Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2213

Some may fear this word

A Language Log reader named metanea points out to us that the Urban Dictionary claims aibohphobia is a technical term for the irrational fear of palindromicity. The etymology will raise a smile. Just stare at the word for a few seconds, and it will reveal itself to you. ;) :lol: 

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2213

Some may fear this word

A Language Log reader named metanea points out to us that the Urban Dictionary claims aibohphobia is a technical term for the irrational fear of palindromicity. The etymology will raise a smile. Just stare at the word for a few seconds, and it will reveal itself to you. ;) :lol: 

Actually I don't have fear of them just confusion. :blink::P

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/german-skeletons-hint-medieval-warrior-groups-recruited-afar?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=latest-newsletter-v2

German skeletons hint that medieval warrior groups recruited from afar

DNA analyses of European graveyard finds are shedding new light on the Frankish Empire

Power systems transcended kinship in medieval Europe. A burial site in southern Germany contains members of a powerful warrior family who journeyed widely to find recruits to join the household and support a post-Roman kingdom, a new study suggests.

Thirteen individuals interred at Niederstotzingen belonged to the Alemanni, a confederation of Germanic tribes that were conquered by and integrated into a neighboring kingdom of the Frankish people starting around 1,400 years ago, researchers say. Excavations in 1962 revealed the bodies, which the team estimates were buried from roughly 580 to 630, along with various weapons, armor, jewelry, bridle gear and the remains of three horses.

DNA extracted from the German skeletons identified 11 as probably males, biomolecular archaeologist Niall O’Sullivan of Eurac Research’s Institute for Mummy Studies in Bolzano, Italy, and colleagues report online September 5 in Science Advances. Six skeletons displayed genetic ties to modern northern and eastern Europeans. All but one of those six were closely related, including a father and two of his sons. Chemical analyses of tooth enamel, which provides regional signals of early childhood diet, indicated that these individuals grew up near Niederstotzingen.

Artifacts from three foreign medieval European cultures lay in the graves of four local males. Weapons and other objects typical of the Franks accompanied one man — the previously mentioned father — who may have headed the power household, the researchers suspect.

Another three individuals buried at the site were genetically unrelated to anyone else. Two possessed DNA like that of present-day Mediterranean people. All had spent their childhoods in other regions, tooth data suggest.

The new results support previous suggestions that, shortly after the Roman Empire’s fall in the fifth century (SN: 4/29/17, p. 18), the Frankish Empire maintained power throughout central Europe for several centuries by establishing mobile, warrior households that enforced obedience to the ruler.

• Like 1
On 9/9/2018 at 6:36 PM, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/german-skeletons-hint-medieval-warrior-groups-recruited-afar?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=latest-newsletter-v2

German skeletons hint that medieval warrior groups recruited from afar

DNA analyses of European graveyard finds are shedding new light on the Frankish Empire

Power systems transcended kinship in medieval Europe. A burial site in southern Germany contains members of a powerful warrior family who journeyed widely to find recruits to join the household and support a post-Roman kingdom, a new study suggests.

Thirteen individuals interred at Niederstotzingen belonged to the Alemanni, a confederation of Germanic tribes that were conquered by and integrated into a neighboring kingdom of the Frankish people starting around 1,400 years ago, researchers say. Excavations in 1962 revealed the bodies, which the team estimates were buried from roughly 580 to 630, along with various weapons, armor, jewelry, bridle gear and the remains of three horses.

DNA extracted from the German skeletons identified 11 as probably males, biomolecular archaeologist Niall O’Sullivan of Eurac Research’s Institute for Mummy Studies in Bolzano, Italy, and colleagues report online September 5 in Science Advances. Six skeletons displayed genetic ties to modern northern and eastern Europeans. All but one of those six were closely related, including a father and two of his sons. Chemical analyses of tooth enamel, which provides regional signals of early childhood diet, indicated that these individuals grew up near Niederstotzingen.

Artifacts from three foreign medieval European cultures lay in the graves of four local males. Weapons and other objects typical of the Franks accompanied one man — the previously mentioned father — who may have headed the power household, the researchers suspect.

Another three individuals buried at the site were genetically unrelated to anyone else. Two possessed DNA like that of present-day Mediterranean people. All had spent their childhoods in other regions, tooth data suggest.

The new results support previous suggestions that, shortly after the Roman Empire’s fall in the fifth century (SN: 4/29/17, p. 18), the Frankish Empire maintained power throughout central Europe for several centuries by establishing mobile, warrior households that enforced obedience to the ruler.

Must be those Aryan ancestors the Nazi's were looking for.

I have kept up with all questions regarding schedules, etc., so I ask, is there a way to access future schedules. I should know more about this but I haven't had TCM for awhile and am considering getting it. I would like to know what's coming up to help me decide. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, laffite said:

I have kept up with all questions regarding schedules, etc., so I ask, is there a way to access future schedules. I should know more about this but I haven't had TCM for awhile and am considering getting it. I would like to know what's coming up to help me decide. Thanks.

Do you know how to access the schedule? Look at the top of your screen.You'll see the word "schedule" in between "Watch TCM" and "Month Highlights". When you click on "Schedule", that brings up the grid schedule for the day. You can click from day to day, or use the drop-down month calendar to pick a specific day. You can also choose to view an entire week's schedule rather than just a day's schedule by clicking where it says "weekly". The schedule has only been posted through November, with December's schedule expected any day now.

