Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sending or receiving end (out of sync audio) TCM

nogritsforme

A year ago, I had the same problem:  TCM audio out of sync.  I explained my concern to Cox Communications.  [Another over-the-weekend experience.]  There was a litany of questions and my same response:  no, I don't have a cable box. . .no, it's not any other channel, it's TCM . . .no, there is nothing wrong with my receiving equipment.  etc., etc., etc.  I eventually (in frustration you can be assured) was connected to a "technician" in Mobile, AL, who told me that Cox does not investigate this type of  incident until there are enough to warrant the investigation.  All channels being received in my home at this time are in sync with the exception of TCM. . . . .as they were a little over a year ago.  It was at least two days before there was a correction and almost a week later that I received an E-mail from Cox in Atlanta apologizing for the delay in replying, noting that the problem had been corrected.  This time around, the out-of-sync audio was noticed early A. M., Sunday, May 18, 2014.  I've had to go through the same reporting procedure as last year.  I wonder how long it will be before I can enjoy TCM again.

Not being a "techie," I would think that it's as easy as pushing a button to correct the problem?  The question is, who pushes the button, or makes the audio correction?  TCM or Cox Communications?  And, if so, why isn't there an easier way to get around all the "red tape" of just reporting such a "simple" matter.

Reporting from New Orleans, Louisiana.

I'm in NYC and I have the same problem with my TCM reception although it is less frequent now than it had been. It was beyond watchable the other night when LITTLE WOMEN was playing.

And yes, this does not happen with any other station that I watch. I've been through three cable boxes and it still happens.

Not being a "techie," I would think that it's as easy as pushing a button to correct the problem?  The question is, who pushes the button, or makes the audio correction?  TCM or Cox Communications?  And, if so, why isn't there an easier way to get around all the "red tape" of just reporting such a "simple" matter.

If a problem were at TCM's end it would affect every single one of us and that rarely happens. It's far too complicated to explain, but definately isn't "a simple matter" and does involves more than just pushing a button to correct.

You say it never happens on any other channel, but that probably isn't really the case. It just doesn't happen on the particular channel you're watching during the time you're actually watching it. It may very well happen and you just have never seen it. I get my programming from DirecTV and every now and then will stumble across a channel which has the audio out of sync.

Most cable companies will never admit the trouble is with them and will always blame the channel whether it's TCM or another.

• Like 1

I'm in NYC and I have the same problem with my TCM reception although it is less frequent now than it had been. It was beyond watchable the other night when LITTLE WOMEN was playing.

And yes, this does not happen with any other station that I watch. I've been through three cable boxes and it still happens.

Clore, I'm in NYC, too (Queens to be more exact), and I've also had this problem, but I have noticed it on other channels as well as TCM.  What's really bizarre is that I have 2 televisions and it seems to only happen on the one in the bedroom.  There have been many times when I've turned the television on in the bedroom and, seeing the picture's out of sync, I've immediately gone to the set in the living room, turned it on and everything's fine.  Just to be sure, I've run back and forth between the two sets to confirm this just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Clore, I'm in NYC, too (Queens to be more exact), and I've also had this problem, but I have noticed it on other channels as well as TCM. 

With the first two cable boxes, I was able to overcome the problem by turning the box off for a couple of minutes, and then upon turning it on again, I could get perhaps two hours before the synch problems would resurface. With the new box, which has a DVR, I have to unplug it and reboot it - which can take up to ten minutes.

Now I have the new problem of having to change the resolution in order to make a DVD recording though. If I want to record an old 1.37:1 film, I must set the box to the 480i setting, or else I get window-boxed DVDs. That's because there's no more TCM SD, only the HD feed is offered as of May 1.

Yeah, I get this same problem every time I watch one of those Godzilla flicks!

(...well, except for some same strange reason, Raymond Burr's voice is the ONLY one in sync!!!) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It was quite bad all day today, I tried rebooting but that didn't help. It's not affecting any other channels that I've checked, nor the DVRed episode of Maverick that I made earlier from a Cozi-TV airing that was going on while I tried to watch Seven Keys to Baldpate this morning.

I gave up on the latter.

• 3 months later...
I had never experienced this until this year - with my Samsung LCD HDTVs. Now, it's nearly an everyday occurrence, which is not channel specific.

I have discovered an apparent cause and a temporary fix. Unfortunately, this won't help those who are recording, as it takes a second or two to reset - by that time, even if you've caught it immediately, your recording is messed up.

When this occurs, hit the channel up then down buttons (or Previous Channel button - twice to get back to your original channel). This will start the resynching process over (as it does each time you change channels) and will, 99.999% of the time, correctly resynch your video/audio.

This works on all my Samsung LCD HDTVs.. don't know about other brands. I can't tell if this is caused by my cable provider, the proprietary electronics in my Samsung TVs, or a combination of both. So.. this may only help those of you with Samsung LCD HDTVs and/or Bright House Cable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By temporary fix, I mean all will be resynchronized, and remain so, until you switch channels. This starts the resynching of video and audio all over again which may or may not occur - in most cases it will resynch just fine.

When you first turn on your HDTV or, after having been on for a time, change the channel, the video and audio signals must synch - each time. Lately, for some reason, these signals have occasional trouble synching - I never had this problem with any of my LCD HDTVs prior to this year. I do not know what the root cause of this is.

Note: I do not use cable boxes or recorders in my set-up. The remotes I use to reset my TVs are the original remotes furnished with the TVs when new - not those of a cable provider's box or those of a recording device. Whichever device does the audio/video synching, that's the remote you should use to flip the channels.