Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LonesomePolecat

Gorgeous AND Funny

Hepburn matured into a pretty good dramatic actress--have you ever seen Long Day's Journey into Night? She pretty terrific in that.

If I remember.correctly,.LDJIN had been planned to star Hepburn AND Tracy, but he was too sick to do this movie.

Have you ever seen Loretta Young in say, SECOND HONEYMOON, WIFE HUSBAND AND FRIEND,.or BEDTIME STORY? Linda Darnell in A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, EVERYBODY DOES IT, or THE LADY PAYS OFF? Eleanor Parker in A MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY? Gene Tierney in HEAVEN CAN WAIT, THAT WONDERFUL URGE or THE MATING SEASON.

Yes I find them funny, and most definitely gorgeous.

Don't forget Eleanor Parker's very funny performance in a favorite of mine SCARAMOUCHE

Don't forget Eleanor Parker's very funny performance in a favorite of mine SCARAMOUCHE

SCARAMOUCHE.is on as we speak, er, type.

Yes  watching now, although I've seen the film dozens of times and have a tape of the film. Eleanor was not only funny and touching in the film, but so incredibly beautiful in this one.

I agree about Hepburn and Grant--he is her best foil, though maybe not vice versa (I like him best with Irene Dunne). The entire Hepburn/Tracy series of films was, I think, based on their amazing chemistry in Woman of the Year. They rarely ever captured that "magic" again--I think Adam's Rib cpmes the closest, though more a portrait of an established couple rather than the newly wed couple--it's more cozy than sexy. And of course WOTY devolves --in my mind anyway--into another "Let's humiliate Kate movie" (though her character was rather a b*tch).

I liked WOTY a lot better the first time than on subsequent viewings, same with their other "comedies", if that's what you can call Adam's Rib and Pat and Mike.  There's something about the whole Tracy/Hepburn chemistry that just grates on me after a while, probably just because I've never cared for Tracy's screen character, whereas Grant gives Hepburn room to breathe.*  Tracy's characters are always walking around with a giant chip on their shoulder, and for all his alleged great acting (can't argue with a thousand critics) his screen roles all seem to run together, and not in a very entertaining way.

Hepburn matured into a pretty good dramatic actress--have you ever seen Long Day's Journey into Night? She's pretty terrific in that.

I haven't, but I will the next time it comes around. I was so turned off by her pre-Stage Door films, and so much love her comedies with Grant, that it's probably going to take me awhile to give her a fresh look as a dramatic actress.  I do like her in Undercurrent with Robert Taylor and Robert Mitchum, so at least that's a start.  Aside from those Grant comedies, where I really appreciate her the most is in those two Cavett interviews from the early 70's.  My late Aunt in the Village knew her briefly when she was in New York on the stage, and never had a bad word to say about her. As a person she seems absolutely fascinating.

*I get the feeling that if Tracy had been given Grant's role in Bringing Up Baby, Hepburn would've wound up in a hospital.

Do watch the movie! She's very good--almost to the point that it's painful, watching her character totally disntegrate from her drug abuse. The other performances are excellent as well. She's also very good in Summertime, which while a romance, gives her a lot of opportunity for emotion and drama. (with the added bonus of havingbeen filmed in Venice, which is lovely)

I don't believe that Natalie Wood was mentioned yet.   Anne Bancroft was very gorgeous and funny in her part in hubby Mel Brooks' SILENT MOVIE.

Anne Bancroft would have to have a terrific sense of humor to get married/stay married to Mel Brooks

As a healthy, normal, American female I gotta add a picture of the previously mentioned gorgeous and funny Cary Grant

PBDCAGR-EC022.jpg

No actor more gorgeous, now or then, none more talented at drama and comedy.

NONE. No contest.

Don't care if it was a persona he adopted, he is probably the best all around actor in the history of movies. Yeah, that's right. Cagney was close, but Grant wins first prize.

