Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Johnny Allegro

Sepiatone

Never saw this "noir" before.  Don't know why I stuck it out, as it wasn't that good( MOVIES channel showed it last night).

But there was one guy in it I couldn't place at first.  The FACE was sorta familiar, but the VOICE bothered me as well.

Then it HIT me!   It was GRANDPA WALTON!

Up until then, BROKEN ARROW was the earliest film I've seen WILL GEER in.  And although there's only a year's difference in the two, he looked MUCH different in JA.

OK, go back to what you were doing.  Nothing that important here, just an observation.

Sepiatone

Watched some of it last night myself, Sepia. It just reinforced in my mind what a stiff Raft was. MAN, I'm tellin' ya, the way that guy reads his lines in everything he was ever in always sounds to me as if he's reading it off the script for the very first time! He's "infection", or at least his ATTEMPT at infection, was almost without exception just freakin' pathetic! NONE of his delivery of dialogue ever sounds natural in the LEAST!!!

(...okay, with one qualifier here: He WAS good as "Spats" Colombo in SOME LIKE IT HOT)

Watched some of it last night myself, Sepia. It just reinforced in my mind what a stiff Raft was. MAN, I'm tellin' ya, the way that guy reads his lines in everything he was ever in always sounds to me as if he's reading it off the script for the very first time! He's "infection", or at least his ATTEMPT at infection, was just freakin' pathetic! NONE of his delivery of dialogue ever sounds natural in the LEAST!!!

Coincidentally, SOME LIKE IT HOT, also featuring Raft, was on my PBS channel last night.

MAN, I'm tellin' ya, the way that guy reads his lines in everything he was ever in always sounds to me as if he's reading it off the script for the very first time! He's "infection", or at least his ATTEMPT at infection, was almost without exception just freakin' pathetic!

He may well not have read it at all. Raft never got past the sixth grade and it was a struggle for him to get that far. His assistant Mack Gray initially read the dialogue to him and Raft would memorize it. Supposedly he improved his skills, but oddly enough, it's his earlier performances that show signs of life. From MANPOWER on, one can see the difference if you compare those performances to the likes of THE BOWERY, SOULS AT SEA or SPAWN OF THE NORTH.

He may well not have read it at all. Raft never got past the sixth grade and it was a struggle for him to get that far. His assistant Mack Gray initially read the dialogue to him and Raft would memorize it. Supposedly he improved his skills, but oddly enough, it's his earlier performances that show signs of life. From MANPOWER on, one can see the difference if you compare those performances to the likes of THE BOWERY, SOULS AT SEA or SPAWN OF THE NORTH.

Well........

Sorry clore. I'm just waitin' for ya here to ALSO mention what a good dancer Ol' Stone Face was TOO!!! LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

I still think that if it wasn't for his "look", a look which resembled Valentino, he never in a million years would have had a chance at Hollywood stardom.

Saaay, come to THINK of it, I'll bet his "look" would have probably made him a MUCH bigger star if those lousy Warner Bros hadn't started that whole "Sound" thing with Jolson, huh! 

Jeez...all this from mentioning surprise at seeing WILL GEER in an early movie. 

Incidentally, my MOM came up with the best zinger about Raft I've ever heard.  Said it many, many moons ago:

"Every time I see George Raft in a movie, I keep looking for the STRINGS!"

Sepiatone

Jeez...all this from mentioning surprise at seeing WILL GEER in an early movie. 

Well, as you probably know Sepia, Will was blacklisted during the HUAC era, and thus explains his lack of filmography for much of the 1950s, and thus possibly also explains your surprise at seeing him in Ol' Stone Face's flick here.

Speaking of Will, years ago I attended a wedding that was performed at his rustic outdoor Topanga Canyon amphitheater. 

(...btw...loved your Mom's line!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings