Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Up for a challenge? Think you can remember old films?

Jackdashack

I have had either 2 remembrances of pieces of 2 films or 2 pieces of 1 film that I have never seen aired anywhere. Even in all the years I've watched AMC long ago and the many years I've watched TCM. Anyone here a teen back in the 60's when all we had was broadcast tv? The only place to see old movies was the Afternoon Movie at 5pm or the Late Night Movie at 10 or 11pm. These pieces I remember are vivid but no one yet has been able to remember them. I wish I could give Robert Osborne a crack at them. I'll try to describe these flashes of memory. Again, either 2 different movies or 2 pieces of one movie.

(1) This sticks in my memory as a lot of the movie was shot around an old Victorian home. I believe it was a very uptight and straight laced mother and father who kept a daughter (?) I believe locked up in a room in the attic. I can't remember exactly why. But she did try to escape and possibly would throw pieces of paper from the attic but to no avail. I can't remember how it came out. But it was obvious it was meaness on the parents part against this daughter. By the way she was not a child. I would say a young woman of her 20's. And she was always dressed in that button up laced clothing of the Victorian period. A very strange situation but vivid in my mind and I'm 100% sure of the above.

(2) This also, but not sure if it's the same movie. Seems not likely because in this movie there were taxis and cars. In this one scene the camera shot through the front window showing the taxi driver and the couple sitting in the back. The driver was mouthy and sort of jubliantly talking and as he did you could see in the back window as the taxi moved along it was lifting higher and higher until it was flying. That's about all I remember.

I know, you're saying 60's huh? Sounds like an acid dream. LOL No, I wasn't doing that stuff in the 60's. These were probably movies I saw as I came home from stuffing shoppers bags at the local Acme. Tired and wanting to unwind, I turned on the LATE LATE SHOW for an old movie.

I hope someone has recollections.  Thanks  JackdaShack  ":-D

#1) kinda sounds like "Die, Die My Darling" ('65), see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/73097/Die-Die-My-Darling-/full-synopsis.html

mr6666 that sounds like a good contender. I'm going to see if I can see some of it somewhere. Do you think it has been shown on TCM? If so, I have missed it everytime over the years. Thanks, that may answer this thing one thing that has bothered me in a challenging kinda way. Now if someone picks up on the other flash of old memory I have about the taxi couple. Thanks again! ":-D jack

Finally got to look a bit into the suggestiong it might be Die Die My Darling. I don't think so. This movie I remember was B&W and I see this movie with Stephanie Powers and Tallulah Bankhead was in color. So doesn't appear to be a match. So the 2 instances stuck in my head are still a mystery but I know I saw them during the 60's on the old Late Show. They must have been produced in the 40's. ":-\\ Thanks  Jack

Your descriptions remind me of (1942) KING'S ROW You can check TCMDB and read the synopsis of the film. The film stars Robert Cummings, Ann Sheridan. Ronald Reagan. Charles Coburn plays an evil doctor who locks his daughter up. Hope that helps

Thanks lavenderblue ... I am familiar with King's Row. No ... this was a very dark themed movie. I guess Kings Row had some dark moments but this movie didn't seem to have a light moment in it. Still a mystery. It would take someone like Robert Osborne I'm afraid with an immeasurable amount of movie knowledge. Thanks very much still!  ":-D  jack

Thanks Mr. Crotchety! Hope there's no nickname given there to you! LOL But, sorry, I looked and that's not the movie. Possilby it's one that was irretrievable, lost to decay but I remember it well enough to know it was an old attic and the clothes were older. There's still the movie with the cab, cabbie and couple in the back that you could see the car rising slowly above the street and then above the city. Don't say I was high! lol The answers may come someday. Thanks again! Jack ":-D.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings