Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got hooked again.

slaytonf

I've remarked elsewhere about the danger I face tuning in to even a few moments of The Music Man.  The movie's sly and insinuating charm always snares me into watching through to the end.  I found tonight 84 Charing Cross Road does the same to me, though for different reasons.  I only intended to watch a moment or two while I computered, but was drawn insensibly in.  The best way I can describe its effect is that it promotes alpha wave activity in my brain.  The combination of the fine writing, and the delightful performances of Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins produces in me a state analogous to meditation.  Even though the story is a chronicle of their character's relationship, I watch it in a timeless world, divorced from the cares and woes of mundane life.

Nice post.

I've only seen 84 Charing Cross Road once. I liked it, but it didn't affect me the way it clearly did you. However, often a film only reveals all its treasures with subsequent viewings. 

it hadn't occurred to me to watch it last night, but now I'm rather sorry I didn't. 

I do know exactly what you mean when it comes to The Music Man. It's one of my favourite movies in any genre, and certainly one of my very favourite musicals. Everything about it is perfect - the cast, the story, the characters, and of course the outstanding songs and musical numbers. I don't usually like long movies, but this one never feels like the 150 minutes or so it is.

Something you said though, I found particularly interesting to ponder. I gather you had the television on, obviously tuned to TCM.

This is a habit I've noticed a lot of people here practice. The tv is turned on, set at Turner Classic Movie channel, and sort of left there all day. Whether or not the person has planned to watch something specific, it's just tuned to TCM and sort of "there" as background. Presumably if something comes on that catches their interest, they turn up the volume (or maybe it's already turned up) and start watching it.

Or maybe they just watch random "bits", especially if it's a film they already know well, and don't need to watch from beginning to end to follow. Or they have a favourite scene, and enjoy that particular scene or exchange of dialogue, and then carry on with something else. Perhaps they're in another room, with the volume turned up, and are listening to the film without watching it.

There are all kinds of different possibilities with this. Personally, I don't do it. I tend to be "all or nothing", commit to watching the movie from beginning to end or not at all (kind of like "All or Nothing At All", most famous version sung by Frank Sinatra. Sorry...)

There's not "right" or "wrong" to this, it's just interesting, the different ways people watch television, and TCM in particular.

Sorry, slayton, I hope I didn't derail your thread. Maybe you wanted it to be more about 84 Charing Cross Road than about random TCM -watching styles.

• Like 1

I didn't watch last night, but I did have the pleasure of watching 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD last year on another station ( think it might have been HBO or Showtime) Love this film. Charming, intelligent,

beautiful and sensitive and loving performances by Anne Bancroft and

Anthony Hopkins.

• Like 1

I like this film a lot, too.  I created a thread for it in the Romance forum.  And I perused other internet boards related to the author of the original book.  I was definitely captivated by her story.

I couldn't help wondering how the film would have turned out if Hopkins had done it with Merchant Ivory.  I think it might have had slightly better production values, though Brooksfilms did a fine job, and so did Miss Bancroft.

• Like 1

For me, 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD produces in me a state of somnibulistic apnea that I don't snap out of until something breakable vibrates off a shelf or table and crashes to the floor.

But I've gotten into the state you mentioned with other movies, so I know what you're going on about.

Sepiatone

Nice post.

Something you said though, I found particularly interesting to ponder. I gather you had the television on, obviously tuned to TCM.

This is a habit I've noticed a lot of people here practice. The tv is turned on, set at Turner Classic Movie channel, and sort of left there all day. Whether or not the person has planned to watch something specific, it's just tuned to TCM and sort of "there" as background. Presumably if something comes on that catches their interest, they turn up the volume (or maybe it's already turned up) and start watching it.

Or maybe they just watch random "bits", especially if it's a film they already know well, and don't need to watch from beginning to end to follow. Or they have a favourite scene, and enjoy that particular scene or exchange of dialogue, and then carry on with something else. Perhaps they're in another room, with the volume turned up, and are listening to the film without watching it.

There are all kinds of different possibilities with this. Personally, I don't do it. I tend to be "all or nothing", commit to watching the movie from beginning to end or not at all (kind of like "All or Nothing At All", most famous version sung by Frank Sinatra. Sorry...)

There's not "right" or "wrong" to this, it's just interesting, the different ways people watch television, and TCM in particular.

Sorry, slayton, I hope I didn't derail your thread. Maybe you wanted it to be more about 84 Charing Cross Road than about random TCM -watching styles.

Thank you for your compliment.  You needn't apologize for your observations, I appreciated them very much.  You described how I often make use of TCM.  The subject of this thread is slender enough for me not to be upset about it going off on a tangent.

somnibulistic apnea 

Mmm.  Curious combination of terms.  You mean while watching the movie, you walk around while being fitfully half-woken from sleep?