Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The TITANIC of Cameron

Palmerin

When do you suppose it will be shown?

It would certainly be a VAST IMPROVEMENT over Negulesco's pitiful 1953 potboiler, which actually shows the crew and passengers stopping everything to sing a masterly rendition of NEARER, MY GOD, TO THEE, exactly as if they were in a church service and not in the middle of a disaster that most of them would not survive.

Ooooh...I just can't WAIT to see the reactions to THIS one from all the people around HERE who think American movies all went to hell after Louis B. Mayer bit the dust!!!

(...must've felt like this place needed some "action", EH Palmerin?!) ;)

LOL

enhanced-buzz-15304-1356717487-0.jpegtitanic-dinner-scene.jpg?w=500&h=333

Well, yes, ma'am, I do... I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.

Jack Dawson

I unabashedly love the Titanic.

Hate it....although the sinking is something to behold..but that is sfx. Leonardo DiCaprio teaching Kate Winslet how to spit is not my idea of good storytelling. 

An the idea that Cameron's film winning 11 oscars puts it on the same level with William Wyler's Ben-Hur is just laughable.

Actually, it looks as though TCM has aired the 1997 Titanic in the past. I am glad I missed it.

Same here, obrien. 1958's A Night To Remember is the one and only.

DiCaprio is actually a passable actor now that he has matured, but he was beyond malodorous in this film.

I must be the only person in the world who has never seen it. Didn't the same director make AVATAR? Haven't seen that one either. Don't feel like I missed a thing.

I am sorry that you miss so many movies. I try to watch as many as possible in order to have a conversation topic less risky than politics and religion.

Regarding the A NIGHT TO REMEMBER of 1958, while still an excellent movie it's now dated as a depiction of the Titanic disaster. For one thing it fails to depict the moment when the ship cracks in two; for another it shows everybody behaving very calmly and politely thorough the event, when in fact things became increasingly chaotic and panicky as the event progressed. Cameron's movie depicts both circumstances very well.

Walter Lord, the author of the book A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, did extensive research on the story of the Titanic and the sinking of the ship. The 1958 British film  closely follows Lord's work and the film is done almost documentary style. There had always been conflicting accounts of whether the ship actually broke apart before it sank and we didn't know for sure about this until the wreck was actually found on the ocean floor in the 1980's. Cameron's vision of the ship breaking up is certainly overly dramatic. And Cameron's film is as much about a fictional romance story as the event itself, which is no different then the soap opera 1953 Stanwyck movie.  So each film serves its purpose as entertainment or as a sort of documentation.  I'll always take the 1958 film as the real story of the Titanic, and there are plenty of scenes of chaos in that film as the people come to realize that the ship is actually sinking and not everyone is going to survive.

DiCaprio is actually a passable actor now that he has matured, but he was beyond malodorous in this film.

Leonardo DiCaprio is more than just a "passable" actor. He is one of best American film actors of his generation. 

His talent can be seen in his first major film role in THIS BOY'S LIFE, made when he was still a teenager. 

Mrroberts, I hardly think the cracking in two of a ship that size can be "over dramatized".  In reality, the breaking up of TITANIC was probably MORE dramatic than the movie exhibits.  At least a lot louder.

Sepiatone

I only thought that DiCaprio was good in two films: Catch Me if You Can and The Aviator.

But have you seen The Wolf of Wall Street ? He's very good in that, plus the film is hugely enjoyable. Sometimes I like a celebration of bad behaviour, it's an antidote to all the po-faced disapproval floating around these days.

• Like 1

I think Leonardo is one of our finest actors too. His early performances ("This Boy's Life" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" - incredible!) are as good as his latest. I don't blame him for "Titanic" - insipid script and part. Cameron gets the blame for the foolishness - all those people dying was not enough drama - he needs Leo handcuffed, whatis name running around with an axe yada yada. At least the FX were cool and (confession) I liked that song. That it tied with "Ben-Hur" is appropriate. Two overblown and overrated movies. (ok the chariot race was great - forget the rest)

"Avatar" on the other hand was wonderful IMHO. if you like sci-fi fantasy they don't come better than this.

Walter Lord, the author of the book A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, did extensive research on the story of the Titanic and the sinking of the ship. The 1958 British film  closely follows Lord's work and the film is done almost documentary style. There had always been conflicting accounts of whether the ship actually broke apart before it sank and we didn't know for sure about this until the wreck was actually found on the ocean floor in the 1980's. Cameron's vision of the ship breaking up is certainly overly dramatic. And Cameron's film is as much about a fictional romance story as the event itself, which is no different then the soap opera 1953 Stanwyck movie.  So each film serves its purpose as entertainment or as a sort of documentation.  I'll always take the 1958 film as the real story of the Titanic, and there are plenty of scenes of chaos in that film as the people come to realize that the ship is actually sinking and not everyone is going to survive.

I agree. A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is the best film about the Titanic disaster. The special effects imo hold up pretty well too.

I think Leonardo is one of our finest actors too. His early performances ("This Boy's Life" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" - incredible!) are as good as his latest.

Exactly! From the very beginning of his film career he demostrated incredible innate talent and ability. It's not much that he has gotten better as he has gotten older but rather he has continued to deliver incredible work.  

Mrroberts, I hardly think the cracking in two of a ship that size can be "over dramatized".  In reality, the breaking up of TITANIC was probably MORE dramatic than the movie exhibits.  At least a lot louder.

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

I only say that because many survivors of the Titanic claimed the ship went under intact.  I would guess that the ship started to break up just before it went under and only broke apart as it was going to the bottom of the ocean.

TCM did air TITANIC during its 31 Days of Oscar perhaps four or five years ago. There are plenty of worse movies out there. The special effects were state of the art for the time, and Kate Winslet is magnetic. In the early portion of the film, set in the present day, there is some stunning footage of the actual wreckage. On the other hand, the love story is pretty hackneyed, despite the appeal factor of the young leads. A couple of the scenes follow those IN A NIGHT TO REMEMBER quite closely, to the point where I would be on the verge of accusing Cameron of plagiarism. However, Cameron's version, if it has any social relevance at all, does make a major point out of the class discrepancy that doomed most of the ship's poorer passengers, something the previous film versions of the disaster ignored.

In A NIGHT TO REMEMBER it is clearly shown that the lower class passengers received very little help or direction as to where to go to get out on deck and get to lifeboats. Many of these immigrant people spoke little English (if any) and few members of the ship's company could communicate with them. And many of the gates that separated first class and second class areas from the other parts of the ship stayed closed until the end. This made it more confusing for those 3rd class passengers trying to find their way out to the open decks of the ship. Many scenes show the general  snobbery of the upper class towards their "inferiors".

• Like 2

I only say that because many survivors of the Titanic claimed the ship went under intact.  I would guess that the ship started to break up just before it went under and only broke apart as it was going to the bottom of the ocean.

There was a recent documentary (Discovery channel or Nat'l Geo, I forget) that looked at the wreckage again and decided it didn't break in half the way Cameron's film shows, but broke from the bottom, smashed into itself, then one half broke off and slipped down, which would explain the conflicting reports from survivors. Not that this is Cameron's fault--scientists 20 years ago thought that was how it broke. (But it does make A NIGHT TO REMEMBER accurate again--yay!). Here's a video and another link:

(don't know how to embed videos)

http://www.rmstitanic.net/component/content/article/14-the-ship/126-the-secret-of-how-the-titanic-sank.html