Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Time For Sergeants/Onionhead

NipkowDisc

An Andy Griffith comedy double bill for this memorial day sunday. Last Time Tcm showed No Time For Sergeants they edited out the part with Don Knotts completely. I certainly hope that is not the case today.  :angry:

"By dogged, I just don't think I'll stand fer it."

post-41875-0-14219300-1401039945_thumb.jpg

post-41875-0-14219300-1401039945_thumb.jpg

ONIONHEAD is particularly sub-par, not quite figuring out what genre it wants to fall into-- but Griffith is fun as always and Felicia Farr turns in a charming performance.

NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS is better, but none of these film vehicles really allowed him to build on the dramatic potential he showed in the far, far superior A FACE IN THE CROWD.

ONIONHEAD is particularly sub-par, not quite figuring out what genre it wants to fall into-- but Griffith is fun as always and Felicia Farr turns in a charming performance.

NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS is better, but none of these film vehicles really allowed him to build on the dramatic potential he showed in the far, far superior A FACE IN THE CROWD.

I always try to watch A FACE IN THE CROWD as a comedy. Griffith's Lonesome Rhodes is a laugh riot. Yeah, he turned out to be a rat but by dogged, the guy was funny.  :)

post-41875-0-70109100-1401042356_thumb.jpg

post-41875-0-70109100-1401042356_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not two of my favorite films.  Andy G. wears on me fast.  I won't be watching them.

No Time For Sergeants fits in with a few other hillbilly movies made that are comedies. Maybe TCM can do a hillbilly day of movies sometime, lol.

I think A FACE IN THE CROWD should be counted a hillbilly movie too. 

I think A FACE IN THE CROWD should be counted a hillbilly movie too. 

Hmmmm...not so sure about that, ND. Considering that in THIS case the "hillbilly" was used as the protagonist to convey the thought that Americans of ALL stripes can be easily duped and are maybe more inclined into believing the "folksiest" of us can somehow be "more trusted to do the right thing" and be "good people" and somehow possess more "good ol' down home common sense", I'm of the mind that THIS film should maybe NOT be counted in with any comedies which portray those very thoughts as subtle "fact" and in a more lighthearted manner.

(...in THIS regard, I think there's MUCH more of a parallel to be drawn with the film "Elmer Gantry" than with any "Hillbilly" movie)

Edited by Dargo

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings