Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Australian films: hit or miss?

TopBilled

I think it's interesting that it is the last day of May, and this whole month nobody on any of the message boards here seems to have commented on the Aussie films spotlight TCM ran this entire month.

Does this mean people were watching and enjoying it (but keeping quiet)-- or does it mean that people were not watching (and not caring to comment)...?

Also, I know that in Europe there is a TCM channel which shows different movies than the ones we get to see in North America.  Anyone know if they have TCM down under?  Maybe this series was a big hit there, provided they get TCM...

I think it's interesting that it is the last day of May, and this whole month nobody on any of the message boards here seems to have commented on the Aussie films spotlight TCM ran this entire month.

There is a "May Fri. Night Spotlight: Australian Cinema" thread in the Friday Night Spotlight subforum in The TCM Programs message boards. I made a couple of posts there myself.

I enjoyed the spotlight very much. I think my favorite discovery was Gillian Armstrong's STARSTRUCK. I had never heard of this movie before. It was a TCM premiere and I am glad that TCM aired it.

There is a "May Fri. Night Spotlight: Australian Cinema" thread in the Friday Night Spotlight subforum in The TCM Programs message boards. I made a couple of posts there myself.

I enjoyed the spotlight very much. I think my favorite discovery was Gillian Armstrong's STARSTRUCK. I had never heard of this movie before. It was a TCM premiere and I am glad that TCM aired it.

Thanks Holden.  I totally missed that other thread-- sorry to have duplicated those efforts.

The movies were all very good. I am sad to say that none of them were to my taste and so I did not watch any of them completely.

I wish they would have chosen: The Return of Captain Invincible (1983) starring Christopher Lee.

At the bottom of this page within a dark bar there is a list of TCM's International Sites. It lists as next to the end of the line: TCM Australia / New Zealand. I clicked on it but it takes me only to www.tcm.com. I do not know if there is a separate site for their operation in Australia.

I only wish that TCM would make Judy Davis a SOTM.  It seems as if the only movies of hers that ever gets shown here are My Brilliant Career and A Passage to India, whereas in terms of talent she's right up there with her American namesake Bette.

• Like 1

Wendy Hughes for star of the month.

Canada's PayTV Movie Channel showed all of her movies back in the 80's and 90's. She's intoxicating. I understand that in Australia she's so well known and loved that when newspapers would write about her they'd just refer to her as "Wendy". Wasn't necessary to print her last name.

I watched some f them, and liked them all. I still have some on the DVR, including The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, which is a great film that I haven't seen for many years. They did not show my favorite Australian film, Bliss, from 1985. It is a wonderful dark satire, not available on DVD in the US. I ordered an Aussie copy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088821/reference

• Like 1

I do like Bush Christmas (1947), Evil Angels (1988) and Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) - good mysteries. There is also the TV mini-series The Thorn Birds (1983), which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I'd like it if TCM were to broadcast The Thorn Birds and (the unrelated) Shogun.

Quigley Down Under  (1990) and Crocodile Dundee (1986) are favorites, as are most of films in the Mad Max franchise.  I'm fairly superficial when it comes to Australian films.

Crikey, mate, loved it! Always enjoy the chance to see and learn about new (to me) foreign films (& cultures).

(Though some of the broader Aussie accents were kind of hard to understand.)

Ms. Weaver was an excellent host-- knowledgeable and confident on-camera.

Films were a fine mixed bag. Some, of course, I liked more than others.

Some of the new found favs were the new (to me) Weir films, The Plumber, Last Wave, Cars Ate Paris, Starstruck, Campion's Sweetie, Newsfront, ...Jimmie Blacksmith (great one) & Devil's Playground.

Great programming choice for a Spotlight.

Nice work & thanks to TCM :):)

• Like 1

Two other great Australian films not yet mentioned here:

Where the Green Ants Dream, a film about Abos in court, very moving

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088412/reference

And Rabbit-Proof Fence, a film about two Abo girls, and how whites mistreat them. Also very moving.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252444/reference

I actually remember the Australian New Wave films coming out in the late seventies and eighties.  The movies were reviewed in my parent's collection of New Republic as well as The Progressive [back when it had film reviews).  As comparatively low budget films they didn't have the Hollywood glitz so they got more respect.  In retrospect, it's clear that the vigor in international cinema was elsewhere:  Angelopoulous, Fassbinder, Herzog, Tarkovsky, as well as Iran and Taiwan.  Peter Weir, in particular strikes me as a fundamentally empty director, fitting all too easily into Hollywood's worst impulses.  One Australian film that wasn't shown was The Quiet Earth.

For me a hit, just by showing "Picnic at Hanging Rock."  The mood and haunting music are spellbinding.  Anyone else only recently discover it wasn't a true story?  :o

I hadn't heard either way - true or not, until now.. other than it was based on a novel.

Skimpole, I gotta disagree about Peter Weir. I count 10 of the films he's made as good to great, and I've only seen about half of his films. Yes, he did transition to Hollywood easily. Master and Commander, among others, Is proof enough that he still makes good films. BTW, The Quiet Earth was made in New Zealand. I like it a lot, and haven't seen it in years.

• Like 1