    

Oh, and what's a four-letter word for your behind that got censored when I first posted this?  When I use it as a conjunction I'd better make certain that I don't accidentally hit the final letter twice. LOL!   

They really did have the best of the best Jeopardy! players for the Battle of the Decades tournament. The only person I missed was Frank Spangenberg, the onetime New York transit cop who was a virtual moneymaking machine in the early 1990s.

They really did have the best of the best Jeopardy! players for the Battle of the Decades tournament. The only person I missed was Frank Spangenberg, the onetime New York transit cop who was a virtual moneymaking machine in the early 1990s.

Many cops who happen to be on the take are also "moneymaking machines".

• 3 weeks later...