If that all seems too complicated, look for the monthly schedule threads in the General Discussions section. They each start out with links to each week's schedule for that month.

Edit: here are the monthly threads:

September:http://forums.tcm.com/topic/186193-september-2018-schedule-now-available/?tab=comments#comment-1733986

October:http://forums.tcm.com/topic/201175-october-2018-schedule-is-up/?tab=comments#comment-1782463

November:http://forums.tcm.com/topic/256533-november-2018-schedule-is-up/?tab=comments#comment-1875149

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Do you know how to access the schedule? Look at the top of your screen.You'll see the word "schedule" in between "Watch TCM" and "Month Highlights". When you click on "Schedule", that brings up the grid schedule for the day. You can click from day to day, or use the drop-down month calendar to pick a specific day. You can also choose to view an entire week's schedule rather than just a day's schedule by clicking where it says "weekly". The schedule has only been posted through November, with December's schedule expected any day now.

If that all seems too complicated, look for the monthly schedule threads in the General Discussions section. They each start out with links to each week's schedule for that month.

Edit: here are the monthly threads:

September:http://forums.tcm.com/topic/186193-september-2018-schedule-now-available/?tab=comments#comment-1733986

October:http://forums.tcm.com/topic/201175-october-2018-schedule-is-up/?tab=comments#comment-1782463

November:http://forums.tcm.com/topic/256533-november-2018-schedule-is-up/?tab=comments#comment-1875149

Thanks for the links. Of course I knew about the top of the page. Some time ago they had link to see upcoming schedules, usually a couple months ahead, not just the current one. No more, right? I've bookmarked your page. 

2 hours ago, laffite said:

Thanks for the links. Of course I knew about the top of the page. Some time ago they had link to see upcoming schedules, usually a couple months ahead, not just the current one. No more, right? I've bookmarked your page. 

I tried to explain how to look at the October and November schedules, as well as posted links to said schedules. I'm not sure what else you're looking for. That's as far into the future as they go. As I also mentioned, December's schedule should be posted in the next week or two, and I'm sure someone will make a thread about that one with links, as well.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I tried to explain how to look at the October and November schedules, as well as posted links to said schedules. I'm not sure what else you're looking for. That's as far into the future as they go. As I also mentioned, December's schedule should be posted in the next week or two, and I'm sure someone will make a thread about that one with links, as well.

Kindly don't talk down to me.You explained how to look at September but that's all. Unless I am misunderstanding something, your first paragraph above is wrong. You imply that October and November can be found there, that is, on the SCHEDULE heading above. I see only September. If I am wrong about that, then so be it, but I did not see a way to access Oct and Nov from there. That was what prompted my original question. I asked that same question in my second post which you must have ignored or didn't understand which is surprising, Lawrence, because it was not complicated. As I said before, I appreciate your links, but it would be nice to know if the monthly format that we have for September, is also available for Oct and Nov, now (as you implied). 

12 hours ago, laffite said:

Kindly don't talk down to me.You explained how to look at September but that's all. Unless I am misunderstanding something, your first paragraph above is wrong. You imply that October and November can be found there, that is, on the SCHEDULE heading above. I see only September. If I am wrong about that, then so be it, but I did not see a way to access Oct and Nov from there. That was what prompted my original question. I asked that same question in my second post which you must have ignored or didn't understand which is surprising, Lawrence, because it was not complicated. As I said before, I appreciate your links, but it would be nice to know if the monthly format that we have for September, is also available for Oct and Nov, now (as you implied). 

You can see October and November's schedules on the "Schedule" tab provided above.. I'll try this again, going into more detail.

1. Click the "Schedule" up above.
  2. You are now looking at the "Daily Schedule".
  3. Just above the day's listings, you'll see a "search" bar. To the right of that, you'll see "Day/Month". To the right of that, you'll see the date listed, with a small triangle/arrowhead pointing down. 
  4. If you click on said triangle/arrowhead, a drop-down calendar will appear.
  5. Click on any of the dates shown to see that day's listings.
  6. Click the arrow pointing to the right at the top of the calendar, beside "September", to switch to the next month.

Another option is to go to the "Schedule" screen above, and then at the bottom of that day's listings, you'll see an arrow pointing to the right that says "Next Day" beside it. You can click that arrow to go day to day all the way through November 30th.

I also previously provided links to both October and November's weekly schedules.

Hopefully this further-detailed information helps. If not, my apologies, as I tried. I've enjoyed our chat.

6 hours ago, laffite said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsC02L4-J8

I cannot embed due to youtube instructions. Not sure it will work at all. Anyway, this shows a small plane landing cockpit view. This is not a crash, though judging from the final frames, this pilot must be a novice. If it's a dead link, it might work cut and paste.

Works fine for me.

In this video, it's a MIRACLE the planes on the cover frame and at the 4:25 time frame didn't stall and crash! :o

The History Channel in a documentary rated the San Diego airport as the #10 most difficult for landing. The runway is in a bowl-like valley adjacent to the Downtown area. And if that's not bad enough there is an airport parking building that the airplane must clear (not visible in this video) which compromises the ideal trajectory they should have. Instead, after clearing the building they are right on the runway and have to 'get down' fast.

"An instrument landing system (ILS) enables pilots to conduct an instrument approach to landing if they are unable to establish visual contact with the runway"---Wiki.  You can't do that in San Diego.