Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gordon Willis (1931-2014)

jakeem

The great cinematographer, who enhanced Francis Ford Coppola's "The Godfather" trilogy and Alan Pakula's "All the President's Men" through his stunning camera work, has died at the age of 82. He also collaborated with Woody Allen on several movies, including "Annie Hall," "Manhattan" and "Zelig."
He never won a competitive Academy Award, but was presented an honorary Oscar on November 14, 2009 for "unsurpassed mastery of light, shadow, color and motion."

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/19/gordon-willis

The more I think about the inscription for Willis' honorary Academy Award -- for "unsurpassed mastery of light, shadow, color and motion" -- the more I remember his photography for "All the President's Men" (1976). One moment, the Watergate-era drama would show a frightening and tension-filled night scene, representing wrongdoing in Washington D.C. It would be followed immediately by a jarring shot of the brightly lit newsroom of The Washington Post, representing the search for truth. I look forward to seeing it again soon.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings