Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Train Films

I've been getting back into watching some of my favorite vintage films about trains lately. The Flying Scotsman and Danger Lights are two I thoroughly enjoy. Both are loaded with action-packed train sequences and nifty roundhouse work, though with a bit of silly dialogue tossed in (The Flying Scotsman, luckily, was one of those cross-over films during the silent-to-sound period and has little dialogue). I'd love to see William Wellman's Beggars of Life and Ford's The Iron Horse, but I don't think they're available. I know there's tons of them out there; Keaton's films, some of Griffith's, Wild Boys of the Road and similar-themed Emperor of the North Pole, The Lady Vanishes, The Great Train Robbery with Connery (not the Porter film) and Frankenheimer's The Train are other superb films for vintage train affectionados, and there's scores of films with great train sequences like Breakheart Pass, North by Northwest, The Young in Heart and Rio Lobo, but there must a few vintage classics centered entirely around trains like The Flying Scotsman that have escaped my attention. Even if I've previously known about them and forgotten the title, any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

We've had this category before, and I'll stick to my original choice of "The Narrow Margin" (1951) which takes place on a train throughout the entire film.

It's a terrific noir with femme fatale Marie Windsor and was just released on DVD.

Mongo

Thanks, Mongo. I haven't been at my local video retailer lately; I thought The Narrow Margin was out next week. I looked for the thread you mentioned has already took place but couldn't find it. Do you recall in what forum it was and how long ago? Thanks, again.

Johnny