Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The TITANIC of Cameron

Palmerin

I don't think it is fair to suggest that Cameron's film is doing any plagiarizing if it is only restating what are known or widely believed to be facts.  When the wreck was discovered and examined it was found to be basically in two pieces. Now that is a known fact. But the speculation still exists as to how that  result occurred.  Cameron simply chose to reenact it in a very dramatic fashion, which may or may not be what actually did occur. I believe he was going for the spectacular scene instead of what was probably the real event.   

I don't think it is fair to suggest that Cameron's film is doing any plagiarizing if it is only restating what are known or widely believed to be facts.  When the wreck was discovered and examined it was found to be basically in two pieces. Now that is a known fact. But the speculation still exists as to how that  result occurred.  Cameron simply chose to reenact it in a very dramatic fashion, which may or may not be what actually did occur. I believe he was going for the spectacular scene instead of what was probably the real event.   

Mr. Roberts, have you ever served in a naval capacity? Perhaps you have. I don't know. I have and I can assure you  as a Radioman for the USCG, I can attest to the horror of the ocean and what it can do to a ship and its passengers.

Large bodies of water can be unfeeling and deadly. Cameron portrayed a moment in "history" using a Hollywood venue. He's not the first nor the last.

Having said that, again, the ocean blue can be very, very deadly and horrifying for the persons in those circumstances.

Well, I would have to watch  A NIGHT TO REMEMBER again, but I caught it on TCM some years back, many years after seeing TITANIC, and I distinctly remember being struck by how similar the dialogue and situations were in some scenes. That's what I meant by plagiarizing, not that both movies show the same events, per se. I felt quite sure Cameron had seen the earlier film and was at the very least subconsciously influenced by it (the Jack and Rose story is wholly Cameron's invention; ironically, I found that to be the least interesting thing about TITANIC by far!).

Jake, I have never served in the Navy or any of the services and I have the utmost respect for anyone who ever has served. I have read a lot of history, military and otherwise, a lot of it regarding the Navy and ships because I have had several members of my family (Father and Brother in particular) who were in the U.S. Navy.  In another thread I recently made comments about the 100th anniversary of a peacetime tragedy, the sinking of the Canadian passenger liner the EMPRESS OF IRELAND in the St Lawrence River with over 1000 lives lost.  I even made a special trip up to Quebec in 2003 to visit a museum and learn more about that terrible event.  Although I have never been a witness to any incidents at sea I assure you I would never minimize the horror or consequences of any event.

There are similarities with this movie and the 1943 German Titanic, like the stealing of jewelery and having to get the person out of lock-up. I am not sure which is the best of all the ones made, I like to see them all as they are different enough that you can compare and pick parts from each movie. The German one though bombed in its day, not many wanted to see a movie during WW2 of hundreds dying on a sinking ship.