Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, one of the best war films....

FredCDobbs

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH:  As good a WW2 movie as there is.  I salute all the vets of all our wars and especially the Army Air Force of WW2.  My father was one of the B24 vets of the 8th Air Force.  He was one of the lucky ones.  He came back in one piece even though he was shot down and spent a year in the German POW system.

Definitely a great and well made film, and still my favorite Greg Peck performance. Yep, even more than in Mockingboid!

(...and Char...how about a TRIPLE bill with COMMAND DECISION ?...another great USAAF movie!)

My father was one of the B24 vets of the 8th Air Force.  He was one of the lucky ones.  He came back in one piece even though he was shot down and spent a year in the German POW system.

Thanks for that story.

For young people:

Flak shells are filled with shrapnel and are set to explode at the altitude the bombers are flying. These shells are designed to damage aircraft and the men in them. We see the shell smoke in the movies, but we don’t usually see all the shrapnel.

Flying through German flak....... An airplane can't dodge the flak because it must stay on its straight bombing run course to the target......

neilson08_mod.jpg

I am currently reading a brilliant and fascinating new WW2 history book entitled THE BOMBERS AND THE BOMBED by Richard Overy.  After reading about 1/2 so far I heartily endorse this insightful book which covers the bombing war from both the Allied side and the Axis side plus the recipients of the high explosives and incendiary campaign in Europe from 1940 to 1945.  For anyone interested in the WW2 air war this should be a must read. 

Thanks for that story.

For young people:

Flak shells are filled with shrapnel and are set to explode at the altitude the bombers are flying. These shells are designed to damage aircraft and the men in them. We see the shell smoke in the movies, but we don’t usually see all the shrapnel.

Flying through German flak....... An airplane can't dodge the flak because it must stay on its straight bombing run course to the target......

neilson08_mod.jpg

Or as Dana Andrews calls the stuff in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES..."Little black flowers that grow in the sky".

I am currently reading a brilliant and fascinating new WW2 history book entitled THE BOMBERS AND THE BOMBED by Richard Overy.  After reading about 1/2 so far I heartily endorse this insightful book which covers the bombing war from both the Allied side and the Axis side plus the recipients of the high explosives and incendiary campaign in Europe from 1940 to 1945.  For anyone interested in the WW2 air war this should be a must read. 

Sounds interesting.  I like that so many perspectives are covered.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Just days away, June 6, 7, 8. The annual WW2 weekend of events at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum at the Reading Airport in Reading Pa. Lots of exhibits and aircraft flying around for 3 days and you can maybe get a ride in a B 17 or a B 24, B 25, etc. There still are some WW2 veterans with us who give talks and you can meet them one on one.  I 'll be spending my weekend at the show , its only 20 minutes from my home.

Just days away, June 6, 7, 8. The annual WW2 weekend of events at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum at the Reading Airport in Reading Pa. Lots of exhibits and aircraft flying around for 3 days and you can maybe get a ride in a B 17 or a B 24, B 25, etc. There still are some WW2 veterans with us who give talks and you can meet them one on one.  I 'll be spending my weekend at the show , its only 20 minutes from my home.

I wish I was close enough to attend this event.  Sounds absolutely fascinating.  Enjoy.

Archived