Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Haunted Nite

NipkowDisc

I very much appreciate TCM showing The Haunting and The Legend of Hell House together because that is what I would do  :)   I always enjoy watching Bob Wise's The Haunting as a comedy given Julie Harris' performance as an annoying neurotic who craves attention. Certainly the house couldn't get started until she got there :lol: At the end she becomes the house's new spokeswoman. :D    I also like The latter film but find the ending a letdown. Also somewhat enjoyable is Poltergeist. (the movie not the featurette)  :lol:  Mercifully Tobe Hooper avoids getting too touchy-feely with the move torward the light new age stuff.

post-41875-0-04379200-1400341570_thumb.jpg

post-41875-0-04379200-1400341570_thumb.jpg

I don't think I could ever regard The Haunting as a comedy. It's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. I've viewed it many times, and I'm still thoroughly frightened by the time it's over.

I do agree that Julie Harris can be "over the top", annoying even. I am not a Julie Harris fan. But her permanently anxious facial expression does suit the mood of The Haunting very well.

(ps: Do all Americans now spell "night"as "nite" ?)

I did not believe that: The Haunting (1963) could be scarier than it was during my previous watchings of it. I was proven wrong. My fiance and I watched the Doctor Who episode which introduced: Weeping Angels and then watched: The Haunting (1963) immediately after. The gargoyles depicted seem to take on a new life. The scene in the solarium became subconsciously surreal horror. 

I don't think I could ever regard The Haunting as a comedy. It's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. I've viewed it many times, and I'm still thoroughly frightened by the time it's over.

I do agree that Julie Harris can be "over the top", annoying even. I am not a Julie Harris fan. But her permanently anxious facial expression does suit the mood of The Haunting very well.

(ps: Do all Americans now spell "night"as "nite" ?) I suppose it was an exaggeration to call it a comedy but Julie Harris' subconscious musings to herself about the house wanting her aren't exactly what I would call scary.  Nite? It has always been standard grammar for cinema marquees.   :D

I noticed in The Haunting, when Nell is reading her directions to Hill House she reads, ".. take Route 50 out of Boston.."

I Googled that and couldn't find a Route 50 anywhere near Boston. I'm not nitpicking this, just something made me curious to look it up as I was watching the scene.

For me, one of the best parts is when Nell is greeted at the front door and taken to her room, in which the "..no one will come any nearer than that. In the night. In the dark." conversation takes place. Then when she repeats it, almost verbatim, to Theo upon seeing her to her room.

"For me, one of the best parts is when Nell is greeted at the front door and taken to her room, in which the "..no one will come any nearer than that. In the night. In the dark." conversation takes place. Then when she repeats it, almost verbatim, to Theo upon seeing her to her room."

& Theo's bored non-reaction to same is great! :D

Ok. The Legend of Hell House (1973). I'm really getting into the soundtrack here.. 

wiki: The film features an electronic music score and sound effects created by Delia Derbyshire and Brian Hodgson recorded at Hodgson's Electrophon studio in London. The soundtrack is currently unavailable commercially.

Oh, and I really dig when they show the date and time to begin a scene - I love that kind of stuff because it conveys a sense of impending doom. Great atmosphere with that stuff - the soundtrack and the date/time thing.

Roddy McDowall is just good in whatever he does. I like his vampire film. This is better than Halloween

My cinder block wall just bowed inward..  GOTTA GO!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings