Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name 10 Facts About This Actor

6-Janet Leigh described what happened during the filming of Safari in Africa as one of  the funniest thing on a set in her career.At one point Victor was supposed to jump in the water with crocodiles coming.The White Hunter consultant wanted to reassure him saying :Iwill shoot in the air and they will be scared,they will go the other way'' Mature answered back ' And suppose one of them is hard of hearing?''

The other version is this one:   Apparently, the good natured Mature enjoyed playing golf and chasing women more than making movies, and he balked at the idea of going to Africa to shoot the film. Vic wanted to shoot the film on one of Hollywood's back lots while Director Terrence Young insisted on the realism and danger that only the jungle could afford. During the filming of "Safari" Vic was told that he had to run into a lake to rescue the heroine (Leigh). He immediately refused. Director Young demanded to know why he refused to do the scene. Vic told him that "There could be crocodiles in the water!" Young immediately called over the film's   consultant to explain the situation to him. The Guide laughed and said, "Of course, there are crocodiles in the water....but you don't have to worry, Mr. Mature. I'll fire a couple shots off my rifle an hour or so before the scene, and all the crocks in the area will leave...in fact they will be miles away when we shoot the scene." Dumbfounded by the information, Vic asked, "Why would they leave the area when you fire your rifle?" The Hunter responded, "Because the crocks have sensitive ears...much more sensitive than we humans...and they will leave the area." Vic continued to refuse to shoot the scene. Frustrated, Director Young, demanded to know why Vic would not shoot the scene. Finally Vic responded by saying, "What if one of the crocodiles just happens to be deaf!" Eventually, a terrified Victor Mature gave in to Director Young's demands, and timidly entered the water while actress Janet Leigh nervously watched nearby.

9 -During the filming of Samson & Delilah,Victor who was already suffering from various phobias was frightened by a number of the animals and mechanical props used in the production, including the lions, the wind machine, the swords and even the water. This infuriated DeMille, who bellowed through his megaphone at the assembled cast and crew: "I have met a few men in my time. Some have been afraid of heights, some have been afraid of water, some have been afraid of fire, some have been afraid of closed spaces. Some have even been afraid of open spaces -- or themselves. But in all my 35 years of picture-making experience, Mr. Mature, I have not until now met a man who was 100 percent yellow." DeMille has assured his star that Jacky, the lion who roared in the famous MGM logo, is miscast as a man killer. “DeMille thinks it will be very dramatic if there is a scene in which I put my head in the lion’s mouth,” Mature recalled. “ ‘Don’t worry, Victor,’ he calls out. ‘Jacky is harmless. He’s a very old lion and all his teeth have been pulled.’ I yell back, ‘That’s fine, Mr. DeMille, but I don’t want to be gummed to death, either!’ ”

His father got into commercial refrigeration with great success,the family was wealthy.

Victor was always more interested in business than schooling. At 15, fibbing that he was older, he got a job as a salesman with Bradas & Gheens, a candy-manufacturing company. It was around this time that he dropped out of school. Later, he went independent in his candy operation, making then more than $150 a week selling product made by “an old Italian candy-maker.” By age 17, he had earned enough to buy a restaurant, the College Corner, at Brook and Oak streets in Louisville.

In August 1935, Mature sold the restaurant and took off for California to “do something different.” 

10-Was strongly considered by De Mille for the role of Samson in 1949 but lost out to Victor Mature . De Mille offered him a role in The Greatest Show on Earth 1952.De Mille  must have liked him.:.he offered him the role of Joshua in the 10 Commandments  1956,Wilde turned it down over money and role importance,Wilde always regretted it saying he was a fool to have  passed on it,De Mille never forgave him.

1-Meeting Robert Mitchum for the first time while filming Home From the Hill [1960], George Peppard asked, “Have you studied the Stanislavsky Method?” “No,” replied Mitchum, “but I’ve studied the Smirnoff Method.”

• Haha 2

4.  Was originally cast as Blake Carrington on Dynasty.  Clashing with producers after three weeks of shooting, Peppard was fired.  He was replaced with John Forsythe  and all of Peppard's scenes were re-shot.

5) Peppard's working relationship with A Team co star Mr T soured after one season. In a TV interview Peppard said "The man is an embarrassment, I have nothing more to say to him or about him"

Edited by Det Jim McLeod
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

5) Peppard's working relationship with A Team co star Mr T soured after one season. In a TV interview Peppard said "The man is an embarrassment, I have nothing more to say to him or about it"

5a) It quickly soured when Mr. T, a Showbiz beginner, became the star of the show by public acclimation. Since Peppard was a veteran movie and television star, he couldn't help but be more than a little jealous. LOL