Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

The Fab Four are coming to my local Center. Pit/Orchestra seats are only 42.00 if I buy now - the show is March 16, 2016.. I'm thinkin' hard about this one.

I saw Beatlemania at the Warner Theater in Washington, D.C. in 1978 and all the players were behind see-through fabric sheets hung at various distances and angles from front to back of the stage - except for when "Paul" sat at the front edge of center stage to do Yesterday. Those sheets were used as screens for projected images. They also blocked any flash photography as they became opaque when the light hit them. These sheets also had the effect of softening the appearance of the players, which made it easier to imagine them being The Beatles.

The Fab Four don't use sheets. Their faces don't look exactly like The Beatles' but their performances and costumes do (from what I've seen of their PBS TV Special presentation).

dhkj5oH.jpg

Censorship, profit, and art

Despite his monetary success, however, (Ben) Hecht always kept Hollywood at arm's length. According to film historian Gregory Black, "he did not consider his work for the movies serious art; it was more a means of replenishing his bank account. When his work was finished, he retreated to New York."

At least part of the reason for this was due to the industry's system of censorship. Black writes, "as Mankiewicz, Selznick, and Hecht knew all too well, much of the blame for the failure of the movies to deal more frankly and honestly with life, lay with a rigid censorship imposed on the industry . . . [and] on the content of films during its golden era of studio production." Because the costs of production and distribution were so high, the primary "goal of the studios was profit, not art. . .[and] fearful of losing any segment of their audiences, the studios either carefully avoided controversial topics or presented them in a way that evaded larger issues," thereby creating only 'harmless entertainment' ".

According to historian David Thomson, "to their own minds, Herman Mankiewicz and Ben Hecht both died morose and frustrated. Neither of them had written the great books they believed possible."

Learned something interesting, Elsie Fisher who is the voice of Agnes in "Despicable Me" did the English edited versions of "Masha And The Bear".  Glad it's not videos within a decorative frame.  Animaccord Studios (Russia) just released Episode 51 in English.

movie6despgirls.jpg

elsie-fisher-pengisi-suara-masha-bahasa-

Edited by hamradio

"LONDON — The graffiti artist Banksy has unveiled his latest exhibition, a haunted, anti-theme park called “Dismaland,” featuring his art and works by about 60 other artists."

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/20/banksys-latest-dismaland-theme-park/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/arts/banksy-dismaland-art-exhibition/

dismaland-peek.jpg

I saw her mentioned in another post here so I looked her up. What an unfortunate life.

The once-promising career of Barbara Payton slid down the sewer of skid row in Los Angeles. Her descent was so horrifying that it garnered her a different kind of fame – one that the likes of Lindsey Lohan are replaying for the public today. But unlike LiLo, Barbara would not get any second, third or fourth chances. Her last gasp was a tell-all memoir that was ghost-written and for which Barbara would only get $1,000 in drinking money. And drink she did.

uVQLW06.jpg

The paperback was a big seller, depicting how a beautiful young woman who had the world by the tail one minute, descends into depraved alcoholism and is forced to prostitute herself on the very street she once imagined having her Star on the Walk of Fame. To top it off, Barbara was portrayed as remorseless, seemingly determined at every turn to self-destruct even while denying that her acting career was over.