Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The one where two actresses own the picture

TopBilled

I watched THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS yesterday, and it has inspired this thread.  While Barbara Stanwyck plays the title character and is top billed, this is a Hal Wallis production and he is showcasing his new discovery Lizabeth Scott.  When I went to IMDB last night to read user reviews, I found a lot of people (fans of both actresses) evenly split as to whether this was actually a Stanwyck picture or a Lizabeth Scott picture.  

Several of Bette Davis' films are this way, too.  Her two films with Miriam Hopkins, her John Huston film with Olivia de Havilland and of course, her picture with Crawford-- none of those are strictly Bette Davis pictures.

And speaking of Crawford there is THE WOMEN, where Norma Shearer definitely has more screen time but Crawford crosses the finish line dead even with her.

I watched THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS yesterday, and it is inspiring this thread.  While Barbara Stanwyck plays the title character and is top billed, this is a Hal Wallis production and he is showcasing his new discovery Lizabeth Scott.  When I went to IMDB last night to read user reviews, I found a lot of people (fans of both actresses) saying they were pretty evenly split as to whether this was actually a Stanwyck picture or a Lizabeth Scott picture.  

Several of Bette Davis' films are this way, too, even when she is still getting top billing.  Her two films with Miriam Hopkins, her John Huston film with Olivia de Havilland and of course, her picture with Crawford-- none of those are strictly Bette Davis pictures.

And speaking of Crawford there is THE WOMEN, where Norma Shearer definitely has more screen time but Crawford crosses the finish line dead even with her.

THE CHILDREN'S HOUR (MacLaine and Audrey) and THESE THREE (Oberon and Hopkins)

• Like 1

How about Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers in Stage Door?  There were lots of women in the movie, but their relationship was the one the movie focused on. (They should have made another one--they had pretty good chemistry for people who supposedly disliked each other)

Both versions of When Ladies Meet qualify too. I personally prefer the Myrna Loy-Ann Harding version.

The Great Lie with Bette Davis and Mary Astor has George Brent as their shared love interest, but the movie's really about the relationship between the two women.

More recently there's been  Postcards from the Edge (Merryl Streep and Shirley MacClaine) Thelma and Louise (Susan Sarrandon and Geena Davis), The Heat ( with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock) and August:Osage County (with Merryl Streep and Julia Roberts.)

• Like 1

How about Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers in Stage Door?  There were lots of women in the movie, but their relationship was the one the movie focused on. (They should have made another one--they had pretty good chemistry for people who supposedly disliked each other)

Both versions of When Ladies Meet qualify too. I personally prefer the Myrna Loy-Ann Harding version.

The Great Lie with Bette Davis and Mary Astor has George Brent as their shared love interest, but the movie's really about the relationship between the two women.

More recently there's been  Postcards from the Edge (Merryl Streep and Shirley MacClaine) Thelma and Louise (Susan Sarrandon and Geena Davis), The Heat ( with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock) and August:Osage County (with Merryl Streep and Julia Roberts.)

Good examples.  THELMA AND LOUISE is definitely worth mentioning here.  Both leads were nominated for the Best Actress Oscar, and many thought they cancelled each other out, paving the way for Jodie Foster to win that year.  And speaking of Foster, THE ACCUSED (made in 1989) has two strong female performances, one from Foster and another by Kelly McGillis.

Katherine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly, Last Summer (1959). Monty Clift is overshadowed by the two female portrayals. both women were nominated for Oscars for this film, but lost out to Simone Signoret in Room at the Top.

Katherine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly, Last Summer (1959). Monty Clift is overshadowed by the two female portrayals. both women were nominated for Oscars for this film, but lost out to Simone Signoret in Room at the Top.

IN THIS OUR LIFE( Bette and Olivia) and MILDRED PIERCE (Crawford and Blyth)

IN THIS OUR LIFE( Bette and Olivia) and MILDRED PIERCE (Crawford and Blyth)

I referenced IN THIS OUR LIFE in the original post.  I was going to mention HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE but I think in that picture Olivia is slightly less integral and more supporting.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings