Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ideas who will be September's SOTM?

TopBilled

I doubt they'll give Eva Marie Saint a SOTM tribute, just because she hasn't made too many movies, so the TCM programmers would likely be hard-pressed to create a month-long tribute to her. 

At any rate, we'll likely find out in the next week or so who the September SOTM will be. 

George Sanders.  Stop making excuses for why the most distinctive Hollywood actor who's never had even a SUTS day is being left out in the cold once again.  TCM could  easily fill a month with movies had major roles in. 

Nothing against Eva Marie Saint, but her film repertory pales in comparison.  I get the strong feeling sometimes that Sanders gets bypassed simply because he wasn't a traditional hero or a particularly charismatic / sexy anti-hero, and in part because he's also not around to be interviewed.  He just happened to be a supreme craftsman with a talent for enhancing every movie he was in, but for whatever reason that sort of actor doesn't seem to appeal to any particular sub-demographic of the TCM core audience.   Pity that.

• Like 1

George Sanders.  Stop making excuses for why the most distinctive Hollywood actor who's never had even a SUTS day is being left out in the cold once again.  TCM could  easily fill a month with movies had major roles in. 

Nothing against Eva Marie Saint, but her film repertory pales in comparison.  I get the strong feeling sometimes that Sanders gets bypassed simply because he wasn't a traditional hero or a particularly charismatic / sexy anti-hero, and in part because he's also not around to be interviewed.  He just happened to be a supreme craftsman with a talent for enhancing every movie he was in, but for whatever reason that sort of actor doesn't seem to appeal to any particular sub-demographic of the TCM core audience.   Pity that.

I am not averse to Sanders, but I am not a big fan of his either.  Some of his performances bore me, because I think quite frankly he is bored with the material.  As for his being Star of the Month, I think it would be best if it did not happen until they acquired the rights again for ALL ABOUT EVE.  TCM has not played that title in about three years.  I think they are spending the money instead on LAURA...just kidding, but I am probably right!

Regarding Eva, you become a good friend of TCM, you get to be SOTM. That's the way the world works.

• Like 1

Regarding Eva, you become a good friend of TCM, you get to be SOTM. That's the way the world works.

Obviously true, and it probably explains quite a few marginal SOTM selections.  And it's kind of hard to interview George Sanders or Lon Chaney.

Obviously true, and it probably explains quite a few marginal SOTM selections.  And it's kind of hard to interview George Sanders or Lon Chaney.

Get set for Drew Barrymore as SOTM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope its someone who hasnt been one yet. I'd love to see Joan Bennett featured. (They did Constance, equal time!)

I would certainly be on board for that but I have a feeling it will be Eva Marie Saint or some other Friend-of-TCM.

Ladd and Colbert are both getting SUTS days in August, and Kerr's already been SOTM twice.  We get enough repeats as it is.

Agreed. Usually Kerr and Greer Garson get half-day tributes each September (because so many of their films are in the Turner Library).

I'm a big fan of George Sanders but I can see logical reasons why he isn't SOTM;    In his most famous films Sanders isn't the lead actor.     I don't think it has anything to do with Sanders NOT being a traditional hero,  but instead that his best work was as a supporting player.   

NOW:  I still want to see Sanders as SOTM so I can see all of those great films with his fine performances (as well as the performances of the leads in these films),   but to me the reason I've given makes more sense than what you feel is his lack of appeal to any particular sub-demographic.   

I'm a big fan of George Sanders but I can see logical reasons why he isn't SOTM;    In his most famous films Sanders isn't the lead actor.     I don't think it has anything to do with Sanders NOT being a traditional hero,  but instead that his best work was as a supporting player. 

IOW he's not a "star" in the same sense that Cooper (groan) or Rooney (triple groan) or the Hepburns (both of whom I love) were.  I get it, but I'd like to think that the concept of SOTM could be expanded to go beyond that limited category, especially considering that half of them didn't have half his acting talent.  Others have made the same point about other actors such as Susan Hayward, and I'd agree that Sanders isn't the only one who's been ignored for superficial reasons, but IMO his omission stands out more than any other.

IOW he's not a "star" in the same sense that Cooper (groan) or Rooney (triple groan) or the Hepburns (both of whom I love) were.  I get it, but I'd like to think that the concept of SOTM could be expanded to go beyond that limited category, especially considering that half of them didn't have half his acting talent.  Others have made the same point about other actors such as Susan Hayward, and I'd agree that Sanders isn't the only one who's been ignored for superficial reasons, but IMO his omission stands out more than any other.

Having an actor like Sanders as SOTM allows the programmer to really mix it up;  e.g.  one day feature him in films with English settings,  another day his best films as a supporting player,  another day his best films as the lead male star etc...

There is so many fine movies to chose from that would make Sanders as SOTM an interesting month for viewers. 

NOW:  I still want to see Sanders as SOTM so I can see all of those great films with his fine performances (as well as the performances of the leads in these films),   but to me the reason I've given makes more sense than what you feel is his lack of appeal to any particular sub-demographic.   

Does the fact that Sanders committed suicide hurt his chances for being SOTM?

Does the fact that Sanders committed suicide hurt his chances for being SOTM?

I would hope not.    How he died shouldn't impact his chances for being SOTM.    The legit reason is access to films (e.g. why Susan hasn't been features as SOTM).      My POV here with regards to Sanders is only a theory as to why he hasn't been SOTM.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings