Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gorgeous AND Funny

In Hollywood it's enough to be EITHER gorgeous or funny, which is probably what makes people like this so special:

CAROLE LOMBARD

"Well if other people can have five children, so can other people!" --My Man Godfrey

tumblr_me0ipqPMb81r1xgcfo1_500.jpg

MARILYN MONROE

"Mr Oxley has been complaining about my punctuation, so I'm careful to get here before nine." --Monkey Business

2166_marilyn_monroe_photo_3.jpg

WILLIAM POWELL

"That appendix of yours certainly gets around, Reber. Now it's on the wrong side."  --Mister Roberts

Powell14_thumb%5B7%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

Not sure I would call William Powell gorgeous, but anyway...

Paula Prentiss

tvyyFJC.jpg

She was the one good thing in Man's Favorite Sport, and was hilarious as the existentialist stripper constantly attempting suicide in What's New Pussycat, more than holding her own with Peter Sellers and Woody Allen.

I would add:

Merle Oberon. One of her sassiest roles is: The Divorce of Lady X (1938).

Laurence Olivier: Because of my profession I happen to be able to know what lies behind those dear deceiving lips.
Merle Oberon: Oh - you're a dentist? 

Jean Arthur. I believe that most do not find her beautiful but I find she was outstanding in proper lighting.

Audrey Hepburn. How to Steal a Million (1966) is one of my favorite movies of all time! She is pert and witty and she delivers lines in a way few others could:
"You don't think I'd steal something that didn't belong to me, do you?"

Peter O'Toole: Who's that?
Audrey Hepburn: Papa's cousin from South America.
Peter O'Toole: You know, for someone who started lying only recently, you're showing a real flair!
Audrey Hepburn: Oh thank you!

She demonstrates her charming low-key humor also in: Love in the Afternoon (1957). 

There were actors AND actresses that might have been considered "gorgeous" and seen largely in dramas, but could occaisionally hold their own in comedies , too.

Myrna Loy

Cary Grant

Gary Cooper

Clark Gable

Joan Crawford

Glenn Ford

Lauren Bacall

Gregory Peck

Dick Powell

Ward Bond

William Warren

Claudette Colbert

My mind is going blank on this now, but I'm sure some of you can augment this list.

Sepiatone

I know we generaly talk only about movies, but someone who would definitely fit into this category of gorgeous and funny would be Sofia Vergara.  She could easily be the most beautiful woman on TV today, and she also is extremely funny.

Yeah, Terrence.  I've seen Sofia on a few talk shows.  She IS gorgeous.  And smarter than most would think.  Plus, yes---she handles comedy extremely skillful.

In fact, the whole cast of "Modern Family" does an exceptional job.  And I like how well and often those in the cast pull off that technique of "breaching the fourth wall" ( I think that's what it's called).  Gives the show that extra punch.

Sepiatone

Not sure I would call William Powell gorgeous, but anyway...

Paula Prentiss

tvyyFJC.jpg

She was the one good thing in Man's Favorite Sport, and was hilarious as the existentialist stripper constantly attempting suicide in What's New Pussycat, more than holding her own with Peter Sellers and Woody Allen.

OH, yeah! Paula...good choice here, RK. And let us not forget that very sexy voice of hers, also.

As a teen, I couldn't keep my eyes off her while watching that sadly short-lived sitcom "He & She" that she did with her husband Richard Benjamin.

(...yet ANOTHER very lucky guy!)

There were actors AND actresses that might have been considered "gorgeous" and seen largely in dramas, but could occaisionally hold their own in comedies , too.

Myrna Loy

Cary Grant

Gary Cooper

Clark Gable

Joan Crawford

Glenn Ford

Lauren Bacall

Gregory Peck

Dick Powell

Ward Bond

William Warren

Claudette Colbert

My mind is going blank on this now, but I'm sure some of you can augment this list.

