Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name 10 Facts About This Actor

10.  There continues to be much speculation that Linder may in fact have murdered his wife (or at least pressured her into killing herself).  He was known to be an intensely possessive, irrationally jealous, and mentally abusive husband, and reportedly confided to a friend that he "could not bear the thought of her belonging to another after he was gone." Her mother told the New York Times that her daughter had written a letter saying, "He will kill me."

Next:  Zasu Pitts

• Sad 1

7.  Pitts pronounced her own name "SAY-zoo" (somewhat counter-intuitively switching the S and Z sounds).  The name itself was derived from her aunts Eliza and Susan, "to satisfy competing family interests."

9.)  She appeared in  "All Quiet on the Western Front" but was replaced by Beryl Mercer.  The reason is that she was associated with comedy, and it was felt that the audience would not take her seriously in a dramatic role.

• Like 3

10.  Based on her performance in Greed, Erich von Stroheim declared Pitts to be "the greatest dramatic actress" and subsequently cast her in both The Wedding March (1928) and its sequel, The Honeymoon (1930) (the only remaining copy of which was lost in a fire in the 1950s).

Next:  Edith Evans

• Like 1

2.  She was famed for her interpretation of the indomitable Lady Bracknell in Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest.  Her inimitable delivery of the immortal line, "A handbag??" has become something of an internet meme and inspired various remixes.

• Like 4

3. She had a long and incredibly distinguished stage career as a great classical actress who could also play modern roles. Although she often played in Shaw and Shakespeare, her breakthrough role, which earned her superlatives, was in 1924, as Millamant in Congreve's Restoration comedy The Way of the World, at the Lyric Hammersmith.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4.  During World War II, she entertained the troops at home and overseas, returning to Britain in 1945 for a production of Sheridan's “The Rivals.”    The next year she was made a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to the theater.

• Like 2

6.  Edith  Evans  was  in  The  Chalk  Garden  1964   in  the  role  as  Mrs.  St . Maugham  and  she  performed  the  same  role  on  stage. 

• Like 2

8.  In a 1961 New Yorker magazine profile, she was interviewed while eating cherry blintzes at Ratner's kosher restaurant in New York City: "I had a great deal of physical energy. As a child, I was considered naughty. At church, I would kneel on the seat and look round and sing very loudly. My poor mother! I read a lot and played rough games. I was always overactive. The energy is all right now. We've got it harnessed. But it's taken a long time."

• Like 1