Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

This brings to mind the years following 9-1-1. Every movie on cable and all TV shows (which I had seen) were edited to remove any visual reference to the Twin Towers. It was some time before they made their gradual reappearance. 

A moratorium.

This brings to mind the years following 9-1-1. Every movie on cable and all TV shows (which I had seen) were edited to remove any visual reference to the Twin Towers. It was some time before they made their gradual reappearance. 

A moratorium.

Love to seen how they pulled that one off with this.

King_kong_1976_movie_poster.jpg

Did they substitute it for the Daily Planet? <_<

A mermaid for Jessica Lange?  :lol:

Titano-Kong.jpg

Just about my favorite line from any movie comes from The Odd Couple  -  Oscar has had it and retreats to his bedroom, where he lays on his bed.. Felix has followed. Oscar begins listing all the things Felix does that irritate him..

I've told you 158 times I can't stand little notes on my pillow. "We're all out of cornflakes. F.U." Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

No Paper !

LOL! This story pops up every year here in Florida. These critters are all over the place. Every little pond and puddle here has it's 8 ft alligators - and you never know which bush, clump of grass, or crawlspace conceals one of these constrictors. They love our toilets.

vzgakz.jpg

Are any of you using flourescent replacements for the good ol' regular incandescent bulbs in your homes? You know, those curly screw-in jobs?

I'm trying a couple of them out - using the yellow light.. not the cool light. The cool light is a stark white-blue - - worse than the 4-foot office variety (yuk).

The light from these isn't as warm a yellow as regular light bulbs, but tolerable. I prefer that warm yellow glow of the incandescent. The only thing I dislike is, the bulbs seem to flicker at odd times - something to do with the internal ballast I suspect. I'm using mine in a table lamp with a 3-way bulb socket - this may also contribute to the flicker as it will only light on the second or third position.

Mostly, these just provide a slightly warm, pleasant, yellow light which saves electricity, but I have yet to use one which has outlasted the old incandescent variety. These cost more and burn out faster so what good is saving on electricity?

Are any of you using flourescent replacements for the good ol' regular incandescent bulbs in your homes? You know, those curly screw-in jobs?

I'm trying a couple of them out - using the yellow light.. not the cool light. The cool light is a stark white-blue - - worse than the 4-foot office variety (yuk).

The light from these isn't as warm a yellow as regular light bulbs, but tolerable. I prefer that warm yellow glow of the incandescent. The only thing I dislike is, the bulbs seem to flicker at odd times - something to do with the internal ballast I suspect. I'm using mine in a table lamp with a 3-way bulb socket - this may also contribute to the flicker as it will only light on the second or third position.

Mostly, these just provide a slightly warm, pleasant, yellow light which saves electricity, but I have yet to use one which has outlasted the old incandescent variety. These cost more and burn out faster so what good is saving on electricity?

I use the flourescent bulbs and some LED bulbs. You can get them both in the same warm incandescent "color." I agree, that cold, white, sterile light that some of them have is far too annoying.

The two things I don't like about the flourescent bulbs are: 1) they take a while to warm up and give off the right amount of light, especially when it's cold; and 2) most (not all) of them can't be used with a timer switch, a light sensing switch, or a rheostat (which excludes them from most ceiling fans). One way around the ceiling fan problem is if the fan has more than one bulb, you can include an incandescent bulb with the flourescent bulbs and that usually solves the problem, but at the same time, exludes the energy savings from at least one bulb.

vzgakz.jpg

The fluorescent bulb does have one advantage, I have a couple of the old outdoor Christmas lighted Santa and Snowman that uses 60 watts bulbs.  The headache is that strong winds knock them over killing the bulb.  The fluorescent is immune to the shock of being knock over.

il_570xN.487183431_7afq.jpg

The fluorescent bulb does have one advantage, I have a couple of the old outdoor Christmas lighted Santa and Snowman that uses 60 watts bulbs.  The headache is that strong winds knock them over killing the bulb.  The fluorescent is immune to the shock of being knock over.

I think you're supposed to fill these guys with water before you plug 'em in.

That'll keep 'em from blowin' over.

11smhko.jpg