Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy


Recommended Posts

On 9/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, laffite said:

Anyway, this shows a small plane landing cockpit view. This is not a crash, though judging from the final frames, this pilot must be a novice. 

That looked like a typical small plane landing to me. I thought I heard the tower request the pilot to take the plane to the grass once down. Was there a landing emergency?

The only thing out of the ordinary (but it may just be the angle) is the proper way is to land your rear wheels first, then touch the nose.

And I can't STAND that MyPillow guy- his c o c k broom mustache, polyester shirt and creepy bling cross he wears just makes him look like some kind of Priest Pimp.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

That looked like a typical small plane landing to me. I thought I heard the tower request the pilot to take the plane to the grass once down. Was there a landing emergency?

The only thing out of the ordinary (but it may just be the angle) is the proper way is to land your rear wheels first, then touch the nose.

And I can't STAND that MyPillow guy- his c o c k broom mustache, polyester shirt and creepy bling cross he wears just makes him look like some kind of Priest Pimp.

You have good hearing, yes he had the pilot do that, I missed it. Probably not an emergency, however traffic was probably just heavy at that moment they needed to make room. This was part of the arrival of small aircraft to an enormous air show in Oshkosh in 2017 upon which 10,000 airplanes descended over a week's time. And I do think it was the angle. Or perhaps there is no front wheel, just the two and one in the rear.

Here is another video which reveals a little more about the air show. And we see another approach and landing. This is time there is much
ATC-Cockpit transmissions, some of it confusing. The ATC is barking at more than one plane (I believe) as they are apparently lined up for landing. The cockpit that we are in seems to talk to him at times but at other times talks over the ATC as if talking with someone else, perhaps another ATC that we cannot hear. Maybe you can figure it out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/japan-has-attempted-to-land-two-tiny-rovers-on-a-distant-asteroid/

Two Japanese robots are now happily hopping on an asteroid [Updated]

ryugu-800x627.jpg

Each rover weighs about a kilogram and will bounce across the asteroid's surface.

Saturday update: More than 24 hours after they were released by the Hayabusa2 spacecraft to fly down to the surface of the asteroid Ryugu, the Japanese Space Agency has finally provided an update on the fate of the two tiny robots. And they're doing quite well indeed.

"We are sorry we have kept you waiting!" the space agency, JAXA, tweeted. "MINERVA-II1 consists of two rovers, 1a & 1b. Both rovers are confirmed to have landed on the surface of Ryugu. They are in good condition and have transmitted photos & data. We also confirmed they are moving on the surface."

Then, the rovers shared some pictures, including these two.

Photo taken by Rover-1B on Sept 21 at ~13:07 JST. It was captured just after separation from the spacecraft. Ryugu's surface is in the lower right. The misty top left region is due to the reflection of sunlight. 1B seems to rotate slowly after separation, minimising image blur. pic.twitter.com/P71gsC9VNI

View image on Twitter
 

This dynamic photo was captured by Rover-1A on September 22 at around 11:44 JST. It was taken on Ryugu's surface during a hop. The left-half is the surface of Ryugu, while the white region on the right is due to sunlight. (Hayabusa2 Project) pic.twitter.com/IQLsFd4gJu

View image on Twitter
 
 

Just knowing that two tiny robots are now hopping merrily around an asteroid with almost no gravity makes our own world seem a little bit merrier.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/japan-has-attempted-to-land-two-tiny-rovers-on-a-distant-asteroid/

Two Japanese robots are now happily hopping on an asteroid [Updated]

ryugu-800x627.jpg

Each rover weighs about a kilogram and will bounce across the asteroid's surface.

Saturday update: More than 24 hours after they were released by the Hayabusa2 spacecraft to fly down to the surface of the asteroid Ryugu, the Japanese Space Agency has finally provided an update on the fate of the two tiny robots. And they're doing quite well indeed.

