Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: Director blasts Leonard Maltin for inaccurate review

TopBilled

You're welcome, TB.

Just to add here that with my formative years occurring in Los Angeles during the '60s, and indeed having lived most of my life in the L.A. area, the movie critics which influenced me the most in regard to desiring to see a particular nearly released film were the L.A. Times' Charles Champlin, and then later on Kenneth Turan.

(...both of whom I always felt were reasonably evenhanded in their reviews)

Yes, I thought Champlin and Turan were more than fair in their reviews.  I remember going to see an art film in L.A.-- I think it was LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE-- and they (the theatre owners) had blown up Turan's positive review of the film.  It was put on an easel in the mall, just in front of the theatre.  The idea was that if Turan said it was good, it had to be good, and of course, you must see it!

I think Champlin has a cameo in Altman's THE PLAYER.

BackTTPast - "I don't know how many bad movies..."

But if you had read the review of "Taxi Driver" before seeing the film you might not have seen it. (You might have liked some of those bad movies.)

I have seen more than a few bad movies even after reading Maltins review mainly because it had a actor/actress in it that I liked. Much more often than not it wasn't a good film(IMO) so I try to avoid anything under 2 1/2 stars unless I hear good things about it somewhere else or if it involves one of my favorite actors/actresses.