Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

And.. if you liked that one, you'll  love  this  one. Here's  a  shot  from  a  big  star's  film we don't get to see that often. Here he is - in character - onstage  with  his rockabilly band, a (lip) synchin' and a playin' (not) the heck outta his guitar.  Oh.. and  lookie  who's  backin' him up on that  fancy electric guitar of his in the background.

Glen was a great musician.    I had a few of his records,  all released before he ever sang and became more of a pop star.    

Glen was a great musician.    I had a few of his records,  all released before he ever sang and became more of a pop star.    

Here's one I'll wager most people don't know.. Glen was on tour as a member of the Beach Boys (1964 - 1965). He filled in for Brian Wilson when Brian decided to quit touring and hibernate in the studio. Glen replaced him on bass guitar and did the falsetto harmonies.

From L to R – Carl Wilson, Mike Love, Glen Campbell, Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine
15rgos5.jpg

Would you believe this is Lois Lane from the old b&w tv series?

Well, it is. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Ms. Phyllis Coates.

nohgzn.jpg

This would have been better in the Interesting Pic Thread. :) 

Those pretty legs are TOO CLOSE to the barb wire...psdouch.gif

The best lines in that movie is when your new avatar character asks 'they have no bananas?' and Grant says "yes, they have no bananas".  

Just love that movie.   

And they said it as if it were regular dialogue - not putting it across as a piece of comedy or a routine. That's what makes me like it more.

And of course, whenever a pilot goes, "Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca." with that monotone.. Good stuff.

--------------------------------------------------

in view of recent happenings in these parts, I Googled "message board meltdown" and nearly all results were sports related sites - no run-of-the-mill, Joe Schmo message boards for that particular malignancy. No sir (insert Pan troglodyte grunt here).

An article by Dr. Steve McSwain (religious references removed)

from beliefnet - undated

Why Are So Many People Unhappy?

Robert Louis Stephenson once wrote: “I have a little shadow who goes in and out with me; and what can be the use of him is more than I can see. He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head; and I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.”

Clever poem, but what is he talking about?

The ego, of course. It is the chief culprit in human unhappiness. Yet, most people live and die with this inner monster running their lives. They neither know this nor how to overcome it. If they did, they would take the necessary steps to bring an end to it.

“What is ego?” you ask.

It is your “social self”, as Martha Beck has labeled it. It is what the philosopher Immanuel Kant described as your “precious little self.” It is the illusory image of you, the karmic collection of all your life experiences. It is not really you, of course, any more than the you, you see in a mirror is really you either. It is the image of you instead, the self you project to the world. It is, therefore, what someone described as “your make-believe self,” or your “social mask.”

Ego is distinguished by the fact that it is self-centered, self-obsessed, and self-absorbed. It is, therefore, the human condition, the one reality all humans share in common. It is that part of you that you may think of as you but it really isn’t you at all. It is instead the “shadow you,” as Stephenson described it, or the “dog,” within you, as the German philosopher Nietzsche is purported to have once called it. Since the ego is this little monster inside everyone and is the cause, not only for personal unhappiness, but virtually all the relationship problems and social evils of our time, is there anything we can do—that I can do—to overcome it?

Here are three suggestions:

1. Know, first, that the talk that goes on inside your head is mostly the voice of your ego. Teach yourself to observe the voice in your head. Learn to watch what’s being said. And, most importantly, do not believe much of any of it. Instead, question it, at the least. This part of you who does the watching is beyond the ego self and, so it is much closer to who you really are anyway.

2. Second, do not fight the ego. You’ll lose almost every time. After thousands of years of human history, the ego has become quite clever. It is best just to recognize it within yourself, the conversations the self has with its-self and the many times it feels offended by something someone else has said or done. Just notice when the ego in you begins judging someone else or some situation in which you find yourself. Know that when you catch yourself complaining, arguing, debating with someone, defending yourself, feeling threatened, this all stems from your ego. It isn’t who you really are. So, do not shame yourself. Just recognize the ego when he, lifts his ugly head and starts talking to you… complaining to you… expressing its outrage over something about which it feels offended. No need to fight the ego. No need to judge yourself or condemn yourself when you catch the ego behaving in its customarily self-centered fashions. Just recognize it. The recognition alone is enough to diminish the ego’s control over you. Notice, too, that in Stephenson’s poem, he writes, “And I see him jump before me when I jump into my bed.” That’s the kind of observer you must become. As the observer, what Eckhart Tolle calls “the watcher,” you can train yourself to recognize the antics of the “little me” inside of you. If you will make this your practice, you will in time overcome the ego.

3. Finally, know that the way to greater happiness is the way of ego-death. Ego, the self-centered you, will diminish in you as you become more and more aware of its presence within. So, the more you become aware of the ego’s presence within you, the less control it will have over you… the less unhappiness and drama it will create in your life and relationships. You’ll discover yourself freer of self-judgment (itself the cause of much unhappiness); you’ll discover you are much less judgmental of others and situations (another cause of much inner suffering). When you judge another, for example, you are in a mental state of resistance. And, as a teacher of mine loves to say, “What you resist, only persists.” That is to say, if you don’t like something someone is doing but sit in continual judgment upon them (most of which, coincidentally, takes place in your head), you should not be surprised to see their unwanted behavior proliferate and your own inner suffering to escalate. Why not recognize this resistance within yourself, instead? After all, it is none other than the ego, and you can be free of it.

The way to happiness, therefore, is the way of ego death. In other words, As the ego in you dies, you live. Until it dies, you don’t.

