Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From around the galaxy

I always liked Burt Mustin.

One of MY favorites of his was when he was a senior citizen character on "All In The Family" who, to the disgust of Archie Bunker, who thought a man and woman living together without being married was a BIG "no-no",  was living with his woman friend without being married because, he explained, "If we got married, they'd cancel HER social security, and we'd be forced to live on half the amount of money we do now!" Which WAS the way they did it back then (They since changed it).

I unfortunately don't recall the actress that played Burt's companion.

Sepiatone

I always liked Burt Mustin.

One of MY favorites of his was when he was a senior citizen character on "All In The Family" who, to the disgust of Archie Bunker, who thought a man and woman living together without being married was a BIG "no-no",  was living with his woman friend without being married because, he explained, "If we got married, they'd cancel HER social security, and we'd be forced to live on half the amount of money we do now!" Which WAS the way they did it back then (They since changed it).

I unfortunately don't recall the actress that played Burt's companion.

Sepiatone

Burt's companion was play by Ruth McDevitt who was Josephine "Jo" Nelson in the All In The Family episode "Edith Finds An Old Man".

Here's the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3w9YH9RkaM

LOL !  Just let me hit one more foodie show while I'm channel surfing and I'll qualify. It'll be like one of those hurricane/tornado demonstrations showing how a 12 ft 2X4 is fired out of a canon at a brick wall.. and blows right through it.

Yep.. the "ol' celery stalk through the brain" trick

This is making me hungry

Me too! He's on the list.

These are a few of my favorite things

21ov85h.jpg

HEY! Wassamatta you here, HUH?! You no like'a the Italiano food or somethin', Kid?!!!

lidia-home.jpg

(...my wife's favorite PBS foodie...reminds her of her Aunt Tootsie) ;)

HEY! Wassamatta you here, HUH?! You no like'a the Italiano food or somethin', Kid?!!!

lidia-home.jpg

(...my wife's favorite PBS foodie...reminds her of her Aunt Tootsie) ;)

HA!  :lol:

I knew I would catch some buckshot on THAT one! Eye-talyun is probably my favorite cuisine, but I just can't get all homey and warm with Lidia's presentations - the FOOD, yes.. not the delivery.

Now, on the OTHER hand.. Let's take Martha Stewart.. well, YOU take her.. I like her presentations very much but I can't stand listening to her speech while she's doin' it. Then there's that shady-side stock market backstory that turns me off. So.. SHE'S off the list.

245m23d.jpg

• Like 1
Yeah, that line is from The Sound of Music..

which was just on (ACK!.. hairball..ACK! ACK!) a network (pfffhhtt!) the other night. They really butchered it by adding all the words to the songs at the bottom of the screen and highlighting each word as Ms. Andrews sang - kinda like follow the bouncing ball without the ball.

The oldest cookbook I used to have (two copies of 'cause I wore the first one out) was..

The Frugal Gourmet (1984).

20iswua.jpg

Julia's first book -- Mastering... Vol. I, is the Bible. I used it tonight, in preparation for Christmas dinner, and I will use it tomorrow, and on Christmas day.

But Kid -- you do know the scoop on Jeff Smith, don't you? Perhaps best left unsaid!

Now for some old tech.  These teletype machines were used for communicating (RTTY - TTY) and the first computer terminals. Got to love the old dialup (last video link.)

Lucky ham radio operators back during the 1960's - 80's could receive news raw from the shortwave using this setup.

Julia's first book -- Mastering... Vol. I, is the Bible. I used it tonight, in preparation for Christmas dinner, and I will use it tomorrow, and on Christmas day.

But Kid -- you do know the scoop on Jeff Smith, don't you? Perhaps best left unsaid!

I am aware, and was shocked to hear of his "misfortunes", but I do not let that interfere with my enjoyment of his cookbooks. His shows were prevalent at PBS at the time my interest in the culinary arts peaked, so I latched onto them for the duration - before I heard "the news". I do not condone his behavior, I merely embrace his product.

I see Mastering.. Vol. I is also available on Kindle at about half the price of a hard cover. I just can't imagine myself preparing a meal as I scan a tablet for instructions.. takes all the warmth out of the process. Give me a book with food-stained pages any day.

Oh. BTW.. I celebrate Christmas, so permit me to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year !

I am aware, and was shocked to hear of his "misfortunes", but I do not let that interfere with my enjoyment of his cookbooks. His shows were prevalent at PBS at the time my interest in the culinary arts peaked, so I latched onto them for the duration - before I heard "the news". I do not condone his behavior, I merely embrace his product.

I see Mastering.. Vol. I is also available on Kindle at about half the price of a hard cover. I just can't imagine myself preparing a meal as I scan a tablet for instructions.. takes all the warmth out of the process. Give me a book with food-stained pages any day.

Oh. BTW.. I celebrate Christmas, so permit me to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year !

And Merry Christmas to you and yours, too Kid!  (And you should see my copy of Mastering...  It's falling apart, and I wouldn't even trade it for a new copy of the print book, much less a Kindle copy!

Now for some old tech.  These teletype machines were used for communicating (RTTY - TTY) and the first computer terminals. Got to love the old dialup (last video link.)

Hey! This is an old friend. I've used several of these teletype machines in my early management years at various auto dealership's parts departments. Very tedious by today's standards.

Basically, utilizing the same underlying system as keypunch machines found in any data processing department.

Hey! This is an old friend. I've used several of these teletype machines in my early management years at various auto dealership's parts departments. Very tedious by today's standards.

Basically, utilizing the same underlying system as keypunch machines found in any data processing department.

My electric bill during the 1960's-70's came with a punch card.

punch_card.75dpi.rgb.gif

Operators doing that tedious job at the keypunch machines.  Wonder did they hate their job - oh my. Unlike China their employers didn't use suicide nets.

key-punch-students.jpg

Incredible the average Smartphone has 100X more power than the old system in the entire building.

IBM%2525207094%252520%2525281962%252529_