Sepiatone

It's "Warren William" and I wasn't aware that Ward Bond was either gorgeous OR funny. In fact, Bond has barely gotten over my radarat all.

Although critics and audiences at the time certainly didn't agree, I find the beautiful Katharine Hepburn absolutely hilarious in Bringing Up Baby - as Susan and as "Swingin' Door Susie."

Myrna Loy was frequently as funny as she was beautiful.  Same with Cary Grant.

• Like 1

My immediate response to the topic title was CAROLE LOMBARD.  After that, many of the previously mentioned names come to my mind (Paula Prentiss, gorgeous, funny, and TALL too).  How about Missy Stanwyck (I like her best in her comedies), a gal named Lucy,  Olivia de Havilland and Rita Hayworth (The Strawberry Blonde), Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds.  I can't comment on the guys part, but I can not equate Glenn Ford and funny at all. 

My immediate response to the topic title was CAROLE LOMBARD.  After that, many of the previously mentioned names come to my mind (Paula Prentiss, gorgeous, funny, and TALL too).  How about Missy Stanwyck (I like her best in her comedies), a gal named Lucy,  Olivia de Havilland and Rita Hayworth (The Strawberry Blonde), Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds.  I can't comment on the guys part, but I can not equate Glenn Ford and funny at all. 

Ford was actually better in comedies thann in dramas. I really liked him in THE GAZEBO

Although critics and audiences at the time certainly didn't agree, I find the beautiful Katharine Hepburn absolutely hilarious in Bringing Up Baby - as Susan and as "Swingin' Door Susie."

Absolutely.  Drop dead gorgeous at her peak, and to my mind a much better comedienne than dramatic actress.

And also much better with Grant than with Tracy, since while Grant could match wits with her on equal terms, all Tracy mostly did in their movies was to growl and grumble and act like a pigheaded fool.  Too much message and too little comedy.

katharine_hepburn_gallery_6.jpg

Absolutely.  Drop dead gorgeous at her peak, and to my mind a much better comedienne than dramatic actress.

And also much better with Grant than with Tracy, since while Grant could match wits with her on equal terms, all Tracy mostly did in their movies was to growl and grumble and act like a pigheaded fool.  Too much message and too little comedy.

Interesting, Andy, I completely disagree. I find her a total zero with Grant.

Now Lombard, that was gorgeous and funny. True with Grant and Loy as well, although Grant was more gorgeous than Loy.

Ford was actually better in comedies thann in dramas. I really liked him in THE GAZEBO

I wouldn't go that far, but in middle age he developed a quite adept comic touch, in Teahouse Of The August Moon keeping pace with Brando and even experienced light comedians like Paul Ford and Eddie Albert.

I agree about Hepburn and Grant--he is her best foil, though maybe not vice versa (I like him best with Irene Dunne). The entire Hepburn/Tracy series of films was, I think, based on their amazing chemistry in Woman of the Year. They rarely ever captured that "magic" again--I think Adam's Rib cpmes the closest, though more a portrait of an established couple rather than the newly wed couple--it's more cozy than sexy. And of course WOTY devolves --in my mind anyway--into another "Let's humiliate Kate movie" (though her character was rather a b*tch).

Hepburn matured into a pretty good dramatic actress--have you ever seen Long Day's Journey into Night? She pretty terrific in that.

I love where all this is going. There are lots of great examples on here and I pretty much agree with them all. So much to react to:

• TEAHOUSE truly is a hilarious movie, gotta say, and I was surprised to see how funny Glenn Ford could be
  • I think Myrna Loy is a perfect example as truly a brilliant comedienne. So is Cary Grant.
  • Cary Grant and Myrna Loy work superbly together, just as Loy & Powell were a great "gorgeous & funny" team, too
  • IMHO Katharine Hepburn works great with both Grant and Tracy but in different ways
  • I love BRINGING UP BABY but I can see why someone might think it falls apart. To me it's funny throughout, but it's not exactly a "tight screenplay"
  • I'm glad to see Ward Bond on a "gorgeous and funny" list because I really love that man--one of my favorite character actors of all time. Never heard him called gorgeous but that just makes me happy somehow.