Why Are So Many People Unhappy?

Why people are unhappy is because we as a nation... spoiled rotten!  Don't appreciate when one has 3 meals a day, clothes on their backs and a roof over their heads.  More care is given in that everyone has to always follow whats trendy, keeping up with the Jones's (covet your neighbors house), worry about fad/fashion, the next iphone or X Box.  Some wallows in self pity (oh woe is me) - who needs a good kick in the hind quarters.drop20kickthumb.gif

Worry about Justin Bieber, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, or "Dancing With The Stars". WHO CARES!!!

We got the country we deserve.

I'll stop now before a fuse is blown thinking about it.

Why people are unhappy is because we as a nation... spoiled rotten!  Don't appreciate when one has 3 meals a day, clothes on their backs and a roof over their heads.  More care is given in that everyone has to always follow whats trendy, keeping up with the Jones's (covet your neighbors house), worry about fad/fashion, the next iphone or X Box.  Some wallows in self pity (oh woe is me) - who needs a good kick in the hind quarters.drop20kickthumb.gif

Worry about Justin Bieber, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, or "Dancing With The Stars". WHO CARES!!!

We got the country we deserve.

I'll stop now before a fuse is blown thinking about it.

I'm sorry you're so unhappy.    Me?   I'm having a great time! 

I'm sorry you're so unhappy.    Me?   I'm having a great time! 

Nah, I'm happy, great spirits after seeing this on NBC4 New York.  Should make you happier.

Sorry for his tragic lost though.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/12/jimmy-greenes-beautiful-tribute-daughter

Earlier artricle about Jimmy Green this past summer.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Blog/Arts-Entertainment/July-2014/Jazz-Helps-Heal-Jimmy-Greene-Whose-Daughter-Was-Killed-at-Sandy-Hook-Saxophonist-at-Litchfield-Festival-Aug-10/

Jazz musician Jimmy Greene

article-2248651-1686BF42000005DC-574_306

dyb1b5.jpg

Every time I see this guy on Dragnet I know I'm in for a good time. His regular character is a retired police detective from Chicago, though he's played others. Friday and Gannon aren't aware of this when they begin their investigation and the guy runs circles around them as they work through solving their case - funny. You can even see Friday almost laughing - really good stuff.

Like.. ya'know?... like..

More on UM and UH

August 3, 2014 @ 8:35 am · Filed by Mark Liberman under Language and gender, Psychology of language

A few days ago ("Fillers: Autism, gender, and age" 7/30/2014), I noted an apparent similarity between male/female differences in UM/UH usage, and  an autistic/typical difference reported in a poster by Gorman et al. at the IMFAR 2014 conference.

This morning I thought I'd take a closer look at the patterns in a large published conversational-speech dataset. Executive summary: Click here to read article

(there will be a test later)

dyb1b5.jpg

Every time I see this guy on Dragnet I know I'm in for a good time. His regular character is a retired police detective from Chicago, though he's played others. Friday and Gannon aren't aware of this when they begin their investigation and the guy runs circles around them as they work through solving their case - funny. You can even see Friday almost laughing - really good stuff.

You may remember that Burt Mustin would become a semi-regular guest on Carson's "Tonight Show", Kid, and always had a funny anecdote to share.

(...I remember one particular joke he told about fishing had Carson in stitches)

You may remember that Burt Mustin would become a semi-regular guest on Carson's "Tonight Show", Kid, and always had a funny anecdote to share.

(...I remember one particular joke he told about fishing had Carson in stitches)

YES! And heeeerrrzzz... Burt!

The longest sustained laugh on the Tonight Show goes to Burt Mustin (look him up on Google -- you'll recognize him and the guy who played every old man in 1960's TV).

Mustin explained to Carson: A guy was ice fishing and not catching anything. He moved down beside a small boy who had a large basket of fish. He asked the boy what his secret was....and the boy mumbled: "Mmm-mmrph brfffa rmmm". The man didn't understand and asked again. The boy mummbled: MMM-MMrph-BRFFa- rmmm!" Finally the man said "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. What's your secret for catching fish???" Then the kid spit a bunch of worms into his hands and said: "I said, you gotta keep your bait warm."

• Like 1
My tv is broke. Maybe it's my calendar that's broke. TCM is showing a silent at 8:00 PM on a Wednesday evening.

.. never mind..

TONIGHT'S FINAL JEOPARDY

Category: The AFI's Top 100 Greatest Films

The Answer ! ! !

One of the Top 20, this 1946 film was based on a short story published as The Man Who Was Never Born.

The Question ! ! !

What is It's A Wonderful Life ?

From Steven Lewis' Bing Crosby Internet Museum

HOLIDAY INN VS. WHITE CHRISTMAS

"Thanks Steven for the musical highlights from Holiday Inn as this weeks audio treat! While I never got around to asking Bing which of the two film, White Christmas or Holiday Inn, he preferred I know he had a great deal of fun making White Christmas. I recall him saying that it was Danny Kaye's idea for the boy's "Sisters" number. 

Apparently Kaye had the idea of the guys mouthing the girls song, gartered gams, and the flower in the hair! Bing was, at first, opposed too this somewhat femine rendition, yet after they saw the rushes they added it to the film..."

dyb1b5.jpg

One of my favorite is the "Brady Bunch" episode "Bobby's Hero" where Burt gave Bobby a lecture about the true nature of Jesse James.  He said Jesse killed his father.

bm2.JPG