Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

"In My Life "

On 8/12/2018 at 8:05 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is this story about In My Life satire?   Because it is obvious that John wrote the 'A' section of the song and Paul the 'B' section.    It isn't just because they each sing the parts they wrote but the chord progressions.  

One doesn't need a rocket scientist to tell one that! 

is a song on Rubber Soul that John Lennon sings as a solo.

And I'm not a rocket scientist or guitarist-- and certainly not a mathematician--LOL

but I've known since 1966 that the song was written by John Lennon-- because it's characteristic of his personality and worldview.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, Gershwin fan said:

It's not satire. The guy in the article thinks the entire song was written by Lennon based on the mathematical model he used.

As Larry deduced I was confusing In My Life with A Day in the Life.      

As for In My Life;   Did Paul really say he wrote some of the chord progressions for the song?   That would surprise me.     The chord progression used in In My Life is a very standard 50's progression.   E.g. the basic 4 chords used are the exact same as in Mr. Postman.    A Fm, D, E.     Any Beatles fan knows John was really influenced by that style of music (which is why a lot of his post Beatles' work was doing covers of 50s tunes).

I.e. it has been my understanding for over 40 years that In My Life was a 90% + John only song.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:13 PM, LawrenceA said:

We aren't confusing "In My Life" with "A Day in the Life" are we? Were there A and B parts to "In My Life"?

As a veteran Beatlemaniac I do believe confusing a song from Rubber Soul with a song from Sergeant Pepper's is indeed a serious violation of the Abbey Road Act.

So Absolution can only be received by walking across Abbey Road four times barefoot while saying" Paul is not dead".

• Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45292028

Kalashnikov's CV-1 electric car touted as Russia's answer to Tesla

_103152011_hi048809907.jpg

Russian manufacturing firm Kalashnikov has wheeled out a retro-looking electric car it says will give Elon Musk's Tesla a run for its money.

The firm behind the famous AK-47 assault rifle presented the eggshell-blue prototype vehicle, the CV-1, at an event near the capital, Moscow.

It said the CV-1, inspired by a Soviet hatchback created in the 1970s, was a revolutionary cutting-edge "supercar".

Kalashnikov was earlier ridiculed over its new combat robot "little Igor".

The company said in a statement on Thursday that the CV-1 car featured a number of "complex systems" with technology that would "let us stand in the ranks of global electric car producers such as Tesla".

It added that, when fully developed, the car would have a top speed several times higher than current electric vehicles produced by its firm and would be able to travel 220 miles (350 km) on a single charge.

As it is an initial prototype, details such as the vehicle's price tag have not yet been disclosed.

• Confused 1
On 8/24/2018 at 10:41 AM, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45292028

Kalashnikov's CV-1 electric car touted as Russia's answer to Tesla

_103152011_hi048809907.jpg

Russian manufacturing firm Kalashnikov has wheeled out a retro-looking electric car it says will give Elon Musk's Tesla a run for its money.

The firm behind the famous AK-47 assault rifle presented the eggshell-blue prototype vehicle, the CV-1, at an event near the capital, Moscow.

It said the CV-1, inspired by a Soviet hatchback created in the 1970s, was a revolutionary cutting-edge "supercar".

Kalashnikov was earlier ridiculed over its new combat robot "little Igor".

The company said in a statement on Thursday that the CV-1 car featured a number of "complex systems" with technology that would "let us stand in the ranks of global electric car producers such as Tesla".

It added that, when fully developed, the car would have a top speed several times higher than current electric vehicles produced by its firm and would be able to travel 220 miles (350 km) on a single charge.

As it is an initial prototype, details such as the vehicle's price tag have not yet been disclosed.

Well the Russian version probably won't have a Tesla Coil in it, so what's behind it, a Marx Generator? http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx_generator

File:Jabalpur Engineering College (JEC)'s High Voltage Lab.jpg

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, jakeem said:

Today, retired @NASA_Langley mathematician Katherine Johnson makes her 100th trip around the Sun as she celebrates her birthday! Send her birthday wishes using #Happy100Katherine & learn about her calculations that launched @NASA_Astronauts to space ?: https://go.nasa.gov/Happy100Katherine 

Related image

And this woman made our space program possible.

So you see they were not all former Nazi Scientists, by a long shot, who put us on the moon.

• Like 1

Just watched "Secrets of the Lost - Hunt For Tut's Blood" (2018)  the skeleton (they call it a mummy...REALLY??) and it is  Akhenaten, and he is King Tut's father.  The ancient Egyptians went to a lot to trouble to totally obliterate Akhenaten from memory and history....they failed. Amenhotep III is King Tut's grandfather.

Amenhotep III

latest?cb=20170319032338

Akhenaten

dd48365539dc0854f4ec9d67c9194634.jpg

Only identified as KV 55 Younger Lady is King Tut's mother who died at childbirth.

(from laughing?? :P:lol:)

File_201021712418.jpg

Queen Kiya is his grandmother

tiye+-mummy2.jpg

• Like 1

https://jonathanturley.org/2018/08/25/florida-candidate-my-alien-abduction-does-not-define-me/

Florida Candidate: My Alien Abduction Does Not Define Me

This is not your usual campaign pitch.  Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera is running for the House of Representatives but most wants you to know that her long-standing account of being abducted by aliens really doesn’t define her.  It appears that the discussion of aliens in the campaign will remain in this solar system.

Rodriguez Aguilera is running for the seat vacated by retiring Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.

Rodriguez Aguilera claims that at age seven she was captured by aliens and taken up to a spaceship.  She describes the aliens as blond beings who strangely resembled the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro.  So these nordic Christ figures explained that the “center of the world’s energy is Africa.”  She further recounted how thousands of non-human skulls were once discovered in a cave on the Mediterranean island of Malta.  She claims that the experience left her with paranormal capabilities and that she encountered another UFO at seventeen.

Many voters likely view the tale as more abnormal than paranormal.  Nevertheless, The Herald announced in its Sunday editorial that they are endorsing her: “We realize that Rodriguez Aguilera is an unusual candidate but cited her “boots-on-the-ground ideas and experience” as being the daughter of a Cuban political prisoner as well as a former City Council member and a social worker.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-robotel-japan-hotel-staffed-robot.html

Robotel: Japan hotel staffed by robot dinosaurs

dinosaurrobo.jpg

Dinosaur robots wait to check in customers at the Henn na hotel

The reception at the Henn na Hotel east of Tokyo is eerily quiet until customers approach the robot dinosaurs manning the front desk. Their sensors detect the motion and they bellow "Welcome."

It might be about the weirdest check-in experience possible, but that's exactly the point at the Henn na (whose name means 'weird') chain, which bills itself as offering the world's first hotels staffed by robots.

The front desk staff are a pair of giant dinosaurs that look like cast members of the Jurassic Park movies, except for the tiny bellboy hats perched on their heads.

The robo-dinos process check-ins through a tablet system that also allows customers to choose which language—Japanese, English, Chinese or Korean—they want to use to communicate with the multilingual robots.

The effect is bizarre, with the large dinosaurs gesticulating with their long arms and issuing tinny set phrases. Yukio Nagai, manager at the Henn na Hotel Maihama Tokyo Bay, admits some customers find it slightly unnerving.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-08-robotel-japan-hotel-staffed-robot.html#jCp

This is just…weird. :unsure: 

• Haha 1