"We are sorry we have kept you waiting!" the space agency, JAXA, tweeted. "MINERVA-II1 consists of two rovers, 1a & 1b. Both rovers are confirmed to have landed on the surface of Ryugu. They are in good condition and have transmitted photos & data. We also confirmed they are moving on the surface."

Then, the rovers shared some pictures, including these two.

Photo taken by Rover-1B on Sept 21 at ~13:07 JST. It was captured just after separation from the spacecraft. Ryugu's surface is in the lower right. The misty top left region is due to the reflection of sunlight. 1B seems to rotate slowly after separation, minimising image blur. pic.twitter.com/P71gsC9VNI

View image on Twitter
 

This dynamic photo was captured by Rover-1A on September 22 at around 11:44 JST. It was taken on Ryugu's surface during a hop. The left-half is the surface of Ryugu, while the white region on the right is due to sunlight. (Hayabusa2 Project) pic.twitter.com/IQLsFd4gJu

View image on Twitter
 
 

Just knowing that two tiny robots are now hopping merrily around an asteroid with almost no gravity makes our own world seem a little bit merrier.

That looks about like the image quality my made-for-Home-Depot Milwaukee boroscope sometimes delivers, usually while trying to focus on a shiny surface up close in the dark (such as something metallic with writing).  It has four little LED "headlights" around the camera element on the front - all on the same plane.  Maybe the next model could make use of the large annular side-surface for more LED lights, many powerful bright ones, to allow for diffuse lighting.  Free upgrade for registered users, or upgrade for a nominal fee would be nice.  Maybe I should send them an email instead of just posting it here.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother monitors a US satellite that orbits the sun. Once when visiting him, he got a call alerting him to unusual flare activity and from home he closed all the satellite's apparatus into itself for protection-like a turtle in it's shell!

My friends have a successful animation studio, Animation. I love their intro video: https://youtu.be/naWR3W6rqNg

(sorry, apparently I don't know how to imbed videos. I read the tutorial, but don't get the "BBcode" option for imbedding)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just copied one of my old VHS to DVD, video taken 1988 in the basement of my old theatre. These are VLC snapshots.

A 1937 air conditioning unit - there are 2 (one in the rear out of view).  Sorry for the poor quality, had limited lighting.

Each units has 2 compressor heads left and right of motor. The flywheels and belts are huge.

2w3ckki.png

25kpopv.png

 

Heat exchanger, it uses water from a well instead of air.

6zoadf.png

 

Freon tank 

rwubvc.png

Edited by hamradio
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Surely your being sarcastic.

All this stuff was in a newspaper article soon after the assassination. ?

Yes I was. I've heard variations on this theme for the last forty years. Not that it isn't

interesting and certainly more spooky than most series of coincidences, though I don't

see anything supernatural about it. Some folks tried to do something similar pairing

Obama and Hitler, but they made a lot of mistakes in their comparisons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yes I was. I've heard variations on this theme for the last forty years. Not that it isn't

interesting and certainly more spooky than most series of coincidences, though I don't

see anything supernatural about it. Some folks tried to do something similar pairing

Obama and Hitler, but they made a lot of mistakes in their comparisons.

Like people thought they were the best thing since slice bread when coming to office? :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Like people thought they were the best thing since slice bread when coming to office? :P

Another right wing fail. I don't recall the details but much of it was based on rather basic

historical errors that were pretty easy to discover. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yes I was. I've heard variations on this theme for the last forty years. Not that it isn't

interesting and certainly more spooky than most series of coincidences, though I don't

see anything supernatural about it. Some folks tried to do something similar pairing

Obama and Hitler, but they made a lot of mistakes in their comparisons.

I bet we could make one between Twump and a Horses A$$.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across another of those "May / December" relationships...

dating-older-man-going-through-divorce-4

 

...sad if it's the perfect thing one's been looking for.  (not enough years left)

Think the "Bluebird" fairy tale is true in that respect.

Will be born too late.

BB-Frame05a-lovers.jpg

 

Edited by hamradio
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...