Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies we have lost on YouTube

slaytonf

Some movies I would on occasion watch, but now (alas) have disappeared, or (gasp!) you have to pay to see:

Lola (by Demy, not Fassbinder)

They Might Be Giants  (a great loss)

That Man From Rio--no, wait! it's back!

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort

Trafic (by Tati)

Bay of Angels (fortunately scheduled for Jean Moreau's SUTS day)

Funny Face

and Charade!  (Ten Dollars!?!?)

The Road Home (also Ten Dollars!)

Revenge of a Kabuki Actor

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford

I've often noticed not just the "disappearance" of films on youtube (forced by the copyright holder),

but their reappearance as well! Sometimes you have to wait a while; how long depends on the popularity and fan base of the particular film. Sooner or later someone else may repost the film. As someone who has worked on and researched "project threads" heavily illustrated with youtube links on these boards, I've often seen this. Sometimes it was a matter of waiting a few weeks or months.

It's a never ending guerrilla war between copyright owners and posters. Some copyright owners have

have no stomach or resources for it and allow their properties to remain on youtube for free viewing.

Some will tolerate clips or segments, but draw the line at posting the entire film.

You can set up an email alert for a currently unavailable film via the google video page. This is probably also used to tip off copyright holders that someone has uploaded on of their properties.

A withdrawn film on youtube will often feature a user message steering you to some website where you could supposedly watch the entire film for free. I did this once and the link was a virus delivering malware site that landed my computer in the shop for a week! These alternate links are almost always "torrent" sites that require you to download some player software in order to find and view the film. None of them work like youtube, where you just look up a film, click and view. The player software is likely sponsored by advertisers,and it's purpose is to infect your computer with spyware and spam.

Cheer up folks! Cheer up Slayton! It' only a matter of time before some other person uploads those withdrawn films! Copyright holders are few, youtube posters many and growing in number. The situation of copyright holders reminds me of the German Wehrmacht when it was bogged down in Russia: despite the superiority of their arms and fire power- no matter how many waves of advancing Russians they would gun down and no matter how many bullets and shells they would spend upon the enemy, more of them would just keep coming! And on that cheerful note......

• Like 1

I've often noticed not just the "disappearance" of films on youtube (forced by the copyright holder),

but their reappearance as well! Sometimes you have to wait a while; how long depends on the popularity and fan base of the particular film. Sooner or later someone else may repost the film. As someone who has worked on and researched "project threads" heavily illustrated with youtube links on these boards, I've often seen this. Sometimes it was a matter of waiting a few weeks or months.

It's a never ending guerrilla war between copyright owners and posters. Some copyright owners have

have no stomach or resources for it and allow their properties to remain on youtube for free viewing.

Some will tolerate clips or segments, but draw the line at posting the entire film.

You can set up an email alert for a currently unavailable film via the google video page. This is probably also used to tip off copyright holders that someone has uploaded on of their properties.

A withdrawn film on youtube will often feature a user message steering you to some website where you could supposedly watch the entire film for free. I did this once and the link was a virus delivering malware site that landed my computer in the shop for a week! These alternate links are almost always "torrent" sites that require you to download some player software in order to find and view the film. None of them work like youtube, where you just look up a film, click and view. The player software is likely sponsored by advertisers,and it's purpose is to infect your computer with spyware and spam.

Cheer up folks! Cheer up Slayton! It' only a matter of time before some other person uploads those withdrawn films! Copyright holders are few, youtube posters many and growing in number. The situation of copyright holders reminds me of the German Wehrmacht when it was bogged down in Russia: despite the superiority of their arms and fire power- no matter how many waves of advancing Russians they would gun down and no matter how many bullets and shells they would spend upon the enemy, more of them would just keep coming! And on that cheerful note......

I know of two great streaming movie sites and I certainly don't watch 'em online. My ol' machine is too old for that so I just merely copy & paste the url and dl 'em and watch 'em on my TV after I put 'em on a disc. It's so much better that way.  :D

Thanks, Thelma, for your input.  I have noticed some movies reappear.  But most just vanish.  They sometimes come back as a pay-for-view option (as in Funny Face), or have some advertisement with them.  It seems providing a movie, even with a considerable amount of ads (not just the one at the start of the video), satisfies the audience to the extent that nobody attempts to upload it without them.

I'm currently on "probation" with YouTube over a video I posted on a private setting for Virginia Weidler's birthday. I wanted one or two of my friends to see it. My mistake.

Warner is more attentive to YouTube than most. They pulled it less than six hours after posting. And I had to watch a really stupid cartoon about copyright infringement. Ugh.

So I guess I'll go to the old fashioned "borrow the tape" route the next time. :)

BTW, I now use Dailymotion.com for a lot of my videos and have seen things up on that site.

Hi ginny,

One of my favorite youtube posters is going for "9 lives" with those people! (He's now on his fifth!)

He just goes for another username, which is usually some variant on the old, reloads the whole shmeer

and goes his merry way! There's a man who laughs at authority!

What particularly saddened me was the removal of Sybil Jason's Warner Brothers movies, not only the full features but even most of the clips, such as her unforgettable street urchin renditions of "Little Big Shot" and "I'm Rolling in Money".  I somehow missed recording The Captain's Kid with Jason and Guy Kibbee when it was shown on Jason's 80th birthday tribute, and after seeing it for a few weeks after that on You Tube, it disappeared and hasn't shown up again since. It's been four and a half years since it's been on TCM, and I sure wish they'd give it another screening.  Jason was every bit as good as Shirley Temple, but never got the promotion that she deserved.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings