Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guest Programmer Dolores Hart tonight on TCM

TopBilled

This is certainly going to be one of the most entertaining and unusual events ever scheduled for a Guest Programmer! I can't wait to hear what Dolores Hart has to say. I hope she discusses how making "Francis of Assisi" might have influenced her decision to become a serious member of the religious community. Also did you see her Oscar-nominated film? It was quite inspirational.

And according to the TCM promo, she will reveal how Anna Magnani influenced her acting strategies. I can't wait! -)

• Like 1

I have been looking forward to this segment for a while now --- both for Delores Hart's commentary and for her choice of movies especially THE ROSE TATTOO starring the brilliant Anna Magnani.

I was disappointed when this movie was not shown when Burt Lancaster was Star of the Month.

I also like that Delores Hart selected a movie in which she herself appears (LISA). I think Guest Programmers should select their own work more often.

• Like 1

I also like that Delores Hart selected a movie in which she herself appears (LISA). I think Guest Programmers should select their own work more often.

I think that film is a touch underrated. I liked it quite a bit when I saw it a year or two ago.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the reminder.  My set is now programed to signal me when it's time to switch to TCM.  I am also interested to hear her comments.

Her choice of The Rose Tattoo is a surprise as that organization we have another thread on objected to parts of it on moral grounds  But then they also put a similar rating on 2 of her movies, Where the Boys Are  and Loving You.  I thought WTBA  made a good case for keeping your clothes on instead of casual canoodling; I've not seen Loving You in quite a while so I'll not comment on it.  Bring her on! 

I don't like the way Osborne seems to cut off a lot of her comments, with 'right right.'  Just let her speak.  

And he's showing off again with his knowledge about how many Oscar nods LAURA received and what they were for.  When he did some of that with Mel Brooks recently, Brooks just cut Osborne off and re-launched whatever story he was telling.  Unfortunately, Mother Dolores is too nice for that.

What a truly lovely treat.  Thank you, TCM.

I agree. Loved all of Dolores Hart's film picks and watched all of them. LISA and THE ROSE TATOO were the highlights for me, since neither film is shown that often.So glad that she picked LISA to be shown. It's been said it's her favorite of her screen performances. An important film.She gave a sensitive and tender performance as LISA, the Jewish survivor of the HORRORS of the Holocaust.

THE ROSE TATTOO was wonderful. Anna Magnani deserved that Oscar. Great performance, great material (no pun intended)

Dolores Hart's appearance was a special treat, truly a lovely woman. I'd love to see an hour interview with her, hope she returns to TCM for another chat. Thanks TCM for a Great viewing night :)

Dolores Hart's appearance was a special treat, truly a lovely woman. I'd love to see an hour interview with her, hope she returns to TCM for another chat. Thanks TCM for a Great viewing night :)

Yes, it would be nice to see her return for a Private Screenings piece-- where she can talk more in-depth about her days in Hollywood and some of her other films besides LISA (which I agree is a good one).

I loved her story about working with Anna Magnani, that was funny.  And how nice-- about the time Karl Malden called her and asked her to come back to the motion picture academy.  She also briefly mentioned Gary Cooper, but I do not think they did any films together-- so I would like to know more about her views of him.

I wish I could have stayed up to watch the whole night. I did record The Rose Tatoo to watch again, so at least I can hear her commentary on that one. Did she have much to say on the wrap ups of Laura and Song of Bernadette? Those were the only 2 segments I missed.

I had never seen Lisa, so glad she picked it. The only thing I didnt like about it was the ending. She still looks beautiful even in her (must be) 70s........

And I agree, it would be wonderful if RO could interview her for a Private Screenings, but they probably dont consider her a big enough star. :(

I watched the latter half of Lisa. I noted Mother Dolores Hart's remark that she wanted to marry Stephen Boyd. 

She tried to qualify that statement, but Osborne cut her off.  She was saying 'as an actress.'  And I considered that to mean as an actress, you want the happy ending (like for the characters to get married) and fade out as you embrace with the leading man.  I suppose we can read into it that she wanted to marry Boyd in real life, but I doubt that was her intention.  I don't think they were ever romantically involved, and if they were, I don't see her going on national television and indicating that, especially given her present vocation.  I guess we'll have to read the book to see if she mentions any costars she had romantic relationships with...has anyone picked up a copy of her book?

Well, she was a big enough star to be asked to be a guest programmer. :)

They seem to be very picky about who they choose for interviews with RO. Many lesser stars could've been featured and provided interesting interviews before they died.......

She tried to qualify that statement, but Osborne cut her off.  She was saying 'as an actress.'  And I considered that to mean as an actress, you want the happy ending (like for the characters to get married) and fade out as you embrace with the leading man.  I suppose we can read into it that she wanted to marry Boyd in real life, but I doubt that was her intention.  I don't think they were ever romantically involved, and if they were, I don't see her going on national television and indicating that, especially given her present vocation.  I guess we'll have to read the book to see if she mentions any costars she had romantic relationships with...has anyone picked up a copy of her book?

She wanted to marry Boyd, he rejected her, so she was driven to become a nun?

They seem to be very picky about who they choose for interviews with RO. Many lesser stars could've been featured and provided interesting interviews before they died.......

She did a terrific job.  One of the most interesting guest programmers they have featured.  I for one am extremely glad they asked her to be there.  Thank you, Dolores Hart!!

• Like 1

She wanted to marry Boyd, he rejected her, so she was driven to become a nun?

why would you jump to that conclusion? She never said she was romantically involved with Stephen Boyd or wanted to marry him. This is how misinformation on this bd. begins. She definitely made it clear that as characters in the film she and Stephen wanted the ending to be that the characters would marry. NOT in real life

why would you jump to that conclusion? She never said she was romantically involved with Stephen Boyd or wanted to marry him. This is how misinformation on this bd. begins. She definitely made it clear that as characters in the film she and Stephen wanted the ending to be that the characters would marry. NOT in real life

I'm saying this ENTIRELY tongue in cheek. Do I have to use one of these all the time? :)

I believe Dolores had a boyfriend at the time (not Boyd) who wasnt in the industry who was upset about her decision (Cant remember where I read this or heard it)...

On another track I was surprised to hear Patricia Neal was buried at the convent. Was she Catholic? I didnt think she was, but maybe she converted later in life....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings