Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Remember the Alamo?

Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits posted a dinner conversation with film restorer Robert Harris which concerned the Director's cut of John Wayne's "The Alamo".

Harris pointed out that the only surviving roadshow print which was discovered in Toronto is deteriorating from within and is one step ahead of degenerating into industrial waste. MGM which owns the film is uninterested in saving this print. At one point, private donations were being offered but the Lion declined to accept outside financing.

Bill Hunt started a grass roots campaign to encourage MGM to reconsider and is asking that anyone interested in film preservation contact MGM Studios on Facebook.

I realize that not everyone who visits this site is a fan of Wayne, but this is only one of two films directed by him. It is the version that is shown here on TCM and should be restored like Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus and Bridge on the River Kwai.

Please drop MGM a polite request on their Facebook page to restore this historic film.

Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits posted a dinner conversation with film restorer Robert Harris which concerned the Director's cut of John Wayne's "The Alamo".

Harris pointed out that the only surviving roadshow print which was discovered in Toronto is deteriorating from within and is one step ahead of degenerating into industrial waste. MGM which owns the film is uninterested in saving this print. At one point, private donations were being offered but the Lion declined to accept outside financing.

Bill Hunt started a grass roots campaign to encourage MGM to reconsider and is asking that anyone interested in film preservation contact MGM Studios on Facebook.

I realize that not everyone who visits this site is a fan of Wayne, but this is only one of two films directed by him. It is the version that is shown here on TCM and should be restored like Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus and Bridge on the River Kwai.

Please drop MGM a polite request on their Facebook page to restore this historic film.

I'd bet they would wanna restore it fast enough if it was Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable or Greta Garbo. John Wayne deserves a helluva lot better given his unmatched public popularity over the decades of his life with the american movie-going public. 

This version contains several minutes of story that make the film better.  Some involve Crockett's romance with Flaca, which makes it more believable, and explains what happens to Emil Kant (Wesley Lau) who just disappears from the film with no reason given.  Another part is the party for little Lisa Dickenson where you first hear the song that is played at the end when Sue and Lisa leave the church after the battle. Other scenes show why the three main characters are there, especially Travis.  I much prefer this version to the choppier one usually shown elsewhere.

Some of these scenes, especially the ones with John Wayne and Linda Cristal, are not on a par with the rest of the cinematography but are appreciated anyhow.  I hope the film can be restored so the entire movie will be first class and released in this version.  In the meantime, thank you TCM for giving us the whole film.

Do you have a link to the FB page?

I'm an old guy and lucky to be able to navigate around this much, so, no, I can't provide a direct link. However, if you just go to Facebook and enter MGM Studios you should hit the forum.

Hope to learn how to post pictures and posters someday soon. I have a collection of over 15,000 vintage movie stills plus hundreds of posters and pressbooks and would enjoy sharing them with like minded fans.

Please contact MGM either on Facebook or Tweeter (whatever) or any other means and let them know that you would like them to restore Wayne's Alamo.

I'm an old guy and lucky to be able to navigate around this much, so, no, I can't provide a direct link. However, if you just go to Facebook and enter MGM Studios you should hit the forum.

Hope to learn how to post pictures and posters someday soon. I have a collection of over 15,000 vintage movie stills plus hundreds of posters and pressbooks and would enjoy sharing them with like minded fans.

Please contact MGM either on Facebook or Tweeter (whatever) or any other means and let them know that you would like them to restore Wayne's Alamo.

Gorch,

On posting pictures and posters, go to the Sticky forum (2nd forum on the main page) and then go to the first post in the Useful Information thread.  My first post was about useful info and how to post a picture, I believe, is #3:

(Or follow this link):

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48473-useful-information-for-the-new-boards/page-2