Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

Kid Dabb

"Porridge" is an interesting dish.  We here in America usually just called it "Oatmeal".

In looking it up, some sources claim ANY cooked grain can be considered "porridge"! As long as it's crushed, I guess, which means, when you consider the way it comes in most CANS, that CREAMED CORN can also be considered "porridge".

I'm not really clear on it all, as "porridge" is only a word most American kids only came across in STORY BOOKS, or kid's stories, like THE THREE BEARS.

GRITS then, can ALSO technically, according to WIKI, be considered "porridge".  But, if you tried suggesting that to ANY southerner worth their salt, you'd be "run outa town"!

However, since I've mostly only hear or knew about grits from old movies( them Ma and Pa KETTLE kids ate 'em, didn't they?) or the SNUFFY SMITH comics, my actual introduction to grits came when vacationing to the Great Smoky Mountains with my parents in 1968.  Any restaraunt you stopped at for breakfast already had a little bowl of them on the table.

I asked the waitress, a very pleasant woman, after I apologized for my ignorance about them, just what GRITS were, and she explained where they came from (corn, it seems), and the various ways one can prepare and eat them.  Either hot, in a bowl with some sugar sprinkled on 'em and a "tetch" of "sweet milk"( which, I learned, was just REGULAR milk to us YANKEES!) as you would CREAM OF WHEAT, or, dab it aside of your eggs and bacon(or sausage), melt some butter in 'em, salt and pepper to taste, and dig in!

I first tried them as hot cereal, and later as the savory breakfast SIDE DISH, and preferred them as the latter!

But, not ONCE did she EVER refer to them as "PORRIDGE"!

And I've always thought of "porridge" as a fascinating word.

A funny aside-----My ex wife would always buy the "instant" oatmeal, and fix it for the kids for breakfast, and somehow ALWAYS fudge it up, and they never liked it. They claimed to NOT like OATMEAL---PERIOD!  No WAY!  No HOW!!!

Well, one weekend, my younger daughter spent the weekend at MY grandmother's house, and when she got back home, was HYPER in her enthusiasm for me to try and learn how to make something my Grandmother made her for BREAKFAST that morning!

"It's REALLY good!  You GOTTA try it, and find out how to MAKE it!

So, I asked her just WHAT this wonderful breakfast food WAS, and my daughter, in all enthusiastic innocence and naivete, blurted out---"Gramma Green called it---ROLLED OATS!"

OR, in other words-----OATMEAL!  :lol:

It all came back to me!  Grandma ALWAYS called it "rolled oats", and, she NEVER used the "Quick" oats( you know---the ones that cook in one minute?).  And, she ALWAYS served it thus---A huge heap in the middle of the bowl, sugar and cinnomon sprinkled on top, and a little milk poured in the bowl, but NEVER mixed up, as you'd take a bit in your spoon, THEN a bit of milk with it.

It was YEARS before I had the heart to tell my daughter "rolled oats" was really, just OATMEAL.

Sepiatone

The first time I had grits was at a Waffle House here in Florida. I went in for breakfast before work and the waitress just brought them with the meal. They were on a separate plate.

I tasted and liked them, but I couldn't eat the rest as they were served as a large puddle of melted butter with a dollop of grits and cheese floating in the center.

I am very sorry to inject sad note to this thread:

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer is dead at age 53. Over Barcelona today, the famed reindeer was hit by a flock of seagulls and a 747. Eyewitnesses report that the reindeer in Spain was hit mainly by the plane.

Oh SansFin, what a treasure you are as well as My Fair Lady. ????

I am very sorry to inject sad note to this thread:

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer is dead at age 53. Over Barcelona today, the famed reindeer was hit by a flock of seagulls and a 747. Eyewitnesses report that the reindeer in Spain was hit mainly by the plane.

Oh well, get it while it last.

santa_brand_reindeer_meat_by_valefar666-

• Like 1

I never ate grits as a kid, but practically every Sunday for dinner at my Italian grandmother's house, we had polenta...both dishes are similar in that corn meal is the principal ingredient, and you can dress it up in a variety of ways (cheese, marinara sauce, even maple syrup).

More on "porridge" (for those of you here seemingly of short attention span)

When looking "porridge" up online,WIKI informed me that porridge can also be made from chopped, milled or crushed LEGUMES, as well as grains.

Which then helps me make sense of the old ditty we used to use sometimes in place of "Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Moe",  Which went:

"Peas porridge hot;

Peas porridge cold;

Peas porridge in the pot;

Nine days old!"

Now, I have some idea of WHAT "peas porridge" WAS.

But, it STILL doesn't sound too appetizing!

Sepiatone

More on "porridge" (for those of you here seemingly of short attention span)

When looking "porridge" up online,WIKI informed me that porridge can also be made from chopped, milled or crushed LEGUMES, as well as grains.

Which then helps me make sense of the old ditty we used to use sometimes in place of "Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Moe",  Which went:

"Peas porridge hot;

Peas porridge cold;

Peas porridge in the pot;

Nine days old!"

Now, I have some idea of WHAT "peas porridge" WAS.

But, it STILL doesn't sound too appetizing!

Sepiatone

Peas Porridge Hot (Oat Risotto with Peas)

• 1tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/4cup finely diced onion
  • 1/2cup steel cut oats (not quick cook) or oat groats (coarsley chopped in food processor)
  • 2 1/2cups hot chicken stock
  • 1/2cup frozen peas
  • 1/2cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
  • 1/8cup heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper, if desired

• C_Oats.jpeg?1403275995

Yum....yum...yum...

THAT stuff DON'T exactly look OR sound all that appetizing!

I guess what deters me is the use of STEEL CUT OATS in the recipe. 

I once bought "steel cut" oats because the store I go to replaced the hot OAT BRAN cereal they used to carry with them.

So, I tried, and patiently waited the 20 minute! cook time, only to spoon in a mouthful of HOT GRAVEL that tasted and texture-wise made me think much of the STEEL that CUT the oats, also wound up IN the oats!

Not for me, sorry...

Sepiatone

THAT stuff DON'T exactly look OR sound all that appetizing!

I guess what deters me is the use of STEEL CUT OATS in the recipe. 

I once bought "steel cut" oats because the store I go to replaced the hot OAT BRAN cereal they used to carry with them.

So, I tried, and patiently waited the 20 minute! cook time, only to spoon in a mouthful of HOT GRAVEL that tasted and texture-wise made me think much of the STEEL that CUT the oats, also wound up IN the oats!

Not for me, sorry...

Sepiatone

No wonder, 20 minutes not nearly long enough (as you found out), it takes twice that time. I hardly bother any more, I get the organic rolled oats in the bulk section of WholeF...just a few minutes (but longer than quick oats which I don't care for)

No wonder, 20 minutes not nearly long enough (as you found out), it takes twice that time. I hardly bother any more, I get the organic rolled oats in the bulk section of WholeF...just a few minutes (but longer than quick oats which I don't care for)

Actually, Lafitte, the ONLY difference I've noticed between the two( old fashioned rolled oats, and the "quick oats") is the TIME factor!

And, I STILL kid my daughter about the "rolled oats" incident! :lol:

Oh, and 20 minutes was the time suggested on the "srteel cut" oats box. 

Sepiatone

I put my rolled oats through a blender until nearly a powder, which takes about 50-60 seconds to cook in a microwave (highly variable depending on how much liquid you add). You really have to be careful not to even slightly overheat this "groat" as it will become very similar to a very dense mortar or clay.

This is great with honey drizzled on top and some fresh blueberries mixed in before nuking. Walnuts help.