Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In character with Victor Moore

TopBilled

Is anyone else enjoying the morning schedule of Victor Moore films?  

Other Moore films, not screened today, but shown in the past on TCM, include Paramount's LOUISIANA PURCHASE (with Vera Zorina and Bob Hope) where Moore truly steals the picture away from Hope.  And one he did with Ann Miller, this time for Columbia in the 1940s, called CAROLINA BLUES.  It was Kay Kyser's last film, and Moore (in the days before Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers and Eddie Murphy) plays six characters, two of them female!

• Like 1

Victor Moore played Clarence the Angel in two radio versions of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.  I have always wondered if he was originally wanted by Capra to play the role in the picture.  Henry Travers was pretty much a second-tier actor and I would not be surprised if scheduling prevented Moore from doing the picture.  Capra was originally to direct IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, which starred Moore.

Victor Moore played Clarence the Angel in two radio versions of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.  I have always wondered if he was originally wanted by Capra to play the role in the picture.  Henry Travers was pretty much a second-tier actor and I would not be surprised if scheduling prevented Moore from doing the picture.  Capra was originally to direct IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, which starred Moore.

Yes, it is possible that Moore was intended to play Clarence the Angel.  

I am glad to see IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE scheduled today.  I like it when we do not have to wait till December to see some of these holiday classics again.

Other Moore films, not screened today, but shown in the past on TCM, include Paramount's LOUISIANA PURCHASE (with Vera Zorina and Bob Hope) where Moore truly steals the picture away from Hope.  And one he did with Ann Miller, this time for Columbia in the 1940s, called CAROLINA BLUES.  It was Kay Kyser's last film, and Moore (in the days before Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers and Eddie Murphy) plays six characters, two of them female!

Moore, though a star on Broadway, was almost always a supporting player in films, with the notable exception of MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (1937).

Victor Moore created the role on Broadway in the play "Louisiana Purchase". Moore ended his career in films  as the plumber who has to get Marilyn Monroe's toe unstuck from the bathtub faucet in "The Seven Year Itch"..He was fun to watch...

• Like 1

I found him grating in today's movies. I think there were some in the past where I didn't mind him.

But no matter, I got to see a glimpse of the beautiful, gorgeous, underappreciated, underutilized Ann Harding in one of the movies before I turned it off.

Oh, and the movies may have stunk, but the opening cartoon credits were cool-o. Who was the artist, anyone know? His/her work seems very familiar. I doubt they used a female artist, but you never know.

Broadway star George S. Irving has often portrayed parts in Broadway musical revivals that were done originally by Victor Moore.

I have to tell you that I watched THE HEAT'S ON recently when it aired on TCM.  It's not the best film, probably two stars out of four, but Moore is an absolute riot with Mae West in their scenes together.  

Moore's Broadway credits stretch from 1906 to 1957...and West's Broadway years occurred between 1911 and 1951.  

I found him grating in today's movies. I think there were some in the past where I didn't mind him.

But no matter, I got to see a glimpse of the beautiful, gorgeous, underappreciated, underutilized Ann Harding in one of the movies before I turned it off.

Oh, and the movies may have stunk, but the opening cartoon credits were cool-o. Who was the artist, anyone know? His/her work seems very familiar. I doubt they used a female artist, but you never know.

Harding was far from underutilized and unappreciated in the early '30s. Her career declined quickly after that.

• 2 years later...

I just discovered another broadcast in which both Capra and Moore appeared together - in a IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE take-off episode of THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM in Feb 1947.  Once again, Moore played the angel.  Hmmmm.....

• Like 1

I've known a gentleman who was a dead ringer for Victor Moore. He not only "looked" like the actor he also sounded like him. His name was Vinson Hayes and was an attorney in NYC. He passed away more than ten years ago. When people are taken for doubles for other people it's amazing how genetics can play such tricks.

• Like 1

I just discovered another broadcast in which both Capra and Moore appeared together - in a IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE take-off episode of THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM in Feb 1947.  Once again, Moore played the angel. 

Is this broadcast available online? Or was it something you came across in a private collection somewhere? 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings