Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Silliest Production Number...

joefilmone

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if I'd call it the silliest, but my least favorite musical number in a film is "Once a Year Day" from THE PAJAMA GAME.  I just think so much great dance music is wasted by the choreography of people doing very little.

• 1 month later...

That scene from the movie was uploaded to YouTube I noticed . . .  and remember:  "I'm going to my dressing room until those damn ****'s know their steps!"  :P

Also:  I confess I've not heard of the 'Freed Unit'?  What might that be? 

The Free Unit at MGM was headed by Producer Arthur Freed who was responsible for some of the best classic musicals- including "Singing in the Rain", "An American in Paris" and "Gigi" (I did see the  dancing **** number on you tube and thought it was kind of lame...)

I reckon you'd really need to see the opening parts of the movie to get why the guy with the mobile camera is moving all over the place during the scene with the dancing dil--do's!   

ALSO:  If you like the movie GREASE and remember Susan Buckner as 'Patty Simcox' you can spot her in the chorus at the end of THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL dancing in the altogether. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really hated the routine in "Summer Stock" with all the dogs. I can't remember the name of the song that Gene Kelly and Phil Silvers perform; but they play a couple hicks with blacked out teeth, huge feet and have these annoying laughs. I truly loathe that number. Seeing that Judy Garland was supposed to be in it and didn't show up, she must have really hated it too ;-)

This number is even more annoying because it's on right before Judy's fantastic "Get Happy" number. It really makes the dog number look even worse by comparison.

• Like 1

The joys of bananas in "The Opposite Sex"

Ridiculous. And wasn't the whole show supposed to be "Yellow Gold", after this stupid number? It's a great example of how Hollywood usually got it wrong when trying to represent New York theater. The idea that the number could anchor a hit show is preposterous, especially since musical theater had basically moved beyond that kind of revue format. The bananas reminded me of the famous "Lady With the Tutti Frutti Hat" number from "The Gang's All Here", with the chorines toting around the giant bananas in different formations. Fun, but definitely silly. The first time I saw it was with an audience in a revival house and the hooting and hollering never stopped during the whole number. And I always hated the "Minnie From Trinidad" number poor Judy had to do. (I forget which movie.) That kind of phony "calypso" number never seemed to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I love the number, the silliest production number is "I Lift Up My Finger and I Say Tweet Tweet Shush Shush Now Now Come Come" from Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire aka My Son the Vampire aka Vampire Over London. For the uninitiated, Old Mother Riley was a popular British music hall/film character played by a man, Arthur Lucan. Hattie Jacques, who was to play Matron in the Carry On movies a few years later, is also featured in this clip, as is Dandy Nichols, who originated the role in England of the character who later became Edith Bunker in the U.S.

It's actually on YouTube, starts at about the 3-minute point on this excerpt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz2dMZjT-oA

• 1 year later...

And I always hated the "Minnie From Trinidad" number poor Judy had to do. (I forget which movie.) That kind of phony "calypso" number never seemed to work.

That's from NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS I think.

My 2 fave musical numbers are BY THE WATERFALL because of all the crotch shots in the pool. Absurd to think of a pool & fountains on a Broadway stage like that.

The other is Sweet Marijuana number in MURDER AT THE VANITIES. Love how the plants unfold to beauties as "buds".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings