Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

This is the kind of stuff that got me hooked on classic films - Thank You TCM!

:)

I recorded The Perfect Gentleman from today's lineup because Cicely Courtneidge (1893-1980) is in it. As an older woman, she played Mavis, the lesbian with the cat, in The L-Shaped Room. I liked her so much in that film that I went to see a play she was in -- Move Over Mrs. Markham. She was quite a famous actress/singer in her early days, during which The Perfect Gentleman was filmed.

• Like 1

Anybody here got a day job?

Well, I have several.....

Scheduled: cashier at farm supply store

Mornings I don't work at store: clean 18 stalls between 8am-noon

Rest of the time: work in my own restoration shop

(my arms are JACKED)

I'm only on the computer between 5am and 8am to send invoices, research, buy "parts" and peruse this board

Anybody here got a day job?

Well, I have several.....

Scheduled: cashier at farm supply store

Mornings I don't work at store: clean 18 stalls between 8am-noon

Rest of the time: work in my own restoration shop

(my arms are JACKED)

I'm only on the computer between 5am and 8am to send invoices, research, buy "parts" and peruse this board

I'm impressed!

B)

I notice Jim Kelly is in a movie on tonight's schedule that I have yet to see - Black Belt Jones (1974). I have seen Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon (1973) in which Jim Kelly co-starred - the only film of Mr. Kelly's I have seen.

Until just a few minutes ago, I had no idea Mr. Kelly had died. When I saw his name on the TCM schedule, I immediately recognized it and began Googling... R.I.P. Jim Kelly

From: rollingout.com - obituaries - July 1, 2013 8:10 AM - By Terry Shropshire

Jim Kelly of ‘Enter the Dragon’ fame dead at 67

2ngu8ia.jpg

Actor and martial artist Jim Kelly, who played in perhaps one of the most beloved martial arts movie of all time, "Enter the Dragon", opposite Bruce Lee, has died in San Diego. He was 67.

Kelly’s ex-wife Marilyn Dishman said he died Saturday of cancer at his home.

Kelly came to fame in the early 1970s with his signature Afro hairstyle and prominent sideburns. Kelly scored with audiences with his one-liners and fight scenes in the 1973 martial arts classic. Kelly later starred in such films that leveraged his martial arts mastery, including "Three the Hard Way", "Black Belt Jones" and "Black Samurai".

During a 2010 interview with salon.com, Kelly said he started studying martial arts in 1964 in Kentucky and later moved to Southern California where he earned a black belt in karate. He said he set his sights on becoming an actor after winning karate tournaments. Kelly also played college football.

The role of a lifetime, Bruce Lee’s "Enter the Dragon", was his second. He had about a dozen film roles in the 1970s before his acting work tapered off.

25pk5r5.jpg

In recent years, Kelly still managed to attract long lines of autograph seekers at comic book conventions despite the fact that his heyday was four decades ago. He looked back on those days fondly, particularly the movie that made him famous.

"One of the best experiences in my life was working on "Enter the Dragon". Bruce was just incredible, absolutely fantastic. I learned so much from working with him. I probably enjoyed working with Bruce more than anyone else I’d ever worked with in movies because we were both martial artists. He was a great, great martial artist. It was a very good time."

More HERE

20gehr9.jpg

I notice Jim Kelly is in a movie on tonight's schedule that I have yet to see - Black Belt Jones (1974). I have seen Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon (1973) in which Jim Kelly co-starred - the only film of Mr. Kelly's I have seen.

Until just a few minutes ago, I had no idea Mr. Kelly had died. When I saw his name on the TCM schedule, I immediately recognized it and began Googling... R.I.P. Jim Kelly

From: rollingout.com - obituaries - July 1, 2013 8:10 AM - By Terry Shropshire

Jim Kelly of ‘Enter the Dragon’ fame dead at 67

Actor and martial artist Jim Kelly, who played in perhaps one of the most beloved martial arts movie of all time, "Enter the Dragon", opposite Bruce Lee, has died in San Diego. He was 67.

Kelly’s ex-wife Marilyn Dishman said he died Saturday of cancer at his home.

Kelly came to fame in the early 1970s with his signature Afro hairstyle and prominent sideburns. Kelly scored with audiences with his one-liners and fight scenes in the 1973 martial arts classic. Kelly later starred in such films that leveraged his martial arts mastery, including "Three the Hard Way", "Black Belt Jones" and "Black Samurai".

During a 2010 interview with salon.com, Kelly said he started studying martial arts in 1964 in Kentucky and later moved to Southern California where he earned a black belt in karate. He said he set his sights on becoming an actor after winning karate tournaments. Kelly also played college football.

The role of a lifetime, Bruce Lee’s "Enter the Dragon", was his second. He had about a dozen film roles in the 1970s before his acting work tapered off.

In recent years, Kelly still managed to attract long lines of autograph seekers at comic book conventions despite the fact that his heyday was four decades ago. He looked back on those days fondly, particularly the movie that made him famous.

"One of the best experiences in my life was working on "Enter the Dragon". Bruce was just incredible, absolutely fantastic. I learned so much from working with him. I probably enjoyed working with Bruce more than anyone else I’d ever worked with in movies because we were both martial artists. He was a great, great martial artist. It was a very good time."

I also saw Black Belt Jones last night (watched it when MOVIES-TV had commercials while showing the noir The Dark Corner) and I wondered if the film was show related to his very recent death or if it had been scheduled for months.    While I assume the latter,  the timing is rather eerie.    (e.g. how often does TCM show a movie Kelly is in (I assume almost never) and it just happens to be a few days after his death).

I also saw Black Belt Jones last night (watched it when MOVIES-TV had commercials while showing the noir The Dark Corner) and I wondered if the film was show related to his very recent death or if it had been scheduled for months.    While I assume the latter,  the timing is rather eerie.    (e.g. how often does TCM show a movie Kelly is in (I assume almost never) and it just happens to be a few days after his death).

Oh no, james. You have it backwards. This obit was two years ago.  I recognized Jim from Enter the Dragon and wondered what he was up to... that's when I found he had died in 2013.

Oh no, james. You have it backwards. This obit was two years ago.  I recognized Jim from Enter the Dragon and wondered what he was up to... that's when I found he had died in 2013.

Yes,  I see that I didn't read the fine print in the prior post of when he actually died.   Thanks for the update.    Oh well,  can't take back all those toasts I made last night in his honor.     ;)

• Like 1

I recorded The Perfect Gentleman from today's lineup because Cicely Courtneidge (1893-1980) is in it. As an older woman, she played Mavis, the lesbian with the cat, in The L-Shaped Room. I liked her so much in that film that I went to see a play she was in -- Move Over Mrs. Markham. She was quite a famous actress/singer in her early days, during which The Perfect Gentleman was filmed.

Yes, I remember the line. When the light dawned on the young woman (what's her name?), the older woman recognized the light in the other and says, "Well, it takes all kinds." Boy times have changed.

21owt9x.jpg

Peter Jackson penned a lovely farewell to Sir Christopher Lee

11 hours ago by: Kevin Fraser

This morning we learned that a giant of cinema was no longer with us; Sir Christopher Lee passed away on Sunday at the age of 93. Lee had appeared in countless films, including five of the six films in Peter Jackson's Middle-Earth saga. Lee was a long-time fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-Earth books and when he heard that "The Lord of The Rings" was going to become a series of films, he knew that he had to be a part of it.

The rest, as we say, is history; Christopher Lee gave us a magnificent and sinister Saruman and gained a generation of new fans as a result. Over the filming of THE LORD OF THE RINGS Christopher Lee become good friends with Peter Jackson and the director just wrote a lovely farewell to the great actor on Facebook:

It is with tremendous sadness that I learnt of the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. He was 93 years old, had not been in his usual good health for some time, but his spirit remained, as always, indomitable.
Christopher spoke seven languages; he was in every sense, a man of the world; well versed in art, politics, literature, history and science. He was scholar, a singer, an extraordinary raconteur and of course, a marvelous actor. One of my favourite things to do whenever I came to London would be to visit with Christopher and Gitte where he would regale me for hours with stories about his extraordinary life. I loved to listen to them and he loved to tell them - they were made all the more compelling because they were true - stories from his time with the SAS, through the Second World War, to the Hammer Horror years and later, his work with Tim Burton - of which he was enormously proud.

I was lucky enough to work with Chris on five films all told and it never ceased to be a thrill to see him on set. I remember him saying on my 40th Birthday (he was 80 at the time), “You’re half the man I am”.  Being half the man Christopher Lee is, is more than I could ever hope for. He was a true gentleman, in an era that no longer values gentleman.

I grew up loving Christopher Lee movies. For most of my life I was enthralled by the great iconic roles he not only created - but continued to own decades later. But somewhere along the way Christopher Lee suddenly, and magically, dissolved away and he became my friend, Chris.  And I loved Chris even more.

There will never be another Christopher Lee. He has a unique place in the history of cinema and in the hearts of millions of fans around the world.

The world will be a lesser place without him in it.

My deepest sympathies to Gitte and to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Chris.

An icon of cinema has passed into legend.
  • Like 1

The Bilderberg Group is having their meeting in this hotel in Austria.  

Sure is a L-O-T of security for people that critics says don't exist. :huh:

Dang, ham! It's like right out of a James Bond novel. On Her Majesty's Secret Service comes to mind.

• Like 1