Another one who is so funny we forget she's beautiful is Judy Holliday. And she could sing, too. What a talent.

As a healthy, normal, American female I gotta add a picture of the previously mentioned gorgeous and funny Cary Grant

PBDCAGR-EC022.jpg

And Gregory Peck who was such a great "dramatic actor" that people often forgot how good he was at the comedies:

MV5BMjE0NDgwNzUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTEy

And for the men, these three ladies were all very funny in HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE and are all magazine cover gorgeous:

How-to-Marry-a-Millionaire.jpg

I agree about Hepburn and Grant--he is her best foil, though maybe not vice versa (I like him best with Irene Dunne). The entire Hepburn/Tracy series of films was, I think, based on their amazing chemistry in Woman of the Year. They rarely ever captured that "magic" again--I think Adam's Rib cpmes the closest, though more a portrait of an established couple rather than the newly wed couple--it's more cozy than sexy. And of course WOTY devolves --in my mind anyway--into another "Let's humiliate Kate movie" (though her character was rather a b*tch).

I liked WOTY a lot better the first time than on subsequent viewings, same with their other "comedies", if that's what you can call Adam's Rib and Pat and Mike.  There's something about the whole Tracy/Hepburn chemistry that just grates on me after a while, probably just because I've never cared for Tracy's screen character, whereas Grant gives Hepburn room to breathe.*  Tracy's characters are always walking around with a giant chip on their shoulder, and for all his alleged great acting (can't argue with a thousand critics) his screen roles all seem to run together, and not in a very entertaining way.

Hepburn matured into a pretty good dramatic actress--have you ever seen Long Day's Journey into Night? She's pretty terrific in that.

I haven't, but I will the next time it comes around. I was so turned off by her pre-Stage Door films, and so much love her comedies with Grant, that it's probably going to take me awhile to give her a fresh look as a dramatic actress.  I do like her in Undercurrent with Robert Taylor and Robert Mitchum, so at least that's a start.  Aside from those Grant comedies, where I really appreciate her the most is in those two Cavett interviews from the early 70's.  My late Aunt in the Village knew her briefly when she was in New York on the stage, and never had a bad word to say about her. As a person she seems absolutely fascinating.

*I get the feeling that if Tracy had been given Grant's role in Bringing Up Baby, Hepburn would've wound up in a hospital.

Some others.to consider:

Loretta Young

Ann Sheridan

Linda.Darnell

Eleanor Parker

Gene Tierney

Kay Kendall

And not sure they're gorgeous , but close enough:

Ann Southern

Joan Blondell

Judy Holliday

Barbara Lawrence

Celeste Holmes

I may repeat some people's earlier choices, but here goes:

-Lucille Ball

-Judy Garland, she was really pretty before her vices and personal life started taking a toll on her appearance

-Myrna Loy

-Errol Flynn, a vastly underrated comedic talent

-Rosalind Russell, I always thought she was really pretty when she was younger

-Desi Arnaz, very underrated as a talent

-Cary Grant

-Claudette Colbert

-Katharine Hepburn

-Audrey Hepburn

-William Holden

-Rock Hudson

-Doris Day

You find Loretta Young, Linda.Darnell, Eleanor Parker and Gene Tierney funny?

Have you ever seen Loretta Young in say, SECOND HONEYMOON, WIFE HUSBAND AND FRIEND,.or BEDTIME STORY? Linda Darnell in A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, EVERYBODY DOES IT, or THE LADY PAYS OFF? Eleanor Parker in A MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY? Gene Tierney in HEAVEN CAN WAIT, THAT WONDERFUL URGE or THE MATING SEASON.

Yes I find them funny, and most definitely gorgeous.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings