Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

When I was growing up, television was a wonder. I could, and would, watch anything on any channel (there were only 4 or 5, counting UHF). When we got our first color tv, everything was exciting and special, including commercials. 

There were many variety shows with lots of dancing and musical entertainment. Way back when, I couldn't get enough of these shows. I liked all of them. My favorites were Andy Williams, Perry Como, Dean Martin... 

GetTV has aquired several variety shows from back in the day and I have tried to get back into them - no dice. I don't know why, I'm no longer entertained or interested. Maybe because the excitement of being new and different has evaporated. The best I can do is to watch the old Dick Cavett and Carol Burnett Shows. These still hold my interest and entertain me, especially Cavett. Most of his shows have eluded me so I'm being impressed for the first time with many of those.

Just can't bring back the magic.

:)

• Like 1

When I was growing up, television was a wonder. I could, and would, watch anything on any channel (there were only 4 or 5, counting UHF). When we got our first color tv, everything was exciting and special, including commercials. 

There were many variety shows with lots of dancing and musical entertainment. Way back when, I couldn't get enough of these shows. I liked all of them. My favorites were Andy Williams, Perry Como, Dean Martin... 

GetTV has aquired several variety shows from back in the day and I have tried to get back into them - no dice. I don't know why, I'm no longer entertained or interested . Maybe because the excitement of being new and different has evaporated. The best I can do is to watch the old Dick Cavett and Carol Burnett Shows. These still hold my interest and entertain me, especially Cavett. Most of his shows have eluded me so I'm being impressed for the first time with many of those.

Just can't bring back the magic.
:)

The last "magical" (more stunned) thing I've experienced was the vivid color, clarity and stereo of my first videodisc player.  Funny in that my first HD television didn't impress me as much. oh well.

You are correct in that history will be hard to repeat.

The wonder of it all!.....

141113-vintage-television-photos-03.jpg?

...along with the early drawbacks.

paik.jpg

Lets not forget the first videotape machines 

Ampex.jpg

and television satellite.

telstar-1.jpg.jpg?1342040992

• Like 2

Doubles as a fiery UFO.  :lol:

st_helens_ufo-300x213.jpg

Kidding aside, the object is an aircraft, heading away from the viewer with contrails at a unique angle to the sun. :)

Now ham! How do you know that those aren't "CHEMtrails"???

'Cause I have a neighbor who'd SWEAR that THAT is what that would be!

(...of course then again, my paranoid neighbor ALSO believes in about ANOTHER 20 or so conspiracy theories TOO, ya know...AND heaven forbid you ever get him started on the subject of "who REALLY brought down the Twin Towers"!!!)

LOL

Now ham! How do you know that those aren't "CHEMtrails"???

'Cause I have a neighbor who'd SWEAR that THAT is what that would be!

(...of course then again, my paranoid neighbor ALSO believes in about ANOTHER 20 or so conspiracy theories TOO, ya know...AND heaven forbid you ever get him started on the subject of "who REALLY brought down the Twin Towers"!!!)

LOL

There are some contrails that leaves people to  wonder

(nothing sinister though)

Rainbow

rainbow-contrail.jpg

Missile

e6c1fd0be04c6f212afa23ecf4364ba6.jpg

Maybe pulse detonation engine PDE experiments.

23A34C3200000578-2855795-image-3_1417449

B2 bomber 

b-2-contrail.jpg

Your second picture of the Missile trail reminds me of all the times I could see such a thing from the L.A. area after they'd fire one off from Vandenberg AFB in the early evening.

Some Rainbows

How brilliant!!

rainbow_saturated.jpg.CROP.original-orig

Some people think whenever they see a rainbow, the storm is over.  Deadly conclusion. (Weather Channel mentioned this)

rainbow-lightning-together-one-photo-gre

Quadruple rainbow, very rare.

HT_quadruple_rainbow_new_york_sk_150421_

Think this guy got his pot of gold and made road pizza out of a leprechaun. :lol:

6ED5918B-DE55-9CBA-6A12634A00A02AE4.jpg

Some full circle

rainbow-full-circle-Colin-Leonhardt-Bird

f59724ef27b9769bee7e372cd480412d.jpg

DhAfZe6.jpg

• Like 1

I have actually witnessed a quadruple rainbow, just east of Tampa, Fl. about 15 years ago. I was heading east on my way home from work - about 6:00 PM on a summer evening. It wasn't raining where I was, but it must have done so farther up the road because they just appeared, one after the other, in a slightly delayed fashion. My jaw literally dropped in awe. These were the big arch style, and parallel to each other.

• Like 2

I have actually witnessed a quadruple rainbow, just east of Tampa, Fl. about 15 years ago. I was heading east on my way home from work - about 6:00 PM on a summer evening. It wasn't raining where I was, but it must have done so farther up the road because they just appeared, one after the other, in a slightly delayed fashion. My jaw literally dropped in awe. These were the big arch style, and parallel to each other.

Too bad you didn't find 4 pots of gold.  

A funny thing happened on the way to 2016:

In my childhood, I watched a lot of films on B&W tv. Today's TCM presentation of The Fly (1958) was one of those. There was a long period between childhood and middle-age during which I had not watched this. The end result is; my memories of this film are all in B&W. I have never gotten used to the color film. Whenever I see it on TCM, I always think to myself "It's been colorized".

Good grief, Charlie Brown..

• Like 2
I knew it. I just knew it. I watch the Twilight Zone marathons every year - I don't sit through every one, just the ones I haven't seen in awhile or my favorite episodes. I'm always telling myself "You're gonna see one you've never seen before." Well, I may have seen some I hadn't seen in 40 years but none that were never seen before... that is until this year's marathon. 

After its initial airing, "The Encounter" triggered complaints from Japanese-Americans due to the backstory of the character played by Takei: he portrays a Nisei (the U.S.-born son of Japanese immigrants) whose father spied for the Japanese navy during the Pearl Harbor attack. The controversial topic, and the complaints it engendered, caused this episode to be omitted from syndicated broadcasts of The Twilight Zone in the United States, although it was rebroadcast during a Twilight Zone marathon on the SyFy channel on January 3, 2016, and aired in syndication in other countries, including Canada, without issue. It is available through the numerous DVD releases of the series, the Season 5 and Complete Series Blu-rays, and on streaming Netflix.

WPI9wd5.jpg

• Like 1

It's hard to see our favorite Star Trek hero characters play villains in movies and sitcoms.  2 examples are George Takei as Vice-Admiral Baron Takahashi in "Blood Oath" aka "Prisoners of The Sun" (1990)......

george.jpg

....and Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov) as Alfred Bestor in "Babylon 5"

6.jpg