Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for My Grandmother and Grandfather's Movies

JLBDreamer

I need some help to get a present for my mother. Her parents were director Alfred J. Goulding and actressDiana Seaby (they are here in this picture

My grandmother was in two short films I would like to find as listed below:

Circus Hoodoo (1934)

On Ice (1933)

I am also looking for certain films directed/written by my grandfather:

By the Sad Sea Waves (1917)

A Chump at Oxford (1940)

Dick Barton:Special Agent (1948)

I appreciate any help in locating their films. Thanks!

A Chump at Oxford, one of my two favorite L&H films, and Dick Barton, are both available through Amazon. The other 3, all shorts, starring Harry Langdon, and Harold Lloyd, are listed on the IMDb, but don't seem to  be available on Amazon. But, given the status of their stars, may be available somewhere. Good luck!

• Like 1

The short BY THE SAD SEA WAVES starring Harold Lloyd is available in a DVD set called "American Slapstick Volume 2" from All-Day Entertainment. Here's a link to the listing on their site: 

http://www.alldayentertainment.com/dvd_slapstick2.html

Unfortunately the two shorts CIRCUS HOODOO and ON ICE are currently considered lost. At least, nobody has been able to find copies, although a lot of Harry Langdon and other comedy fans have been seaching for many years. Material such as scripts and stills exist but as far as anyone knows, no film. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much. It's a shame the only things my grandmother did on film (counting a tap dance routine she did for a newsreel about a new car) are lost but I know a lot of the old shorts are. I did find a copy of a playbill for her on broadway for my mom and if I can purchase one of her father's films that will be a nice present.

Thanks for your help. Other boards I visited didn't, even know who Harry Langdon or Alf Goulding were. Thanks again.

The short BY THE SAD SEA WAVES starring Harold Lloyd is available in a DVD set called "American Slapstick Volume 2" from All-Day Entertainment. Here's a link to the listing on their site: 

http://www.alldayentertainment.com/dvd_slapstick2.html

Unfortunately the two shorts CIRCUS HOODOO and ON ICE are currently considered lost. At least, nobody has been able to find copies, although a lot of Harry Langdon and other comedy fans have been seaching for many years. Material such as scripts and stills exist but as far as anyone knows, no film.

Would you know where I could find out if scripts exist for either of these? A copy of an excerpt with her character's lines might be fun to add to a collage of some sort.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings