Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your favorite musician in film

Kid Dabb

That's easy for me: Hoagy Carmichael

Every time I hear him play and sing, I'm fascinated with his style and creativity. And his acting.. not too bad there either. He's so comfortable in front of the camera. Relaxed and natural. Very down home. But his music is what I like best.

:P

Go Hoagy!

• Like 1

That's easy for me: Hoagy Carmichael

Every time I hear him play and sing, I'm fascinated with his style and creativity. And his acting.. not too bad there either. He's so comfortable in front of the camera. Relaxed and natural. Very down home. But his music is what I like best.

:P
Go Hoagy!

Sinatra singing in his various films. His singing style sets the mood of the films perfectly. PAL JOEY, THE JOKER IS WILD, COME BLOW YOUR HORN, THE TENDER TRAP. MEET DANNY WILSON, A HOLE IN THE HEAD, and on and on.

Check out this bit of wiki on Hoagy.. 

His first major song with his own lyrics was "Rockin' Chair", recorded by Armstrong and Mildred Bailey, and eventually with his own hand-picked studio band (featuring Bix, Bubber MileyBenny GoodmanTommy DorseyBud FreemanEddie LangJoe Venuti, and Gene Krupa) on May 15, 1930.

How about those names.. they were in his band!

Hoagy had a nice, laid-back, relaxed style all right.  And a pleasant presence.  The kind of guy you wouldn't mind knowing personally.

But for musicianship, I'd have to go with OSCAR LEVANT.  HE also handled the wisecracking "buddy of the star" to a point of perfection.  I have several old recordings of his, and what he was capable of on the piano was unbelievable!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yes. Oscar is very good. I was going to post him as my next musician.. you beat me to it! LOL! He always seems to play the same character, as you say: Piano-playing buddy/sidekick. I usually found myself enjoying his musical performances over the star's "acting out" their musical performances.