• Like 1

No actor more gorgeous, now or then, none more talented at drama and comedy.

NONE. No contest.

Don't care if it was a persona he adopted, he is probably the best all around actor in the history of movies. Yeah, that's right. Cagney was close, but Grant wins first prize.

Better watch it, lady! Keep talkin' like that about Cary, and when you finally meet your boy Warren William in The Hereafter, he MAY just SHUN you!!! LOL

;)

I'm a bit surprised that a certain poster here hasn't mentioned Margaret Dumont. :)

Anyone mention this high I.Q. tomada?

Is it just me or do Judy Holiday and Dorothy Comingore sound like they both have the same voice?  :lol:

post-41875-0-30078600-1400544290_thumb.jpg

post-41875-0-30078600-1400544290_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit surprised that a certain poster here hasn't mentioned Margaret Dumont. :)

Well, IF you're referrin' to ME here, Mr.R, I guess my excuse would be that I didn't feel like "fighting for that lady's honor" in this thread!!! ;)

(...and which of course word always was that SHE probably never did HERSELF, and so why SHOULD I???!!!)

• Like 1

Julie Newmar.

As someone who's met and interviewed Julie, I would agree with you; unfortunately, during her heyday as an actress, she rarely got a chance to show off her comedic skills, particularly in movies. (TV was somewhat similar, aside from her turn as Catwoman on "Batman" and on the gimmicky sitcom "My Living Doll.") I sense producers were too in awe of Julie's phenomenal physical attributes -- her height, her curves, her legs -- to realize she was a talented, funny woman. I doubt that would have been the case had she been born some 20 years earlier; studios in the '30s would have known how to properly use her.

I'll add two more recent candidates for the "gorgeous and funny" group: Goldie Hawn and Anna Faris, though both may be classified more as "cute" than gorgeous. But both are squarely in the Lombard tradition of combining humor with sex appeal. (BTW, check out Faris' sitcom, "Mom," which has been renewed for a second season. It's quietly terrific.)

As someone who's met and interviewed Julie, I would agree with you; unfortunately, during her heyday as an actress, she rarely got a chance to show off her comedic skills, particularly in movies. (TV was somewhat similar, aside from her turn as Catwoman on "Batman" and on the gimmicky sitcom "My Living Doll.") I sense producers were too in awe of Julie's phenomenal physical attributes -- her height, her curves, her legs -- to realize she was a talented, funny woman. I doubt that would have been the case had she been born some 20 years earlier; studios in the '30s would have known how to properly use her.)

Julie Newmar was quite funny (the gorgeous goes without saying) in the 1960 comedy, THE MARRIAGE GO ROUND, where she reprises her stage role as a free spirited Swedish sex bomb trying to have James Mason father her child, to the chagrin of wife Susan Hayward.

I agree that during the heyday of the studio system a player like Newmar would have been steered into the types of roles in which she showed promise or aptitude. By the 60s,, this was no longer a viable career path.

My top 6:

1. Carole Lombard (hands down)

2. Debbie Reynolds

3. Jean Arthur

4. Ginger Rogers (as a blonde, in my opinion)

5. Dorothy Lee (I think her Wheeler and Woolsey roles would qualify her as a comedienne)

6. Betty Hutton (I think she was very attractive in the 1940's)

When I see Betty Hutton in the 40's, I think of Kathy Griffin on Seinfeld in the 90's.  Out of control but okay in small doses.

My top 6:

2. Debbie Reynolds

3. Jean Arthur

4. Ginger Rogers (as a blonde, in my opinion)

5. Dorothy Lee (I think her Wheeler and Woolsey roles would qualify her as a comedienne)

Definitely. No contest.

Irene Dunne was on a par with Jean Arthur, imo. As was Myrna Loy.

I am sort of surprised that TCM Nation did not mention the gorgeous, funny and highly underrated Thelma Todd.  Her career was short but she kept your attention, her body of work was funny and she should be included more often in this conversation.