Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name 10 Facts About This Actor

4. Her favorite co-star was dancer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, who appeared with her in the films "The Little Colonel" (1935), "The Littlest Rebel" (1935) and "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" (1938).

5.) In 1947 she appeared in "THAT HAGEN GIRL" with Ronald Reagan, Neither actor wanted to appear in the film, because Reagan's character was "in love" with Shirley's and there was an age difference (Reagan was 46 and Temple was 21).

8. As Shirley Temple Black, she ran as a Republican candidate for a vacant congressional seat in California's 11th district. She lost the 1967 special election to Republican Pete McCloskey, a liberal who became an ardent opponent of the Vietnam War during the Nixon years.

10. In her 1988 autobiography "Child Star," she wrote that a well-known MGM producer exposed himself in her presence when she was 12 years old. Embarrassed by her reaction -- she giggled incessantly -- he threw her out of his office.

Next: Hedy Lamarr. 

2. At the age of 18, she rose to fame in Czech director Gustav Machatý's 1933 film "Ecstasy," with scenes in which her character reacted to sexual pleasure and appeared  in the nude. The title of her 1967 autobiography was "Ecstasy and Me: My Life As a Woman."

4. In Mel Brooks' 1974 comedy western "Blazing Saddles," Harvey Korman plays a political aide named Hedley Lamarr, who frequently corrects people about the pronunciation of his first name. At one point, a discussion about a possible lawsuit by Hedy Lamarr comes up. Brooks (playing a governor named LePetomane) declares: "What the hell are you worried about? This is 1874. You’ll be able to sue her!” 

Lamarr actually did sue Brooks for the comedic bits about her name in the movie. They settled out of court. 

6. During Lamarr's film career, her roster of male co-stars included Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Charles Boyer, James Stewart, Bob Hope, Robert Young, William Powell, Walter Pidgeon, Ray Milland, Ronald Colman and Victor Mature.

8. Actress Anne Hathaway told The Los Angeles Times that she modeled her version of Catwoman in "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012) on Lamarr. "I know this sounds odd, but her breathing is extraordinary," Hathaway said. "She takes these long, deep, languid breaths and exhales slowly. There's a shot of her in 'Ecstasy' exhaling a cigarette and I took probably five breaths during her one exhale. So I started working on my breathing a lot."

10.) She died January 19, 2000 and her ashes were scattered over the Vienna Woods in accordance with her last wishes.

Next: NANCY DAVIS

1.) She was born Ann Francis Robbins on July 6, 1921.

5. The only time the Reagans appeared together in a movie was when they did "Hellcats of the Navy" (1957). A year later, on November 23, 1958, they co-starred in a Thanksgiving-themed episode of television's "General Electric Theater" titled "A Turkey for the President."

7. As First Lady during the Reagan Administration, she appeared in a very special 1983 episode of the NBC sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," in which she brought her "Just Say No" anti-drug message to television.

8.) She wrote her autobiography "MY TURN" in 1989.  The title came about as result of Donald Regan's book "FOR THE RECORD" saying that Nancy consulted astrologer Joan Quigley, who had know Nancy's friend and "birthday sharer" Merv Griffin.